Simply6 Simply6: A Fast, Light Universal RPG

Simply6 is a fast, light tabletop roleplaying game for 2 or more players which you can play using just six-sided dice. I put this together over the last couple of days in my spare time (based on something I was playing with in the forums a while back) and have uploaded it to DTRPG. It's only about 20-pages long, and will likely be tweaked and updated after I get some feedback.

282161.jpg

Screenshot 2019-07-08 at 23.01.02.png

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Yes, but you have to spend all your Character-Creation Dice to get those 3d6 and then you also have only one Roll/day and these are spent.

Nah, you've misunderstood it. The countdown doesn't work like that.

You roll 3d6 and get 3,4,5 = 12. Success.

Later you roll 3d6 again and get 1,2,5 = 8. Failure. Oops.

Later again your roll 3d6 and get 2,6, 4 = 12. Success again. But this time one's a 6. So next time...

... you roll 2d6.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
So what happens when you don't have your equipment? (I suppose you get -1d6 but your FAQ is missing this.)

Improvised equipment is -1d6 (pg2). But honestly for attacks, all attacks do 1 damage, so you'd just punch instead! It's quite abstract. You're that good at fighting with whatever, but if you have a magic sword you get +1d6.

Improvised equipment is -1d6 (pg2). But honestly for attacks, all attacks do 1 damage, so you'd just punch instead! It's quite abstract. You're that good at fighting with whatever, but if you have a magic sword you get +1d6.

I assume there will be a lot of Hitting Harder going on throughout the system. Which is why I recommended moving that to the core mechanic section. The old magic system just about required using Hitting Harder if you wanted to heal yourself.

My only problem with the new magic system is it doesn't model Superpowers as well any more. Recovery in supers games is rarely tied to waking up the next morning.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I assume there will be a lot of Hitting Harder going on throughout the system. Which is why I recommended moving that to the core mechanic section. The old magic system just about required using Hitting Harder if you wanted to heal yourself.

My only problem with the new magic system is it doesn't model Superpowers as well any more. Recovery in supers games is rarely tied to waking up the next morning.

Gotta admit, I wasn't thinking about superpowers at all. I think that would require a different approach.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Just playing with some magic items. Just a few basic obvious ones. A wand or staff boosts your Magic skill, a magic sword boosts your Fighting skill etc.

Speaking of Supers, I suspect such a game would have to introduce a new chargen option: Powers. Things that you can do that no one else can do that you pay for in dice at chargen:
  • Growth (Cost 2d6) You can make yourself very big. When you are big: If two enemies are adjacent you can attack each one with a single Fighting roll. Add 1d6 to Fighting, Athletics, and Fortitude rolls. Subtract 1d6 from Dodge rolls.
  • Incorporeal (Cost 2d6) You can make yourself immaterial. While you are incorporeal, you are immune to physical attacks
  • Invisibility (Cost 2d6) You can make yourself invisible. While you are invisible, you add 1d6 to Dodge, Fighting, and Thievery rolls.
  • Shrinking (Cost 1d6) You are very small. Add 1d6 to Dodge and Trickery rolls. Subtract 1d6 from Athletics rolls.
  • X-Ray Vision (Cost 1d6) You can see through solid objects.

Etc.

Stunts.

You can declare a special maneuver as a stunt. Something beyond the normal use of skill. When you declare your action the GM might tell you you can only do that as a stunt. If you still do it, roll normally. Any 6s on the dice remove those dice from your poll.

Magic rolls are always stunts.

EDIT: The knight's charge ability could be done be a PC by does a Fighting Stunt, for example.

Last edited by a moderator:

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
[MENTION=1]Morrus[/MENTION], what's the pitch? In a world with thousands of "Simple, lightweight, fast" RPGs, how does this one stand out?

Just playing with some magic items. Just a few basic obvious ones. A wand or staff boosts your Magic skill, a magic sword boosts your Fighting skill etc.

What do you roll against to teleport? Or flight? Dragons have 6d6 flight. But when would you roll that? In place of Athletics?

Hmm. Dragons also have Appraisal. How does that work?

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases