• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Should the next edition of D&D promote more equality?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Unfortunately, it's too lengthy and detailed for me to follow, so I'm going to guess that it's a friendly one. :)

Only until I can figure out how to make a devastating pun about "pemerton" and "peloton." At that point, the debate will be decided. ;)

(Just to be absolutely clear, I'm joking here. I'm actually quite glad to have such a stimulating debate, especially when it can be kept to such a mature level!)

pemerton

Legend
I strongly disagree; in no way is the action individuated by the results - you can't say that the results from running are in any way different than from jogging, except by the label (and definition) that you've arbitrarily applied to them.
The results of running are different from jogging - roughly speaking, the speed at which the legs and hence the body move - and this is what differentiates them as actions.

You can conceive of and evaluate an action without reference to its results. The fact that people do that all the time is proof enough of that. You individuate actions by the nature of the action itself
The nature of the action is given, though, by its results (or, if you prefer, the sort of event that it is - but if Davidson is correct then events themselves are individuated by the causal relationships in which they participate).

I mentioned killing upthread. Killings, hittings, etc are actions typically taken to have moral significance - even innocent killings still have a moral significance that (for instance) head scratchings typically lack. And a killing is such precisely because of its result - namely, a death. (Likewise a head scratcing - its result is a scratching of the head.)

You're confusing the proper methods of presenting evidence with not having heard of them.

Regardless, the proper method of presenting a supporting claim is to, quite simply, actually present it. Saying that supporting claims exist, and then saying that it's someone else's burden of proof to verify that, is suspicious at best, disingenuous at worst.

<snip>

You're not citing the works of others here, you're just paraphrasing them and making unverified assertions
I cited works and chapters for Pogge. I think that's good enough for the internet (in publication I would cite page numbers). I cited a book for Duff - I assure you if you read it you'll find that it is as I've presented it.

These books are not in the public domain, so I can't link to them if that's what you want. And I'm not proposing to type out pages of text.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt in presuming that that's an honest mistake on your part rather than an insinuation that I don't know those individuals' works.
I honestly do believe that you're not especially familiar with the work on crime and punishment of Duff, Gardner, Tadros, Tasioulas etc on crime and punishment. If you were, you're know that (i) they defend deontological and not consequentialist theories of wrongdoing, (ii) that they think that what makes actions like killings and hittings and robbings and the like wrong is primarily that they violate the interests of others when there is a duty of non-violation (and hence are, in at least once sense of that word, harms), and (iii) that that they argue that a morally adequate criminal law should (more or less) track moral responsibility.

The fact that you asserted upthread that deontological morality denies that the wrong of action is a consequence of the way it thwarts the interests of others - an assertion which is false, assuming that "deontological" is meant to bear the meaning that contemporary English-speaking moral philosophers give it - reinforces my sense that you are not that familiar with the works of these authors.

Given that you reject not only the general approach of these authors - whom I would label, at least roughly, neo-Aristoteleans of the contemporary Oxford school - but also Kantianism (upthread you objected to Kant's universalisation method for identifying the content of the categorical imperative, and your rejection of all references to results of action presumably debars you from using "treatment of others as ends and not merely as means" as a criterion of evaluation), and given that you haven't actually named any major figure with whom you at least roughly agree, interpreting your position is not easy.

Upthread you suggested that, from the moral point of view, attempted murder and murder are the same thing. This made me think that you regard "intended result" as central to individuating and evaluating actions. Yet in your most recent post you say that I "grossly overestimate the importance of a person's intent . . . in determining the morality of the actions they take."

So you think morality of an action turns not on its internal/necessary results (eg that a killing entails a death), nor on its downstream, contingent consequences for aggregate welfare (because you reject consequentialism), nor on the intention of the one who performs it (as per the quote in the previous paragraph), but on something else - the nature of the action, where that is ascertained without reference to its internal/necessary results, its contingent consequences, or the intention with which it is performed.

I hope you can see why I find that this a difficult view to make sense of.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
The results of running are different from jogging - roughly speaking, the speed at which the legs and hence the body move - and this is what differentiates them as actions.

Ah, but is that individuation, or just a description? At what speed, precisely, does the individuation occur between the two terms? What about for hustling? Or for sprinting? Or power-walking? There is no answer to these questions, other than personal opinions that defy the level of individuation that you seem intent on.

The nature of the action is given, though, by its results (or, if you prefer, the sort of event that it is - but if Davidson is correct then events themselves are individuated by the causal relationships in which they participate).

As stated previously, I disagree. I don't think that the nature of an action is determined by its results, as that means that an action has no particular moral dimension unto itself, but rather that it's a question mark, with its morality assigned after the fact based on little more than circumstance.

I mentioned killing upthread. Killings, hittings, etc are actions typically taken to have moral significance - even innocent killings still have a moral significance that (for instance) head scratchings typically lack. And a killing is such precisely because of its result - namely, a death. (Likewise a head scratcing - its result is a scratching of the head.)

And I hold that this is the result of having an imprecise definition for your action, hence the difference between "killing" and "murder."

I cited works and chapters for Pogge. I think that's good enough for the internet (in publication I would cite page numbers). I cited a book for Duff - I assure you if you read it you'll find that it is as I've presented it.

Again, this isn't sufficient if you want to present supporting evidence in a debate. You want to say that this supports your claim (though I find an appeal to authority to be of little value in a debate of personal moral philosophy), then you need to actually showcase the material in question, rather than saying that it's to be found elsewhere and the person you're debating can go look it up.

These books are not in the public domain, so I can't link to them if that's what you want. And I'm not proposing to type out pages of text.

In essence, you're saying that you can't produce the material in question, and so can't meet the burden of proof. That's fine, but in that case you shouldn't cite the material in question.

I honestly do believe that you're not especially familiar with the work on crime and punishment of Duff, Gardner, Tadros, Tasioulas etc on crime and punishment. If you were, you're know that (i) they defend deontological and not consequentialist theories of wrongdoing, (ii) that they think that what makes actions like killings and hittings and robbings and the like wrong is primarily that they violate the interests of others when there is a duty of non-violation (and hence are, in at least once sense of that word, harms), and (iii) that that they argue that a morally adequate criminal law should (more or less) track moral responsibility.

All this proves is why it is, I believe, folly to read someone's intentions from they're actions. Leaving aside the issue that you're once again citing the contents of these works without providing verification (besides your previous statements to go look them up), you don't know that I don't know this material, you're making an interpretation based on what I've said, and interpretations are capable of all manner of mistakes.

Far better, don't you think, not to make those assumptions in the first place?

The fact that you asserted upthread that deontological morality denies that the wrong of action is a consequence of the way it thwarts the interests of others - an assertion which is false, assuming that "deontological" is meant to bear the meaning that contemporary English-speaking moral philosophers give it - reinforces my sense that you are not that familiar with the works of these authors.

See above. The fact that I have a different opinion in this regard (one which does not make the system of morality I've outlined any less deontological in nature) does not mean, in and of itself, that I'm not familiar with the material in question. That's your attempt to read my intentions from my actions, showcasing the flaw in doing so. (It also doesn't seem very relevant, since I'm not sure what my disagreement with such works would prove or disprove.)

Given that you reject not only the general approach of these authors - whom I would label, at least roughly, neo-Aristoteleans of the contemporary Oxford school - but also Kantianism (upthread you objected to Kant's universalisation method for identifying the content of the categorical imperative, and your rejection of all references to results of action presumably debars you from using "treatment of others as ends and not merely as means" as a criterion of evaluation), and given that you haven't actually named any major figure with whom you at least roughly agree, interpreting your position is not easy.

I disagree here also; I think it's very easy, since I've flat-out told you what my position is. No interpretation is necessary.

Upthread you suggested that, from the moral point of view, attempted murder and murder are the same thing. This made me think that you regard "intended result" as central to individuating and evaluating actions. Yet in your most recent post you say that I "grossly overestimate the importance of a person's intent . . . in determining the morality of the actions they take."

Of course the "intended results" are not relevant to what I was proposing, that's because the individuation of action is, as demonstrated above, operating from what I consider to be a flawed premise. The nature of the action, in and of itself, is something that resists individuation, at least at the level you seem to be looking for. The best you can get in that regard is disagreement over what the nature of the action actually is (e.g. what sort of action an action is), but that's a personal decision (reflective of the larger debate on moral philosophy as a whole), since two people can disagree over whether someone is running or jogging, and there's no way of saying who's right or wrong.

So you think morality of an action turns not on its internal/necessary results (eg that a killing entails a death), nor on its downstream, contingent consequences for aggregate welfare (because you reject consequentialism), nor on the intention of the one who performs it (as per the quote in the previous paragraph), but on something else - the nature of the action, where that is ascertained without reference to its internal/necessary results, its contingent consequences, or the intention with which it is performed.

I hope you can see why I find that this a difficult view to make sense of.

Well, to be perfectly honest, not really, since it makes perfect sense to me; that's why I've been trying to explain it for quite a few posts now.

Gorgoroth

Banned
Banned
Yes, well, unfortunately for you, you live in a social context that isn't all about you. The priorities of other people do matter, as you are not, in fact, an island. Sorry.

The thing is, we are not, in general, talking about sex. We are talking about sexism, which is a different thing. You continue to miss that. Your refusal to see that this is not about sex, but that it is about gender roles and equality, is rapidly demonstrating to others that you are, for whatever reason, not really in the same conversation as the rest of us. You are, I'm afraid, rapidly making yourself irrelevant.

To be honest, I don't really respond to posts that I don't find interesting to respond to. Why should I?

Your thesis that sexuality is off-limits in order to bring in more women is kind of self-defeating, considering plethysmographic studies show they are turned on by vastly more visual stimuli than we are (hence, contradicting the bias in many other people's posts here...but hey, let's not let reality intrude in a talk about D&D art, right?), we shall have to have no art at all.

Last edited:

innerdude

Legend
To be honest, I don't really respond to posts that I don't find interesting to respond to. Why should I?

Your thesis that sexuality is off-limits in order to bring in more women is kind of self-defeating, considering plethysmographic studies show they are turned on by vastly more visual stimuli than we are (hence, contradicting the bias in many other people's posts here...but hey, let's not let reality intrude in a talk about D&D art, right?), we shall have to have no art at all.

The point isn't whether women find depictions of female sexualization arousing. The point is that in improper context and over-frequency of portrayal, depictions of female sexualization can have negative impacts on women's body image and sense of self, and place women in a negative, subordinate role to the interests of males in ways that can be demeaning and derogatory.

Nellisir

Hero
... the latest scientific studies show females to be just as driven by sex as men are...I don't think about is about sex per se...hiding any hint of sexuality de-humanizes people...I just read an article about how women's sexuality is considerably more pronounced than previously believed...Breasts aren't about sex, they simply are...

Do you understand that none of this has anything to do with this thread?

Even if you cover them up in plate armor, their presence makes themselves known.
I'm fascinated by this hitherto unknown fact. Personally, I'm a great fan of breasts, but I wouldn't say they always "make themselves known". Usually there's an intermediary, like the face (which is usually above the breasts, btw). Then again, maybe that's my mistake. Would the breasts be more forward if I addressed them directly? Or is this more like, I dunno...castanets? Do they make a noise when they move?
"The percussive qualities of the female anatomy, Mary-Anne, is why women have never successfully masqueraded as men."

Hence, my opinion that covering them up when it is NOT appropriate to cover them up, in art, is absurd.
It's interesting that you put the emphasis on the medium ("art") and not what is being depicted. Context is irrelevant?

It is simply sexist to my mind to deny the shape of our bodies
Which no one is trying to do.

Deeming it inappropriate that showing NO amount of human sexiness in art IS a political statement.
Which no one is making.

Picking which sexiness is allowable and which isn't is merely squabbling over specifics.
Because it's ART, man.

...straight males are a sizeable portion of D&D's fanbase, and you CANNOT argue that point.
Whew, I'm glad you used caps, or I would've argued it. Close call! Thanks!

I don't want D&D to better me as a man, I want to play it to have fun.
Because they are totally incompatible. You can be a Better Man, or you can be a Fun Man. I get it, you're sending us coded missives from Binary World! Don't worry, Horatio, the inkblot welcomes Mr. Pineapple on Tuesday!

I'd frankly rather they had no art than anti-septic, clinical art.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fox_and_the_Grapes

Not wanting to offend potential clients is a valid point, but only points to the fact that corporations are money-grubbing, lowest-common-denominator-chasing sociopaths, that will sacrifice anything for the almighty dollar.
Dagnabbit Morrus, you've commissioned art. Why didn't you tell us you were a denominator-chasing money-grubber? I feel so...used. Thank God I pirate everything for the moral good!

My only contention is whether being too PC saves them more money than it generates.
Because everyone buys RPGs for the t&a. I wish someone would invent a magical series of tubes that would bring naughty pics right to my computer.

I'd very much like the game to be more appealing to women, but am not holding my breath. Nothing's stopping them, the art's been sanitized since 3.0 (and probably 2.0 as well, I can't remember).
Maybe, in your case, the artwork isn't the problem? I don't have any trouble finding women gamers.

The Choice

First Post

Nooooope.

Missed the point, yet again. The thesis is not: Sex = bad. The thesis is: sexiness in inappropriate situations = not a net positive for the game.

Let's try this: you go to the doctor's to get a nagging injury looked at. You are seated, your pants are rolled-up to reveal your purple, bruised knee, and in walks Doctor Stevens in a speedo, and nothing more. And he's got an erection. Now say someone was to paint this or take a picture of this most awkward moment, and put it in a book meant to illustrate and explain the work of the average general practioner. Would that piece of art, commissioned by some authority, be put into the book?

Do you see where the disconnect lies?

Obryn

Hero

...and you continue to be posting in a thread, responding to arguments that nobody is making.

Is this whole act some kind of performance art? Is this an intentional parody of RPG message board conversation? Or is it just an accidental one?

-O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads