log in or register to remove this ad

 

Some Stories Are True

Astrid

Explorer
"Yes, we eat well. As for my talents, well the adults are not so excepting of such abilities." Astrid's right pale amber eye begins to cloud over into a milky white sphere as lightning begins to spark from her finger tips.

"Sadly my powers are some what limited." She raises her sling. "This helps to somewhat counter the limitations."

As the lightning subsides her eye begins to uncloud back to pale amber. Her right eye sharply contrasts her left, a pale green in color, but any who stare deep into it see that it appears to swirl like wind ever so slightly. "So it is needless to say that we must not speak of such things in the public. Perhaps I am a witch or may chance blessed by _________*."

"Who knows, who cares. I am just myself. I would like the hide of the lizard if it can be pulled apart intact. Perhaps the claws can be fashioned into a trophy for Hiroshi, a necklace for the lizardslayer."
Astrid says with a wink. "The hide may be fashioned into something later down the road." She grabs two rocks off the ground and starts chiseling away to replace the stone she used knowing it would take awhile to get it just right.

OOC: * Need some sort of storm / sea related deity. Also my grammar and punctuation is shit. Sorry.
 

log in or register to remove this ad

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Astrid: full wellness
Stones: 20
Hiroshi: full wellness
Oorvid: full wellness
Wrenn: full wellness
Arrows: 20 - 1 = 19
Ant Stingers: 4, {toxicity x2}
... Wrenn smiles, "Well... Our bellies will be full tonight..."
Hiroshi agrees...
"Yes, we eat well... Perhaps I am a witch or may chance blessed by Hviti Hakarlinn... I would like the hide... Perhaps the claws can be fashioned into a trophy..."
GM: Hviti Hakarlinn is the name for the main Norikadian deity. The name translate the white shark, and it is an honorific. Occasionally old sailors claim to have seen a great migratory shark, all white in color, swimming in the Deep. This is considered to be a blessing, but no one ever believes these claims of such a sighting. Hakarlinn is believed to control the tides, the currents, the rain, the catch, and storms. He is respected and paid homage by all Norikadians. It is possible that Astrid has been 'touched' by this god. It is completely reasonable that she and others of her people would believe such. With a dichotomy of power between gift and rage, any such blessing would be respected and feared, simultaneously.

Oorvid curls his upper lip, snorts a laugh, sticks his tongue out, and makes a slobbering noise. "Full belly? Ha! That thing may feed one of us, but certainly not all four, but no I could not in turn kill the bird or look for its nest. That just seems wrong at this point."

The skill necessary to skin the lizard and leave its hide intact is far beyond any of the four, and is thus rejected, though disappointing. The claws on the thing are as tiny as what might have been on the feet of the bird it was after. Everyone agrees that the ideas were good and the party is determined to find a bigger lizard.

Before the lizard can be full prepared or Astrid can smooth a replacement stone, the sound of something much larger than the lizard in hand goes crashing through the woods. Being curious children, well not quite children yet not quite adult, the four run through the forest to try to get a glimpse of what is making the noise, wondering if it is an elk. No one has seen an elk, only her stories of the huge deer. With lizard body and working stones in tow, the four find themselves huffing for breath, never having caught the slightest image of the source of the noise.

After everyone's breathing returns to normal, it is at that moment that they realize that they are lost, sort of. Having no idea how deep they are in the forests, it is possible to know how to walk toward the coast, simply by following the setting sun.

Oorvid laughs at the situation, seeing the humor in the mild folly. "Well, we have half a day of water in one skin and the other by which to return. I am not concerned at this point. We can see where the sun is and it is passed midday. Want to just walk south and see what we see until we are down to one skin?"
OOC: Each character receives 5 DP.
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Wrenn laughs, "If we stop now, this whole exercise will have been in vain. I am definitely of the mind that we should continue onward; besides, speaking of our mutual talents, I sometimes dream of water, sometimes the ocean, sometimes a lake or a pond, sometimes a flowing stream. I think that water is a thing of such pure essence, that it must be related in some way to the talent we all share. I am of the opinion that, given time, we might be able, each of us, to detect its presence at a distance. This little excursion will provide the perfect opportunity to put this idea to the test. Let's get moving. But first, let's have a look around for tracks. Maybe we can figure out where our fast and elusive prey was headed. If we're lucky, maybe it's headed south as well."

Wrenn will attempt to discover tracks, and if they head south, he will attempt to follow them. If they don't head south, he will abandon the pursuit, and walk southward with the group.

