D&D 5E Solasta: Crown of the Magister Gets a Dungeon Builder

Neverwinter Nights fans will enjoy this news -- the D&D 5E video game Solasta: Crown of the Magister is getting a 'Dungeon Maker' which allows you to create your own dungeons and let people play through them. The game is currently available as early access on Steam.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
What I'd like to do is build dungeons with this, but run them like a VTT......since multi-player isn't there, the DM would have to move all the tokens/models.......I don't really think it is set up for this, though.

It is a really cool game, IMO, and I have thoroughly enjoyed it. Looking forward to seeing the new update . I liked it enough that I bought their campaign book to add to my D&D collection.

At least not yet. I have been impressed with their response to customer requests, and hope that the fan/customer support is enough for them to continue to grow. This game really reminds me of the old SSI Gold box games, in a good way.

Quickleaf

Legend
What I'd like to do is build dungeons with this, but run them like a VTT......since multi-player isn't there, the DM would have to move all the tokens/models.......I don't really think it is set up for this, though.
Not speaking from experience, but I've heard of people using Arkenforge's 3d maps that way (which is not a VTT and is instead intended for everyone around the same physical space) streaming the DM's map over Zoom or Discord Video using a second monitor.

EDIT: Aha! I found the link I read a while back when I was considering it: Arkenforge online using Zoom - Arkenforge Tabletop

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Not speaking from experience, but I've heard of people using Arkenforge's 3d maps that way (which is not a VTT and is instead intended for everyone around the same physical space) streaming the DM's map over Zoom or Discord Video using a second monitor.
Ya, I've seen that too......but then, I backed Solasta and own it, so I'd like it there too.

I also own Wildshape, which I can't recommend enough for creating maps/views with perspective. And Game Master Engine, which I am not in love with, but have barely used....so I'll see how that goes over time.

And, of course, at some point Talespire will release. TS and GME have a lego/cartoony look that I don't like as much as Wildshape, though......

Mike Myler

Have you been to LevelUp5E.com yet?
From those that have played both.....it is closer to 5e than BGIII....but I'm not one of them, so I can't say if they are right or not. It really is D&D, regardless of how much of a license it has.
Solasta adheres closer to the 5E ruleset than Baldur's Gate 3 does, but the producers of the latter (Larian Studios) make amazing games so it's really not hard to wave away some rules tweaking. Stoked to see Solasta getting a dungeon builder and some really smart support that way—makes it more unique from BG3 and gives me more ammo to excessively play both. ^_^

I have both Solasta and BGIII, but haven't had the chance to play / compare them. Looking forward to when I can. Right now, work is taking pretty much every moment I have :(

Jeff Carpenter

Adventurer
I would love a VTT that runs more like a video game and allows the DM to automate some enemies.

I set the orcs on autopilot and concentrate on running this evil wizard during combat makes it a whole lot more fun.

Hathorym

Explorer
I have both BGIII and Solasta.
I prefer Solasta due to its adherence to the 5th edition philosophy, implemented ruleset which more closely resembles 5E, and more of that beginning adventuring party feeling. Plus, since the party you have is made entirely by you, you decide the party makeup, their personalities, and voices. BGIII is simply not what I was hoping and Solasta is everything I wanted.
I backed this on KS and have enjoyed every single moment playing it so far.

Remove ads

Remove ads