Some new races: Golems and Prayags

Breakstone

First Post
So now that I'm a player, I've been coming up with all these DM-related ideas. One of these is a number of races that I'd like to put into a future campaign. I've been more into a rules-mood recently, so I've given each race a brief description. I've also been using racial levels, like in Arcana Unearthed (and Unearthed Arcana, I suppose).

Here we go:

Golem

Golems are a race of artificial men and women crafted by wizards and sorcerers, famous for their ability to labor tirelessly. They resemble living statues, some with fine detail and some more resembling the stone they were carved from than the humans they serve. In the process, the crafter creates organs and veins for the golem to survive by, giving them human semblance both outside and inside. Golems are born workaholics, never stopping until a goal has been accomplished.

Golems are considered Humanoid (construct).

Golem Racial Traits

· Golems are nearly unstoppable, but often have trouble coping with new situations, enjoying a +2 racial bonus to constitution but a –2 penalty to intelligence and charisma.
· Golem base speed is 30 feet.
· Medium: As Medium creatures, golems have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
· Darkvision: Golems can see in the dark up to 60 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but otherwise resembles normal sight. Golems can function just fine with no light at all.
· +2 racial bonus on Profession and Craft checks.
· Immunity to non-magical poisons and diseases.
· +2 racial bonus to Will Saves. Golems are a single-minded, stubborn race.
· Automatic Languages: Common and one other of choice.
· Bonus Languages: Any. Golems are usually built with the languages of their master.
· Favored Class: One of choice. A multiclass golem’s choice of favored class does not count when determining whether she suffers an XP penalty for multiclassing. Golems hardly ever multiclass, preferring to stay single-minded in one line of duty.

Golem Levels:

Golems can take up to three levels in “golem” at any time. Each level represents the character being upgraded. This might be accompanied by physical changes in the sculpt of the golem. Not all golems, by any means, take racial levels (or all three of them).
Hit Die: 1d8
Skill Points at 1st Character Level: (2+ Intelligence bonus) x4
Skill Points at Higher Levels: 2+ Intelligence bonus
“Class” Skills: Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Jump (Str), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Search (Int), Speak Language (None), Spot (Wis).
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Golems with levels only in golem (no actual class levels) are proficient in the use of simple weapons but no armors or shields.

Level BAB Fort Ref Will Special

1 +0 +2 +0 +2 +1 Strength, special program
2 +1 +3 +0 +3 +1 Constitution, special program
3 +2 +3 +1 +3 +1 Strength, special program

Special Program: At each level, the golem chooses one special program from the list below. She cannot choose the same special program twice.

+10 Base Speed
Natural Attack: 1d6 damage
Toughness and Endurance Feats
Blindsight 5 ft.
+2 natural armor bonus
Elemental Power (+1 fire, cold, acid, or sound bonus to all damage/golem level)
SR 5+ character level

And the prayags:

Prayag

Prayags are an ever-shifting race, famous for their mid-life evolutions. Prayag society is organized in simple tribes, and the prayags themselves often welcome nature into their community, living amongst trees and animals. Physically, few prayags look the same. They start life resembling small furry monkeys, but as adolescence hits they go through their first change. At this point, a prayag becomes more humanoid, losing the fur and revealing purple skin underneath. These prayags usually have long, thick orange, auburn, or ochre hair, and a face marked with ape-like features. They stand between five-and-a-half and seven feet tall, and have long, lanky arms and legs, with slightly opposable thumbs on their feet. After this initial change, a few prayags evolve more, further resembling the animals they worship, sprouting wings, claws, or gills as they grow older.

Prayag Racial Traits
· Medium: As Medium creatures, prayags have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
· Prayag base speed is 30 feet.
· Low-Light Vision. Prayags can see twice as far as humans in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. They retain the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
· Prayags have learned to survive in the wild, gaining a +2 racial bonus on Handle Animal, Listen, Move Silently, Spot, and Wilderness Lore checks.
· Prayags heal a number of hit points equal to one and a half times their character level when resting for a day, while complete bed rest heals them a number of hit points equal to double their character level.
· Automatic Languages: Common and Terran (the language of the prayags).
· Bonus Languages: Aquan, Dwarven, Elven, Gnome, Goblin, Gnoll. Smart prayags know the languages of their allies and enemies.
· Favored Class: Druid. A multiclass prayag’s druid class does not count when determining whether she suffers an XP penalty for multiclassing. Prayags find themselves home with the wilderness.

Prayag Levels:

Prayags can take up to three levels in “prayag” at any time. Each level represents the character evolving into a new form, and may span a number of years or simply days. Not all prayags, by any means, take racial levels (or all three of them).
Hit Die: 1d8
Skill Points at 1st Character Level: (2+ Intelligence bonus) x4
Skill Points at Higher Levels: 2+ Intelligence bonus
“Class” Skills: Animal Empathy (Cha), Balance (Dex), Climb (Dex), Handle Animal (Cha), Heal (Wis), Hide (Dex), Intuit Direction (Wis), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Wis), Spot (Wis), Wilderness Lore (Wis).
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Prayags with levels only in prayag (no actual class levels) are proficient in the use of simple weapons but no armors or shields.

Level BAB Fort Ref Will Special

1 +0 +2 +2 +0 +1 Strength, +1 Dexterity, evolve
2 +1 +3 +3 +0 +1 natural bonus to Armor Class, evolve
3 +2 +3 +3 +1 +10 base movement speed, evolve

Evolve: At each prayag level, the prayag changes his appearance and abilities. This change resembles the alter self spell, and can be used only once at the time the character takes the level. However, the duration is permanent, and the change has the following exceptions: At first level, the character may grow claws (or any sort of natural weapon) that allow him to deal 1d4 points of slashing damage, wings that grant him a fly speed of 30 feet with poor maneuverability, or gills that allow him to breath underwater. He can choose only one of the above options.

At second level, the character may grow claws (or any sort of natural weapon) that allow him to deal 1d6 points of slashing damage, wings that grant him a fly speed of 30 feet (or his base speed, whichever is higher) with average maneuverability, or gills that allow him to breath underwater and give him a swim speed of 30 feet. He can choose only one of the above options, and loses the changes granted to him from his first level evolution.

At third level, the character may grow claws (or any sort of natural weapon) that allow him to deal 1d8 points of slashing damage, wings that grant him a fly speed of 40 feet (or his base speed, whichever is higher) with good maneuverability, or gills that allow him to breath underwater and give him a swim speed of 40 feet. He can choose only one of the above options, and loses the changes granted to him from his first and second level evolutions.

Last edited:

rkanodia

First Post
I kind of like the idea of there being golems that are just more-or-less ordinary folks. Maybe that isn't what you were going for, but certainly making golems an ECL 0 race with actual minds makes them feel that way to me.

In my opinion, stat boosts should come in +2s or not at all. I would make golem level 1 have no stat boost, golem level 2 have +2 Con, and golem level 3 have +2 Str. I think the special programs are pretty good, with the exception of the Spell Resistance one. I would vote for something more like 5 + character level. SR 12 is huge at 1st level and useless at 20th.

Breakstone

First Post
I kind of like the idea of there being golems that are just more-or-less ordinary folks. Maybe that isn't what you were going for, but certainly making golems an ECL 0 race with actual minds makes them feel that way to me.

That's basically what I was going for. Glad you like it!

In my opinion, stat boosts should come in +2s or not at all. I would make golem level 1 have no stat boost, golem level 2 have +2 Con, and golem level 3 have +2 Str. I think the special programs are pretty good, with the exception of the Spell Resistance one. I would vote for something more like 5 + character level. SR 12 is huge at 1st level and useless at 20th.

I was following the races in Arcana Unearthed (the Monte Cook one), and races there gained +1 to stats, so I put that into play. Your SR idea is a great one- I think that's a necessary change.

John Q. Mayhem

Explorer
I like them. They're not exactly my cup of tea, but they're certainly interesting. I don't really like how the golems are sort of constructs-but-not-really, and the prayags are, well, a but wierd. But still cool.

Remove ads