Discover Tracks: 93 (+ 47) = 140
Follow Tracks: 94 (+ 37) = 131
 

Astrid

Explorer
Astrid lets out a sign. "What choice do we have. If we can find a good sturdy tree, Oovid can give me a hand and I can climb up to see what the area looks like"
 

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Astrid: full wellness
Stones: 20
Hiroshi: full wellness
Oorvid: full wellness
Wrenn: full wellness
Arrows: 20 - 1 = 19
Ant Stingers: 4, {toxicity x2}
Wrenn laughs, "... we should continue... look around for tracks..."
Astrid lets out a sigh. "What choice do we have..."
ecology + clarity + d100
Wrenn: 15 + 14 + 140 = 169
Looking up at the towering redwoods, whose canopy looms from a height like some living mountain, makes the others unsure if Astrid is serious or being sarcastic. Either way it would require climbing spikes and ropes and still be an arduous, if not dangerous, task to climb one of these trees. It could be luck or some fortuitous influence, but Wrenn is certain that the stride of such beast as has been bounding through this forests is long enough to leave untraceable mark. Undaunted, the four youths pick a definitive game trail leading in the direction they were wanting to travel, and follow it. Wren, who happens to be shortest, or Hiroshi usually takes the lead, with Astrid or Oorvid exchanging places to follow behind.

Unlike the forested plains of the southern half of the continent, the woods here are far from flat. Hills rise and fall with outcroppings of rock occasionally jutting to the surface. Walking cannot be done in anything close to a straight line and the four periodically stop to look for the sun and gauge their direction, Astrid being the most astute at astral navigation, being Norikadian.

After about an hour of walking, with Oorvid often jogging to catch up after having been distracted by some curious plant or bolder, the four come to a stop at the sight of an area covered in huge spider webs. It is known that webs are collected for the manufacture of silk, but silk is not made in the local village, and webs larger around than the outstretched arms and legs of an adult have not before been seen.

Oorvid pokes around until he manages to catch a cricket about the size of his thumb knuckle and tosses it into a web. An orb weaver, whose leg span would be about the span of both of Oorvid's hands, runs from hiding to quickly wrap the cricket. Once wrapped, the spider quickly climbs back into hiding. There are six distinct, such webs.
C5F6D87C-0388-4BCC-AC26-2225B9DF7CDD.jpeg
OOC: Each character receives 5 DP.
 
Last edited:

Astrid

Explorer
Astrid noticeably shivers at the sight of such a large spider. "How about we avoid this" Astrid stops biting her tongue as she attempts find the right word. "This disaster"

Astrid now scanning around nervously. She then stares at Oovid "Not a word!" Astrid knowing Oovid is the most likely to pick on her.
 

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Astrid noticeably shivers... stares at (Oorvid) "Not a word!"...
Oorvid raises a hand in a halting gesture. "Spiders may not bother me, but 'sprinkhanin,' grasshoppers make my skin crawl. I know. Makes no sense, but there it is."

"Obviously these spiders are skittish. We could collect the webs if we wanted. The spiders will just remake them. I am curious what all the things might have eaten. I want to poke around in the ground cover. Maybe we can find some neat bones or something
."
GM: HINT: I will use a party NPC to suggests things that can be of benefit to the party, that players may not realize to do with their characters.

OOC: Ambiance: If interested, I use Latin for Centrin, Icelandic for Norikadian, Dutch for Orngaddrin, and Irish Gaelic for Spiofthest.
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
OOC: Posting intent on behalf of Hiroshi.


Wrenn and Hiroshi will gather the webs, and delicately store them in one of the party's pouches.

Wrenn asks the group, "Does anyone know if we should wrap them up, somehow? Or should we just stick them directly in the pouch? I've never done this before, and I don't want to ruin the silk."

Once the issue of the collected webs has been resolved, Wrenn and Hiroshi will join Oorvid in his endeavor to search for "bones and other neat stuff."
 

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Astrid: full wellness
Stones: 20
Hiroshi: full wellness
Oorvid: full wellness
Wrenn: full wellness
Arrows: 20 - 1 = 19
Ant Stingers: 4, {toxicity x2}
ecology + clarity + d100
Wrenn: 15 + 14 + 50 = 79
Hiroshi: 15 + 11 + 50 = 76
Oorvid: 10 + 18 + 50 = 78
Wrenn and Hiroshi will gather the webs...

Wrenn asks the group, "Does anyone know..."

... search for "bones and other neat stuff."
No one currently has any knowledge of collecting silk, other than it has some value. Astrid resolutely refuses to have any part of such activity, but the others just shrug it off. Everyone dislikes something. Being in a forest, it is easy to find sticks to collect the webs. As it so happens, the natural oils from skin are enough to reduce the stickiness of the webs and they are simply wadded into six balls and placed in a sack.
GM: The possession of certain things like string, pouches, and small sacks are considered a given. The collection of various parts of animals that may be used for such is also considered a given.

