D&D General Solasta: Crown of the Magister reaches 1.0!

Same!

So much more so than BG3, but to a large extent because BG3 doesn't (yet) let you customize more than one character. It gets boring making one character, and then having to pick the other 3 from the same 5. All of whom I detest.
Personally I'm the opposite case, where I find needing to roll up four characters is the thing that discourages me (a little) from doing a new Solasta campaign, and, more importantly, keeps me from feeling any particular investment in any of the characters when I do play. Especially when they have such limited voice options that I have to be very careful to not have two of them sound identical. A much as I hate being saddled with irritating CRPG companions, I think it does make the "main character as empty vessel whom the player projects a personality on" dynamic of most CRPGs work better when it's just one empty vessel character and there are other characters with actual distinctive personalities for the main character to play off of.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
Personally I'm the opposite case, where I find needing to roll up four characters is the thing that discourages me (a little) from doing a new Solasta campaign, and, more importantly, keeps me from feeling any particular investment in any of the characters when I do play. Especially when they have such limited voice options that I have to be very careful to not have two of them sound identical. A much as I hate being saddled with irritating CRPG companions, I think it does make the "main character as empty vessel whom the player projects a personality on" dynamic of most CRPGs work better when it's just one empty vessel character and there are other characters with actual distinctive personalities for the main character to play off of.

Ah, I see.

Yeah I don't play CRPGs for the story/characters at all. If there aren't other humans around, I could care less about the roleplay. I do it purely for the gamist experience.

The one exception is that when I played Dragon Age I loved hearing the banter and bickering between the NPCs, which was different depending on who was in your party. Not because I cared about the characters but because it was just plain funny.

Solasta does try to make the party members a little more than blank cyphers with its personality flags, but they are a bit hit-and-miss. Still, for a game focused on combat rather than role playing, it makes an effort.

The trouble with the pregens in BG3 isn't their existence, it's just that they are all characters you would prefer to avoid spending time with.

Last edited:

Bill Zebub

The trouble with the pregens in BG3 isn't their existence, it's just that they are all characters you would prefer to avoid spending time with.

I know some people like developing a romance with the NPCs in these games…not my thing but I won’t judge, at least not outwardly…but the NPCs in BG3? Seriously?

Bill Zebub

Okay, reading this thread has convinced me to pick it up while the Steam sale is ongoing. Sounds like it's a lot of fun, and I specifically like the "4-person party you all make" format.

The thing I mentioned upthread about needing a Wizard (or now Bard) for identify is because at levels ~5+ you will find so many magic items per long rest that you really want Identify as a ritual. It’s really kind of a pain without it.

Oofta

Legend
The thing I mentioned upthread about needing a Wizard (or now Bard) for identify is because at levels ~5+ you will find so many magic items per long rest that you really want Identify as a ritual. It’s really kind of a pain without it.
You can have things identified by a merchant in town, but it's 100 GP per item. Apparently with the new patch the items will function even if they aren't identified, so that +1 sword will act as a +1 sword whether or not you have it identified.

Bill Zebub

You can have things identified by a merchant in town, but it's 100 GP per item. Apparently with the new patch the items will function even if they aren't identified, so that +1 sword will act as a +1 sword whether or not you have it identified.

Nope. Just equipped unidentified +1 leather armor ("magnificent leather armor") and AC didn't change.

I've run it by paying to have everything identified; it becomes a serious resource drain.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases