D&D 5E So what exactly is Wizards working on?

Ilbranteloth

Explorer
Aside from the content on the website, the 25 page book, and the hardcover adventure, they also announced that there are 16(!) adventures set in Mulmaster and the surrounding region for the Adventurer's League for this adventure cycle. I think there were 12 for the Tyranny of Dragons arc.

Plus whatever content is planned for the next arc, whatever unannounced projects are in the works, compiling and then responding to the survey (and the next one) - not just the response online, but designing new stuff as a result. They may also be responsible for approving licensed products (not necessarily the T-shirts, but designs for new minis, DM screens, spell cards, etc.).

It's like any other job (and I'm assuming that even the most critical people here have jobs). Most jobs have a lot of responsibilities and no matter what people think, you really don't know what else those are. I'm sure that in addition to developing (and selling) their business model/plan to whoever they report to, they also have to track/report the success of that plan, make adjustments, etc. I don't know how involved they are in the actual production - managing deadlines, proofing, working with the printers, distributors, selling (as in to new dealers, distributors, etc.), or any of the other processors that come with a business like this.

It also seems like there is a fair amount of in house playtesting. So maybe converting a bunch of spells isn't that much work (although I'm finding that all of the conversions I'm doing not only take time to convert, but to document even if only copy/pasting and modifying. Then testing, testing, modifying, and testing again.

And that doesn't include the discussions and development of things that aren't released. I would have to imagine that a fair amount of material is proposed, each of which requires a write-up of some sort, and occasionally something that is initially approved may end up being pushed to a later date for various reasons and then you start developing something else.

Are they responsible for approving novel plots and maintaining world consistency? I don't know, but if so that's more work. What about the video games?

I, for one, am extremely happy with what I've been seeing. Sure, I'm not using everything. I looked through the Eberron stuff on Unearthed Arcana, and basically found nothing that I'll use in my Forgotten Realms campaign as is, there are still some things I can take from it. Plus I'm sure there were plenty of other people that really loved the material. They aren't producing this stuff just for me.

I also think that the current trajectory makes a lot of sense. I like that the focus has been more focused on rules than campaign material. Even the Eberron writeup in Unearthed Arcana focused on rules to bring it into the 5th edition, rather than updating the lore.

The idea of releasing new rules supplements in a series of free online releases, whether in articles on the webpage, or more formal digital publications to tie in to the adventures is pretty cool too. The published books can than have more actual adventure content, and when they do start working on publishing campaign setting material, it can also focus more on the lore and locations.

They have noted that they are experimenting with finding what will work, and what will work long term. That takes time, but I think the innovations are pretty cool. Would I like more material? Of course. I love the 5th edition, and would love a weekly update with rules and lore (actually practically daily). I think we will see more content added for weekly and monthly online updates, and that in a year we'll start to see some of the campaign publications working their way into the schedule too.

It's easy to question it from out here. But it's also pretty likely that the power-that-be are expecting better performance from each published (physical book), and it's pretty clear that they feel a part of the problem is too many releases. From out here it might look like they've gone too far the other way, but from a business standpoint it's far too early to tell what impact that decision has had.

Ilbranteloth

Reynard

Legend
Aside from the content on the website, the 25 page book, and the hardcover adventure, they also announced that there are 16(!) adventures set in Mulmaster and the surrounding region for the Adventurer's League for this adventure cycle. I think there were 12 for the Tyranny of Dragons arc

It's easy to question it from out here. But it's also pretty likely that the power-that-be are expecting better performance from each published (physical book), and it's pretty clear that they feel a part of the problem is too many releases. From out here it might look like they've gone too far the other way, but from a business standpoint it's far too early to tell what impact that decision has had.

Ilbranteloth

I think it is possible that there is a mandate to focus on the Adventurer's League over other content. If the in-house team is directing most of its attention to AL modules that suggests WotC thinks AL is worth their investment more than, say, a Realms hardcover. That leads to the question as to how: in what way does AL monetize D&D? Is it just core book sales? Are the events actually profitible? Is there a microtransaction element to it? T-shirts?

ANyone big into the AL? What's your take?

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
[MENTION=6776331]Sailor Moon[/MENTION] SURELY you can think of a more constructive thread to start than this...again?

Beat me to it.

It is reaching the point where we need to ask the mods to temp ban these any more of these threads, or maybe just have one "wotc ain't releasing enough stuff and I'm going to bitch about it" thread and direct all traffic there.

Queer Venger

Dungeon Master is my Daddy
Rumor control has it that its a big product release, something that will blow our minds. Having attended GenCon last year, Wizard's goes all out with their D&D releases, they had a massive launch party for 5e last year, elven DJ's, crowns of Tiamat and poster giveaways, bronzebottom ale, and lots and lots of food trucks. This year I expect no less, D&D is the reason that Gen Con exists, I want to be blown away (figuratively).

Shemeska

Adventurer
Rumor control has it that its a big product release, something that will blow our minds. Having attended GenCon last year, Wizard's goes all out with their D&D releases, they had a massive launch party for 5e last year, elven DJ's, crowns of Tiamat and poster giveaways, bronzebottom ale, and lots and lots of food trucks. This year I expect no less, D&D is the reason that Gen Con exists, I want to be blown away (figuratively).

They're keeping a lid on rumors tbh.

That said, in contrast to your perceptions of GenCon. I hope they (WotC) have better marketing at GenCon this year, because I found them to be nearly invisible last year unless you sought them out. They had no dealers room presence at all, so lots of casual gamers never saw them if they didn't seek out the d&d room where they'd consolidated it all. It's been much diminished from years ago when they seemed to be everywhere st GenCon, which is unfortunate.

Queer Venger

Dungeon Master is my Daddy
They're keeping a lid on rumors tbh.

That said, in contrast to your perceptions of GenCon. I hope they (WotC) have better marketing at GenCon this year, because I found them to be nearly invisible last year unless you sought them out. They had no dealers room presence at all, so lots of casual gamers never saw them if they didn't seek out the d&d room where they'd consolidated it all. It's been much diminished from years ago when they seemed to be everywhere st GenCon, which is unfortunate.
Wow, then you missed it, they had an entire hall dedicated to D&D, probably close to 100 tables of gaming, GF9 miniatures display, with their own retailer selling the new PHB, how could you miss the massive statue of Drizzt and Guenhyvarr???

Gecko85

Explorer
Plus I'm sure there were plenty of other people that really loved the material. They aren't producing this stuff just for me.
Ding, ding, ding. I wish more people would realize this.

I'm getting really tired of the overly selfish posts in so many threads. So much so that I've cut down my involvement/reading/posting here by at least half, and have considered just not returning. Plenty of good constructive discussion on the various D&D related Reddit subs. The overall negativity of this board is getting to be overwhelming, and it's so incredibly selfish.

Reading through the recent Princes player's guide/companion releases was just ridiculous.

* "*I'm* not going to use any of these spells, so the entire thing is WORTHLESS!"
* "*I'll* never use {insert free additional content here}, therefore WORTHLESS!"
"They didn't release stats for some obscure sub-race in a specific campaign setting that has nothing to do with the AP, but that's what *I* want, therefore WORTHLESS!"

It's tiring.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Tom Waits wants to know, too.

[video=youtube;nMqxNPsfN50]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMqxNPsfN50[/video]

"The tire swing in the pepper tree" is clearly the cancelled Adventurer's Handbook.

edit: Deja Vu? I feel like I bascially post this video on this forums at least once a month. :p

darjr

I crit!
Sasquatch wrote the adventure. I don't think the new mechanics are by sasquatch games. And spells can be the hardest thing to playtest. Not dismissing other folks desire for more. However I'm good with it.

Remove ads