D&D 5E So…..is the Dungeon Master’s Guide strictly necessary?

KarinsDad

Adventurer
I think that the magic items will be so different from previous versions that the few examples that we have in LMoP, HotDQ, and the DMG pdf will not be sufficient for some people (myself included). Sure, a DM could do all of the work to create magic items (and quite frankly, a long term D&D game with zero magic items is just not worth playing IMO), but there will be magic item mechanics that are brand new that a DM might not be privy to without the DMG.

I think that playing for an extended period of time without the DMG will be a somewhat subotimal experience due to all of the new mechanics and flavor that the DMG will bring to the table. Just like I think that playing for an extended period of time with the basic rules and without the PHB will be a somewhat subotimal experience. Strictly necessary? No. Necessary for a better all around experience? Yes.

Grainger

Explorer
I can easily make up new monster stats, and handing out XP (or levels) is more an art than a science, so personally I don't need either of those (although I would find it odd if they were omitted).

I wouldn't mind an easy but powerful mass combat system (a la War Machine in BECMI). That said, I wouldn't be annoyed if there wasn't a mass combat system - I realise it's a bonus if we get it.

I'd also like tips on DMing (I'm an old hand, but I can always up my game, and incorporate more modern ideas). I know we can get tips on this forum, and blogs etc., but I'd like to hear it from the designers of the game, and how it relates to their game.

Magic items are also useful to me - these are harder to make up than monsters and keep them varied (for me, at least). Traps, too.

Basically, I'm hoping for a grab-bag of ideas that help me come up with interesting adventures. I'm not so keen on hard-and-fast rules, but rather inspiration.

Remove ads