So, Wandavision?

pukunui

Legend
Starting with “I had a brother.” Mostly, it’s the cadence.
Yeah, she definitely drops the sitcom voice and goes somber / sober, but I don’t hear the accent other than in her pronunciation of “Pietro”. But that’s fine! I understand her accent became less pronounced through her movie appearances, so I’m not expecting it to suddenly go all thick again.

Retreater

Legend
We just watched the first episode. I wasn't hooked, but at least the cast is good enough for me to watch another episode - but I'm not particularly excited about it. I'm guessing it's pretty meta, but I think there should have been more clues or at least some indication of why things are weird in the pilot episode. I'm familiar with the general theme of the show, and I think it did a poor job conveying that.

Rune

Once A Fool
We just watched the first episode. I wasn't hooked, but at least the cast is good enough for me to watch another episode - but I'm not particularly excited about it. I'm guessing it's pretty meta, but I think there should have been more clues or at least some indication of why things are weird in the pilot episode. I'm familiar with the general theme of the show, and I think it did a poor job conveying that.
I personally like the slow burn. More suspenseful.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
We just watched the first episode. I wasn't hooked, but at least the cast is good enough for me to watch another episode - but I'm not particularly excited about it. I'm guessing it's pretty meta, but I think there should have been more clues or at least some indication of why things are weird in the pilot episode. I'm familiar with the general theme of the show, and I think it did a poor job conveying that
yeah, one of the weaknesses of the show (I think) is that relies on a lot of meta knowledge from both the comics and historic sit-coms themes which even casual viewers of the MCU might not understand - if they had run episodes 1-3 together it may have done better to hook the casual viewers rather than relying on fans

MarkB

Legend
yeah, one of the weaknesses of the show (I think) is that relies on a lot of meta knowledge from both the comics and historic sit-coms themes which even casual viewers of the MCU might not understand - if they had run episodes 1-3 together it may have done better to hook the casual viewers rather than relying on fans
Sitcoms yes, but I know nothing of the comics and I'm still finding it pretty compelling.

I'm actually considering quitting this thread, because I want to take the show on its own merits, without being influenced by the comics-based speculations.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Plenty of folks outside the US grew up on US television. Our culture has an insidious reach across the globe!

Also, Wanda's pretty much an assimilated American now after joining the Avengers, and has had plenty of time to catch up on any TV she might have missed. And considering her past, I can imagine that classic American sitcoms might have had a special appeal to her.

In between the Avengers movies, Wanda's been power-streaming all of the classic American sitcoms! :)
I think you vastly overestimate the familiarity of 50s/60s US sitcoms to Eastern European millennials.

I don't think anyone else has mentioned this about Vision, regarding whether he is real or not, but it looks to me that this version of him still has the Mind stone in his forehead, even though that stone no longer exists. So does that boost the idea of him not being alive again or did Wanda somehow get the Mind stone from an alternate dimension, the way the Avengers collected them in Endgame? I cannot remember now if the alternate Mind stone was returned to it's dimension in Endgame or not.

Also, there are rumors now that Evan Peters, who played Pietro in the Fox X-Men movies, has been signed by Marvel to appear again as Pietro in the MCU. Whether that means he will show up in this series, or maybe not til the Doctor Strange sequel, it will be interesting if true.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Also, I wonder if we’ll get an in-universe explanation as to why Wanda has chosen to model her alternate reality on TV sitcoms and why she is progressing through the decades.
There's also the possibility that the sitcoms are an allusion - that to Wanda she isn't in a sitcom and it isn't changing, but to those viewing it outside (be it SWORD or us from beyond the 4th wall) it's the way to explain Wanda's mental context.

Dire Bare

Legend
I don't think the show relies on meta-knowledge of the comics, or of American classic sitcoms. Like most of the Marvel movies and shows, there's a LOT of Marvel trivia worked into the show, both as easter eggs and clues to what's going on (and what's coming in later movies/shows) . . . but it's not necessary to recognize to enjoy the show and understand what's going on. The show IS an American production, made primarily for an American audience . . . but again, I don't think having a familiarity with classic American sitcoms is necessary to understand and enjoy the show. I think that having that familiarity ENHANCES enjoyment of the show . . . . the production and acting NAILS the tone and style of classic American TV, and when things shift to a creepy moment, breaking the sitcom vibe . . . it's really effective.

pukunui

Legend
I don't think the show relies on meta-knowledge of the comics, or of American classic sitcoms. Like most of the Marvel movies and shows, there's a LOT of Marvel trivia worked into the show, both as easter eggs and clues to what's going on (and what's coming in later movies/shows) . . . but it's not necessary to recognize to enjoy the show and understand what's going on. The show IS an American production, made primarily for an American audience . . . but again, I don't think having a familiarity with classic American sitcoms is necessary to understand and enjoy the show. I think that having that familiarity ENHANCES enjoyment of the show . . . . the production and acting NAILS the tone and style of classic American TV, and when things shift to a creepy moment, breaking the sitcom vibe . . . it's really effective.
I'm contemplating having my three daughters watch the show (I've been watching it by myself so far) to see what they think. None of them are all that steeped in the MCU, nor are they particularly familiar with old American sitcoms. I'm curious to see what they think of it without any of that extra meta context.

EDIT: As an aside, I recall similar conversations being had not that long ago about The Mandalorian.

Remove ads