Sneak attacking undead and constructs seems wrong

Autumn Bask

Villager
First a thread about Rogues needing a Dpr increase, and now a thread about Rogues needing a Dpr decrease. What is going on? I never realized the state of Rogue's damage was so contentious.

Well, in case you missed details earlier in the thread, he is actually a rogue/fighter multiclass (5/5), 10th character levels total in the typical sense but we play the old version of multiclassing, so he has the abilities of both a Fighter 5 and a Rogue 5, but only the HP and prof bonus of a 5th level character. It gives us more options and abilities at lower levels, but we need twice the XP so slows things down.

However, you're really going to need to explain what you mean by this. Are the other character's all tenth level, or are they just fifth level? Or are they somewhere in-between? Basically, your comment tells me everything I need to know about your Rogue, but not the status of your Fighter and Barbarian.

And when you say old rules, do you mean, like, 3.5 Multiclassing? Because this is the first I'm hearing of variant rules for MCing in 5e. At least official (or previously official) ones.

Dausuul

Legend
However, you're really going to need to explain what you mean by this. Are the other character's all tenth level, or are they just fifth level? Or are they somewhere in-between? Basically, your comment tells me everything I need to know about your Rogue, but not the status of your Fighter and Barbarian.

And when you say old rules, do you mean, like, 3.5 Multiclassing? Because this is the first I'm hearing of variant rules for MCing in 5e. At least official (or previously official) ones.

I think dnd4vr is talking about really old multiclassing, 1E-style. In modern versions of the game, it would be known as "gestalt" multiclassing.

*dons grognard hat*

The way it worked back in the day was, if you wanted to multiclass, you did it at character creation. From then on, all earned XP was split evenly between your classes. You shared the abilities of all the classes, and averaged their hit points.

Thus, let's say each PC currently has 20,000 XP. For a regular PC, that would put them at 6th level, close to 7th. The rogue/fighter would split those XP between classes: 10,000 to the rogue half, and 10,000 to the fighter half, which means level 5 in both classes*. The character has all the abilities of a rogue 5 and a fighter 5; hit points halfway between fighter 5 and rogue 5; and the proficiency bonus of a 5th-level character.

If that seems brokenly powerful to you... well, that's because it is. Multiclassing was insanely good in AD&D, which is probably why the system was completely scrapped for 3E and replaced with a streamlined version of the AD&D dual-classing mechanic.

[SIZE=-2]*A 5E character multiclassing this way will always have the same level in all classes. In 1E and 2E, each class had its own XP table, so a multiclassed PC's levels would not always be in sync.[/SIZE]

ParanoydStyle

Peace Among Worlds
I thought everyone who had actually taken a moment to think about this had realized that yes, Hit Points are not just meat or the structural integrity of the body. And I try to keep that in mind when I'm DMing.

But here's an interesting question. A Paladin, at full hp (100) gets hit with an attack that does 27 hp. By Gygax's reasoning, that's not getting into those "last few hit points" that directly reflect physical health. But would you ever narrate/describe that to the player as "the attack just barely misses you?". No, even though that's a correct use of the "hit points" concept, it would confuse the player with the attack not having hit their ARMOR CLASS. But would you ever even narrate/describe the same hit as leaving just a scratch or a bruise? I feel like one wouldn't because that would confuse the player even worse.

Just something to think about.

Staffan

Legend
Heh. whoo, a HP=Meat argument. Gee, that'll go far.

*opens up a bag of popcorn to watch the show*

58a.jpg

Yeah, but since the dead horse is prone I get advantage on my attacks, and that lets me use my sneak attack feature!

Remove ads