D&D 5E So Where my Witches at?

Greg K

Legend
FWIW in most cultures as far as I know 'witchcraft' and 'magic' mean 'person who is manipulating the supernatural for evil purposes'--it's the person who called on evil spirits to kill your cow. Socially acceptable use of the unseen is done by shamans and priests
Yes, the broad application for most cultures is the use of the supernatural for evil purposes . Exceptions, as you suggest, do occur. Some cultures such as those of East Africa and Melanesia make a distinction between witchcraft and sorcery, Among the Azande, for example, witchcraft is an innate, not necessarily controlled, and, iirc, psychic. In contrast, sorcery is considered the use of rituals to manipulate spirits and can be learned.
The definition, however, does not apply to Wicca (British Traditional (e.g. Gardner), Dianic, etc.) and, of course, witchcraft was also used as a label to persecute practitioners of many non-Christian religious traditions

Last edited:

The best representation of a "witch" I've come across was the "Harry Potter Wizard" from Pathfinder. Using an Arcane Bloodline Sorcerer you had a Sorcerer's known spells and a book that you could use to cast spells a number of times per day as a class feature (like one or two). Different edition/system but it "felt" like a witch because you had supernatural abilities, innate spells, and a spell book or "recipes". In 5e the best thematic "witch" is a Warlock (what is typically used to describe a male witch) since you have spells, supernatural abilities, powerful familiars, and a patron. The flavor is there, and so are the mechanics.

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
I went back and read through treatments of this in a number of editions. As far as I can tell the earliest appearance of the Warlock is in 3e (Complete Arcane), but before that there's a witch kit in 2e (Complete Wizard's Handbook) that seems vaguely similar in that the source of power is an external patron, down to the character being good possibly even if the patron is not. So for what it's worth, the D&D approximation appears to be the warlock.

So another approach might be to design alternate warlock patrons that fit what you want. The folkloric 'evildoer casting hexes' actually fits 5e fairly well, but some of the more benign interpretations like 'hedge mage' or 'nature priest-mage but not druidical' might work as new patrons if anyone wants to design them. Since patrons can give additional spells, this might be a way to get some of those healing abilities in.

Faolyn

(she/her)
So another approach might be to design alternate warlock patrons that fit what you want. The folkloric 'evildoer casting hexes' actually fits 5e fairly well, but some of the more benign interpretations like 'hedge mage' or 'nature priest-mage but not druidical' might work as new patrons if anyone wants to design them. Since patrons can give additional spells, this might be a way to get some of those healing abilities in.
I've been really wanting to create a "small gods" warlock--someone who gets their powers from nature or ancestral spirits, or from spirits like loa or kachina. I just haven't figured out what their powers could be, especially so they're differentiated from celestial 'locks--although it could be themed around the idea of being deliberately possessed by the spirit.

Remove ads