• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

So I've hit the damage roadblock on an Archer

Kwitchit

First Post
Azaar said:
With my scout (wielding a +2 corrosive composite (+3 STR) shortbow), I get one attack (unless skirmish doesn't impede with the prospect of a full-round action -- correct me on that, if anyone can?), but I'm averaging the same damage with one shot that you're struggling to attain in three shots. If I'm stuck with one attack, then I'll need to look into Spring Attack/Bounding Assault/Rapid Blitz to get three attacks per round once I'm eligible for those feats.

You can't take a full attack if you move- so Skirmish and full-round actions don't mix. The way to boost your damage is Greater Manyshot, which lets you make several ranged attacks as a standard action and apply precision-based damage (ie Skirmish) to each. Admittedly, it only works within 30 feet and you take a penalty to the attack roll, but it's what makes archer Scouts worthwhile.

arwenarrowny

First Post
If you plan on continuing to add ranger levels, have a feat slot to spend, and are fighting favored enemies a lot . . . consider Improved Favored Enemy from Complete Warrior. It gives you a +3 damage bonus against all your favored enemies. Otherwise, enhancements for your bow and Str score sound like your best bet if you're unwilling/unable to multiclass further.

szilard

First Post
Magic arrows may not be the most financially efficient method of getting damage, but they are effective. If your DM will let you split up a 50-pack, getting 5 sets of 10 +1 bane arrows against various creature types isn't a bad deal at all.

-Stuart

Azaar

Explorer
Originally posted by Kwitchit

You can't take a full attack if you move- so Skirmish and full-round actions don't mix. The way to boost your damage is Greater Manyshot, which lets you make several ranged attacks as a standard action and apply precision-based damage (ie Skirmish) to each. Admittedly, it only works within 30 feet and you take a penalty to the attack roll, but it's what makes archer Scouts worthwhile.

Hmm... didn't know Greater Manyshot could be that handy. I guess now I have reason to take Manyshot/Greater Manyshot and potentially Psionic Shot/Greater Psionic Shot/Fell Shot and then Epic Psionic Focus to use Greater Psionic Shot/Fell Shot with Greater Manyshot... grief, I feel stupid now in some ways. Thanks for the tip.

What about getting a couple of 1d6 energy damage (i.e. fire, cold, electricity, etc.) special abilities added to your bow? That will add an average of 3.5 damage per shot and they ignore damage reduction. Yes, some creatures will have energy resistance which will cancel it out, but surely not every creature.

Olaf the Stout

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Monkeygrip and an oversized bow.

Monkey Grip (in 3.5, at least) applies only to Melee weapons, but the similar Powerful Build racial trait doesn't seem to.

Also, seconding Arkhandus' PsyWar suggestion- there's something to be said to adding 2d6 or more psi damage, or resolving a ranged attack as a touch attack.

wolfpunk

First Post
The Coliision magical item property from the XPH would add a flat +5 non-typed damage to each successful hit. Very good for bows in my opinion.

boolean

Explorer
Dannyalcatraz said:
Monkey Grip (in 3.5, at least) applies only to Melee weapons, but the similar Powerful Build racial trait doesn't seem to.
The rules are fuzzy when it comes to wrong-sized projecctile weapons. A long bow isn't a two-handed weapon, it's a projectile weapon that requires two hands to use. It isn't really stated anywhere if it's possible (or what is required) for a human to use a Large long bow, so it's possible that the only drawback is the -2 to hit per size category.

Elethiomel

First Post
Also, consider that Monkey Grip only applies to weapons wielded in the main hand. The bow is technically only wielded in the off hand - the main hand is used to draw arrows and pull the string. ;)

Rackhir

Explorer
The elemental burst enchantments do scale with crit multiplier so at a x4 multiplier they will give you 3d10 on a crit (eventually hitting 4d10 at x5 multiple) and do include the d6 elemental damage as well. You might be slightly better off on average with two elemental enchantments, rather than the burst enchantment, but since you're going DWS anyway it does make some sense to optimize for crits. Especially since they will blow through any DR quite nicely.

RE: Favored enemies. Don't forget when you get the second favored enemy at 5th, you also get an additional +2 and that can be applied to EITHER favored enemy (the original or the new one). So you can get a +4 vs what ever you select as your second favored enemy.

There is also the Greatbow 1d10/x3-20 which IIRC does not require an exotic weapon proficiency. However it is too big to use while mounted (mounted combat works really well with archery BTW).

Remove ads