D&D General Solasta: Crown of the Magister reaches 1.0!

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Good game. I started playing yesterday and have made it to level 5. *Took hours going through character options before playing.

The game is definitely 5e though most classes have unique to Solasta subclasses. It plays really smooth and reminds you that it's being true to the tabletop by showing your dice rolls when you attack and such.

There are a few notable changes from base 5e.
  • Feats have been mostly reworked. No more -5/+10 feats. Most of the combat feats seem okay but not great. Some of the non-combat feats seem really good - for example there is one that gives expertise in all the social skills if you already have proficiency in them.
  • There is no variant human or race that provides a feat at level 1.
  • Spell lists have been toned down with most of the notable spells that were deemed OP missing.
  • Encounters don't typically start with enemies in AOE formation. There are often archers and/or melee enemies streaming in.
  • Stealth requires completely broken line of sight to enter, but doesn't go away even when attacking unless enemies get close enough to your position. This makes archer rogues really strong.
  • Can swap from TWF to a bow and vice versa with only 1 free object interaction. I've not tested it yet but I predict it will also do the same with sword and shield to a bow.
  • Frenzy Barbarian Exhaustion mechanic is improved. Now there's a chance of exhaustion with the DC scaling on times used.
  • Insight essentially reveals the chances that particular conversation options will work. It's a cool way of handling insight in a crpg IMO.
  • Conjure Animals cannot summon 8 1/4 CR creatures. Most is 4 CR 1/2.
  • Spirit Guardians is Amazing - in a Dungeon environment you can likely keep it up through 2-3 encounters.
  • Web Spell doesn't exist in the game
  • There is no ability to grapple.
  • At character creation the game does a good job providing you information about what skills and languages are applicable to a given campaign.

Still, the overall effect of these changes seems to create a more balanced and streamlined game.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Note that they only have access to the SRD, which explains the new subclasses and feats.
Yea. I'll add this about subclasses. I think they did really well with the caster ones they created. However, there's only a few martial subclasses they created that i could get excited about. Paladins being a notable exception. Then again, that's not that unlike base 5e I guess.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases