• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Sneak Attack with a handaxe?

obsid

First Post
Sneak Attack says: "The attack must use a finesse or ranged weapon."

Does a handaxe with the properties Light, thrown (range 20/60) count as a ranged weapon for sneak attack (when thrown)?

Not sure because its still under the melee weapon category and I think it uses a str mod not a dex mod, but at the same time your actually throwing the weapon so it seems like it would be a ranged weapon....

If you cant then your only options for sneak attack seems to be a real ranged weapon, or a dagger, shortsword or a rapier. (with scimitar, a weaker version of short sword that I don't understand why it is in the game, and whip if you can get the proficiency in it)

Last edited:

Abstruse

Legend

Does a handaxe with the properties Light, thrown (range 20/60) count as a ranged weapon (when thrown)?

Not sure because its still under the melee weapon category and I think it uses a str mod not a dex mod, but at the same time your actually throwing the weapon so it seems like it would be a ranged weapon....

By RAW, you could use Sneak Attack when thrown only.

Basic Rules said:
A weapon that can be used to make a ranged attack has a range shown in parentheses after the ammunition or thrown property.

So yes.

<Break>

Scimitar is at least different from shortsword as a result of having slashing damage vs. piercing (which might be meaningful against some types of creatures). I suspect it is in the game for druids, who have historically had scimitar proficiency (even if that should have been sickle).

Last edited:

Klaus

First Post

Does a handaxe with the properties Light, thrown (range 20/60) count as a ranged weapon for sneak attack (when thrown)?

If you cant then your only options for sneak attack seems to be a real ranged weapon, or a dagger, shortsword or a rapier. (with scimitar, a weaker version of short sword that I don't understand why it is in the game, and whip if you can get the proficiency in it)

I'd say no. The wording on Sneak Attack seems to point to it being useable only on Dex-based attacks.

obsid

First Post
I'd say no. The wording on Sneak Attack seems to point to it being useable only on Dex-based attacks.

While clearly I think they were pointing in that direction (and that's explicitly what the pre-gened starter-set characters say), it is possible to use a str based attack with a dagger and still get the bonus (as it has the finesse property even if its not used).

I'd say no. The wording on Sneak Attack seems to point to it being usable only on Dex-based attacks.

It works with either STR or DEX attacks since finesse allows either ability score to be used. It seems to be an odd mechanical hole that the rogue is proficient with the longsword but can't sneak attack with it.

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
No because a handaxe is neither a finesse nor a ranged weapon (its a melee weapon) which Sneak Attack requires.

Charles Wright

First Post
From p. 45 of D&D Basic Rules v1.0

Handaxe 5 gp 1d6 slashing 2 lb. Light, thrown (range 20/60)

It's got a range listing (and so do javelins, tridents, and spears) so it counts for me IF it's being used as a range weapon.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
It's a change I'm not thrilled with, because it limits the available rouge builds -- non-sex rogues are fun to play. But still, given the rule...

[edit: ha! should have been "non-dex" autocorrect hilarity.].

While clearly I think they were pointing in that direction (and that's explicitly what the pre-gened starter-set characters say), it is possible to use a str based attack with a dagger and still get the bonus (as it has the finesse property even if its not used).

Strength-attacks with finesse weapons are clearly included -- so you can have a thuggish half-orc rogue with a big knife; just not with a long sword...

No because a handaxe is neither a finesse nor a ranged weapon (its a melee weapon) which Sneak Attack requires.

...or a handaxe.

However with a 1-level dip into fighter, you can use a blowgun...

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads