D&D 5E Sneak Attack with spells?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Given that we can sneak attack with booming blade and greenflame blade there's really no reason not to sneak attack with cantrips.
Neither cantrip allows a sneak attack. The sneak attack comes from the base weapon attack that you are making. Then the cantrip does additional damage. This is different than a firebolt getting sneak attack damage.

Neither cantrip allows a sneak attack. The sneak attack comes from the base weapon attack that you are making. Then the cantrip does additional damage. This is different than a firebolt getting sneak attack damage.
Obviously. (Also cantrips are not finesse weapons). The point is that it wouldn't really create balance issues if we did allow it.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Obviously. The point is that it wouldn't really create balance issues if we did allow it.
It would increase damage a little bit, since a spell like firebolt does better base damage and has a longer range than most rogue ranged weapons. The makes it a bit of a balance issue, but not a large one. While I wouldn't allow it in my game because cantrips don't strike as precisely as say an arrow point, I wouldn't have an issue with someone else allowing it. It's not that big of a deal.

It would increase damage a little bit, since a spell like firebolt does better base damage and has a longer range than most rogue ranged weapons. The makes it a bit of a balance issue, but not a large one. While I wouldn't allow it in my game because cantrips don't strike as precisely as say an arrow point, I wouldn't have an issue with someone else allowing it. It's not that big of a deal.
It would do more damage than a shortbow (but not by much as a proportion of total damage). It still does less damage than Green Flame Blade.

You would also need to make the attack roll with Intelligence rather than Dexterity, which has considerable trade-offs for a Rogue. (You could max your Intelligence rather than Dex, but your Melee, Skills AC and Dex saving throw would all suffer.)

Greater Range I'll grant you, but I don't think it's a big deal.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
It would do more damage than a shortbow (but not by much). It still does less damage than Green Flame Blade.
Does it? Green Flame blade needs to have creatures bunched up to get the increased damage. You're going to find many more single targets where Firebolt will do more damage than Green Flame blade, so in the long run Firebolt will win the damage race. AND you get to stay at range and not be right next to the thing you're attack, which increases safety.
You would also need to make the attack roll with Intelligence rather than Dexterity, which has considerable trade-offs for a Rogue. (You could max your Intelligence rather than Dex, but your Melee, Skills AC and Dex saving throw would all suffer.)
True. I was thinking multi-class where Int would be high.
Greater Range I'll grant you, but I don't think it's a big deal.
I didn't think it was a big deal, either. It's just better by a little bit. ;)

Green Flame Blade (and Booming Blade) damage scales like all other cantrips. At level 5 the damage with a rapier is 2d8+dex. (Assuming Dex 18 that's 13.5 Average)

Firebolt at level 5 is 2d10 (11 average).

That's not even taking the secondary damage into consideration.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Green Flame Blade (and Booming Blade) damage scales like all other cantrips. At level 5 the damage with a rapier is 2d8+dex. (Assuming Dex 18 that's 13.5 Average)

Firebolt at level 5 is 2d10 (11 average).

That's not even taking the secondary damage into consideration.
Yep. I forgot the dex bonus to damage. It's 13(4.5x2 +4) to 11, so slightly more damage to single targets. You still have to be right next to the enemy, though, so it's much more dangerous to use than firebolt.

Edit: Also, if you crit with the firebolt you are doing 2d10 more damage, instead of 1d8. That just gets more pronounces at higher levels.

Remove ads