D&D 5E Sneak Attack with spells?

MrGrim2U

Villager
Player handbook page 201 states :

WHAT IS A SPELL?
A spell is a discrete magical effect, a single shaping of the magical energies that suffuse the multiverse into a specific, limited expression. In casting a spell, a character carefully plucks at the invisible strands of raw magic suffusing the world, pins them in place in a particular pattern, sets them vibrating in a specific way, and then releases them to unleash the desired effect-in most cases, all in the span of seconds.
Spells can be versatile tools, weapons, or protective wards. They can deal damage or undo it, impose or remove conditions (see appendix A), drain life energy away, and restore life to the dead.
Uncounted thousands of spells have been created over the course of the multiverse's history, and many of them are long forgotten. Some might yet lie recorded in crumbling spellbooks hidden in ancient ruins or trapped in the minds of dead gods. Or they might someday be reinvented by a character who has amassed enough power and wisdom to do so.

So RAW, spells are weapons, And if it is a ranged spell, meets the requirements for sneak attack

MrGrim2U

Villager
Player handbook page 201 states :

WHAT IS A SPELL?
A spell is a discrete magical effect, a single shaping of the magical energies that suffuse the multiverse into a specific, limited expression. In casting a spell, a character carefully plucks at the invisible strands of raw magic suffusing the world, pins them in place in a particular pattern, sets them vibrating in a specific way, and then releases them to unleash the desired effect-in most cases, all in the span of seconds.
Spells can be versatile tools, weapons, or protective wards. They can deal damage or undo it, impose or remove conditions (see appendix A), drain life energy away, and restore life to the dead.
Uncounted thousands of spells have been created over the course of the multiverse's history, and many of them are long forgotten. Some might yet lie recorded in crumbling spellbooks hidden in ancient ruins or trapped in the minds of dead gods. Or they might someday be reinvented by a character who has amassed enough power and wisdom to do so.

So RAW, spells are weapons, And if it is a ranged spell, meets the requirements for sneak attack

ECMO3

Hero
I think I'm sad. Am I reading correctly that a multiclassed rogue/caster (or arcane trickster) can't sneak attack with a ray? Since SA specifies finesse or ranged weapon? :(

I'm hoping I've missed something, but I fear not...
You can sneak attack at range with a shadow blade and that is a spell. Also if you get magic stone from a feat or multiclass.

As other's have pointed out, "spells" is too generic a category and by itself doesn't qualify for Sneak Attacks. However, certain spells do count as weapons, or in the case of Green Flame Blade and Booming Blade use weapons as the focus to make a weapon attack, and therefore could qualify. If a spell uses a weapon, then the weapon must qualify too. If the spell itself is a weapon, and that weapon qualifies like in the case of Shadow Blade, then you can make Sneak Attacks.

Suffice to say, the list is small but it's still possible to Sneak Attack with a spell.

Dausuul

Legend
FYI, the original post in this thread was 7 years ago--just after the launch of 5th Edition. Shadow blade, green-flame blade, and booming blade didn't exist at the time.

Magic stone did, but it's debatable whether the stones count as a ranged weapon. You make a ranged spell attack with them, not a weapon attack. It is true that Sneak Attack looks at the weapon type rather than the attack type, but "stone" is not a listed weapon, so it would be up to the DM; in most contexts, I would treat a stone as an improvised melee weapon with the thrown property.

Last edited:

HammerMan

Legend
I believe and assume the intent (and the RAW) is for there to be no way to sneak attack with a spell...

I ignore that because it is dumb. If I can place a knife/shortsword/crossbow bolt in the right place to deal extra damage why can I not with a scorching ray or eldritch blast.

Remove ads