D&D 5E Should the next edition of D&D promote more equality?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dausuul

Legend
Women are not equal to men and men are not equal to woman...that is life so live with it.

Next question?

Umbran didn't ask a question. He answered yours. And you're playing silly games with the word "equal." For "equal," substitute "treated with the same respect and dignity."

am181d

Adventurer
Why do women want to be equal with men? Why do men want women to be considered equal to women? Society is all messed up and now our games need to reflect this? If I was a woman I sure as heck would not want to be the same as a male... Wonder why God, gods, alien overlords or whatever destroyed mankind in the past just to start over...?

Umm...? "Equal" means "treated with the same level of dignity and respect and allowed the same rights and opportunities." It doesn't mean "the same."

Beyond that, your implication here seems to be that a person can be kind and compassionate and smart and funny and good at Dungeons & Dragons, but if -- say -- they happen to have been born a woman, but feel more comfortable living life as a man, you would rather that God/gods/aliens wiped out the entire human race.

I humbly suggest that this is not a good opinion to have.

Dwimmerlied

First Post
Women are not equal to men and men are not equal to woman...that is life so live with it.

Next question?

Well that's your opinion, and I can't see you offering anything to this debate which is a shame, because we don't know if you have anything legitimate to say, and to be honest, your comment simply looks antagonistic. That in itself is interesting...

I suspect that anybody arguing that men and women should be equal intend it to mean that social inequality for men and women really sux (though I can't argue for everyone). Is this what you argue against?

Mike Eagling

Explorer
Why do women want to be equal with men? Why do men want women to be considered equal to women? Society is all messed up and now our games need to reflect this? If I was a woman I sure as heck would not want to be the same as a male... Wonder why God, gods, alien overlords or whatever destroyed mankind in the past just to start over...?

I have no idea what that last sentence means.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

Women are not biologically exactly the same as men. But then, one man is not biologically the same as other men - one man will be fat, another skinny, one short, another tall, one bright, another boneheaded, and so on. In the context of this discussion, "equal" does not mean "identical in all respects". It means equally deserving of dignity, rights, respect and opportunity.

And, so, I repeat - not being equal sucks.

Nymrohd

First Post
[MENTION=6706007]MrHemlocks[/MENTION] there is a massive series of arguments on whether art in D&D should be a tool of normative ethics or is moral-indifferent earlier in this thread. It'd be educational to check it out:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads