D&D 5E Show me your favorite missing class

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Kibbles and Sterling Vermin have produced my favorite 3rd party classes thus far... the Pugilist from SV and the Artificer from Kibble particularly.

Ashrym

Legend
I'm not sure if there's a good 3PP on it, but I've been toying with the idea of a dedicated detective class. I think there's room for non-magical classes in a few areas if one were to develop it.

Some 3PP have got good classes, but there are too much. Sometimes you can't remember what published what.

A "sentient" magic item as demi-PC is an interesting idea, but it would need playtesting.

Pathfinder has got the investigator, a mixture of alchemist and rogue, and the 3.5 version masque of the red death, a spin-off of Ravenloft had got different new classes, including the detective.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Warlord? Psion? Shaman?
Definitely Warlord first. After that, Avenger. It was a great addition to the 4e class set and I was bitterly disappointed in WotC for trying to pass off the Oath of Vengeance as "Avengers." If they actually made a 5e Shaman that had a spirit companion pet loosely analogous to the 4e one, I'd definitely give it a look at the very least.

Beyond that, I'll echo @FlyingChihuahua and say PF Summoner. It's a damn neat class, neat enough that I've considered homebrewing my own version.

Avenger is possible, but thematically is linked to the concept of inquisitor/witch-hunter. An Avenger was a kit in Ravenloft. The blood-hunter by Critical Role is more like "demi-monster", a class with a touch of monster classes.

I imagine shaman like a necromance cousin, but she would summon elemental, faes and "deathless" (undead healed by positive energy and hurt by necrotic damage, controlled by good clerics and turned by evil ones).

There is space for a monster tamer class, but this going to need time. And we should take care about potential abuses by munchkins, for example summoning an outsider with vivacious template because this irradiates positive energy, against undeads and to heal allies. Other idea I like is mixing the summoner class with the totemist shaman from Magic Incarnum, where the PCs summons a monster pet and spend points of essence to add monster traits. Even with the game mechanic of vestige pact magic could summon different monster allies.

Could astral constructs to be used to explore rooms with traps?

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
The magus (fighter/mage) class has already been mentioned, I think it looks pretty good (though I haven't had a chance to play it due to DMing). I do think the class has one or two issues such as other than 2nd level spells they don't gain anything at 5th level like other half-casters. I'd probably put war magic there instead of at level 7 as the author has done.

Rellott

Explorer
I love Ben Huffman/Sterling Vermin’s classes, which currently include the pugilist, magus, scholar, and spiritualist.

Mage Hand Press is also one of my fave 3PPs, and they have several amazing classes: warmage, Warden, witch, alchemist, craftsman, investigator, and gunslinger. They’ve got several other classes that they’re refining right now as well: binder, channeler, shugenja, martyr, marshal, and glitch.

And of course En5ider has put out several classes. My favorite among them by a long shot is the Noble.

Weiley31

Legend
And of course En5ider has put out several classes. My favorite among them by a long shot is the Noble.

I LEGIT like the fact that The Path of the Heart Noble has a Respec option for that cinematic moment where the Noble awakens to destiny and gains the ability to fight for the endgame moment when the story asks for it.
Shame bout that D6 hp though.

Weiley31

Legend
Okay I guess add the Feywalker from a touch of class as well!

Also, weird question, Im assuming with the Warmage Redux, the House of Kings/Queen's are the same with just the obvious gender flip? Cuz it mentions House of Queens and yet I don't see em anywhere as a House option.

Rellott

Explorer
Okay I guess add the Feywalker from a touch of class as well!

Also, weird question, Im assuming with the Warmage Redux, the House of Kings/Queen's are the same with just the obvious gender flip? Cuz it mentions House of Queens and yet I don't see em anywhere as a House option.

Yeah. They couldn’t think of thematically different mechanical options for them, and didn’t want to seem super sexist, so they just made the king class. There’s also some historical precedence for women being kings.

Remove ads