D&D 5E So what variant features from Tasha’s are you planning to use?

Dausuul

Legend
We’re already discussing this in the Steady Aim thread, but two attacks vs. one attack with advantage is the same number of chances for sneak attack, since it can only be used once per turn. That’s actually the point of Steady Aim - it’s a band-aid fix that insures that ranged rouges and single-stick rogues keep up with dual-wielding rogues’ DPR in games where the DM is stingier with opportunities to Hide in combat than the designers anticipated.
Steady Aim substantially narrows the gap between the archer and the dual wielder, but it does not eliminate it (in the scenario I tested with an 8th-level rogue, dual wielding got you 24 DPR while Steady Aim was 21.5 [Edit: This is incorrect. I made a mistake in the dual wielding calculation, it's actually 21.3, just about on par with Steady Aim, so my point may not be valid] absent any feats or other features). Furthermore, you sacrifice the ability to move. So I don't think melee rogues have to worry about being put in the shade.

I haven't read the whole thing carefully yet, but none of the variant features I've looked at so far seem ban-worthy. However, the artificer is another matter--not for balance reasons but for thematic ones. No, you do not get to play Iron Man in my campaign. Get off my lawn.

Last edited:

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
Thus far I don't see a strong reason to ban anything, but I can see some of the subclass changing options being a huge hassle. Like if you're a warlock and change your pact, that potentially affects a TON of stuff (your chosen invocations, etc). As a player, I probably wouldn't switch my subclass unless I was DEEPLY dissatisfied with my current one.

I'm pleased that spell versatility didn't make it in. That was the only thing in the UA that really rubbed me the wrong way.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Steady Aim substantially narrows the gap between the archer and the dual wielder, but it does not eliminate it (in the scenario I tested with an 8th-level rogue, dual wielding got you 24 DPR while Steady Aim was 21.5, absent any feats or other features). Furthermore, you sacrifice the ability to move [edit: a dual wielder doesn't get Cunning Action either, my mistake]. So I don't think melee rogues have to worry about being put in the shade.
That is helpful to know. I think I still like the idea of these features being acquired in-game, either as Boons or through training. But it is good to know that Steady Aim is still slightly behind DW, at least at some levels.

Steady Aim exists to telegraph that the thing where halfling rogues were hiding behind the barbarian, jumping out, shooting with advantage, jumping back behind the barbarian, and then immediately hiding was actually intended gameplay. The fact that it also means you can get similar results without the metric truckload of sheer disbelief you have to suspend is just a side effect.

The ranger features to replace the null abilities that natural explorer and favored foe are make the book worth the purchase price on their own.

To be honest, there's very little in the book to dislike. I'm not a huge fan of cantrip versatility being once every 4 levels or wildfire druid losing fireball, but those are easy to remedy.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
I haven't gone over them with a fine tooth comb but probably all but sidekicks & that's more because ime the UA ones felt problematic & I haven't looked at the tashas enough to really get a feel. everything else is stuff like patrons (used since rising & used similar even before)or feels like they didn't want to go too far too fast

Weiley31

Legend
I feel like with the Sidekick rules, you can use the Tasha's Sidekicks and the UA Sidekicks class progressions as representation of different versions in tier.

The Tasha's Spellcaster Sidekick statblock would represent a more novice no name joe. The Sidekick UA Spellcaster is somebody that studied under Gandalf/Elminster/Insert whatever higher tier variant which would be represented by its ability to reach up to 9th level spells.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
I really haven't had a chance to do a deep dive into the book, but I'm likely to use all the variant class features as well as the spells and feats (except guuner, depending on campaign). I'll probably allow all the subclasses, but some may be disallowed depending on campaign theme and setting (but that's what I do with the previous subclasses, too). I'll likely allow the racial customizations, but I'm not sold on the custom lineage.

As far as the DM stuff, not sure if I'll get around to using the puzzles though I think they're neat in concept. Haven really looked at the parlaying with monsters yet. As long as I have as many player in my campaign as I do, I wont get any use out of the sidekicks.

Remove ads