OOC: White Silk: coverage 12%, max value 12 marks

Coins are not used in the isolated communities of the characters' origins, but it is easy method to track worth

Poking around underneath the webs results in some surprising discovery. A total of 6 intact, tiny skulls are discovered among unidentifiable tiny bones and pieces of insects. Five of the skulls belonged to small birds, one a small rodent, probably a squirrel.

A little water is wasted to wash dirt from the finds, which all seem to be in good shape, having been freed of any clinging skin or meat by some past tiny insects or some such. Spiders are known to 'suck out' the insides. Everyone finds the skulls fascinating and passes them around, feeling a compulsion to hold them.

Oorvid purses his lips and wriggles his mouth back and forth before speaking. "Astrid, Wrenn, I know you two harbor a talent to sense things most people don't, well pretty much nobody else does, but I am getting a strong sensation like carrying one of these skulls would be a benefit to me."
OOC: Each character receives 5 DP.
 
Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Wrenn ponders the comment, and says, "Hmmm. I think that perhaps, it has something to do with the way living things are connected; the reason we can do things like sense when danger is near, or hear things that most people can't, is because we're connected as well. It's like being in a spider's web. You can feel when someone (or something) else is in the web, moving around. I think our connection to whatever it is that gives us our talents remains in us, even after we die. The same is probably true for animals, but perhaps to a lesser extent."
 

Astrid

Explorer
"My connection to the elements is raw and far from tame. I don't think I am great at feeling things like Wrenn would be." Astrid shifts her pose. "For me my power feels like a raging storm at sea, threatening to overturn me every time I use it. I have gained a small amount of control in the past few years, but even still."

Astrid sighs. "One time during a thunderstorm I went out in the middle of the night when everyone was asleep and just stood there marveling at the lighting as it streaked across the sky. Then lightning struck a tree nearby the core of the tree burnt while the outside was protected it from the weather." Astrid produces a small wrapped object and pulls it out revealing a piece of charred wood "This is what it feels like i could become if I ever lose control. Spiders are a silly fear, for to become like this wood that burned at the center of the tree. It looked like a pair of eyes starring at me through two knots."

Astrid shakes her head and re-wraps the the charred piece of wood. "Sorry, I... " her mouth dry she retrieves her water skin and takes a drink. "Perhaps the skull holds some power or perhaps your belief that it holds power will cause it to do so. I am not the best to talk about such things. Perhaps we should be going."
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Astrid said:
"...or perhaps your belief that it holds power will cause it to do so."
Wrenn smiles, "Oh, the energy is there, make no mistake. We can debate over the source of it, but not its presence. All of us can tap into that energy in various ways, with varying degrees of success. And I believe that this energy is present in all living things, whether or not those creatures can make use of it like we can. And I believe that's why Oorvid senses what he does about the skull. I think wearing the skull WILL have an effect; Oorvid is spot-on with his observation."

Hiroshi sighs, "Well, let's discuss it as we walk. Astrid is right, we should get our lazy butts in gear, and keep moving."

Wrenn chuckles, nodding in agreement.
 

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Astrid: full wellness
Stones: 20
Hiroshi: full wellness
Oorvid: full wellness
Wrenn: full wellness
Arrows: 20 - 1 = 19
Ant Stingers: 4, {toxicity x2}
White Silk: coverage 12%, max value 12 marks
Bird Skulls: 5, ??
The party debates philosophy in a friendly manner has they walk, each having a bit of a different perspective on how things are and how they function. The specifics are not nearly as important as the existence. Oorvid continues to fondle over the rodent skull as the group travels.
ecology + analysis + d100 => 60 + (rarity *20)
Oorvid: 10 + 18 + 85 = 113
Time: 10 days / 113 > 1 hour, fail
Despite his fascination and his effort, Oorvid discovers nothing about the skull other than his own superstition or belief.

By late afternoon, as half the water supply has been depleted signaling the party's need to return to the village in the morning, a chance discovery dramatically changes those plans. Almost missed due to the growth of the forest to reclaim what was once manufactured, a long abandoned stone structure is discovered as well as a small water-filled quarry where the stones must have been originally cut.

Walkiing around the structure, which has collapsed in a couple of places where trees now grow, reveals the quarry and the knowledge that the outer wall of the structure is only about 100 by 100 strides, square. Vegetation as grown back over the edge of the quarry and enough debris must have collected to make the water dark. A little examination reveals that the water smells and tastes fine.
DA3B35F2-9E66-498E-B753-8C7CD253E751.jpeg

Oorvid says, "This looks like a keep, something the Orngaddrin would build, but we always stick to the mountains, not the forests, and how long would it have had to be here for trees this size to grow up where the wall has collapsed?"
OOC: Each character receives 5 DP.
 

Astrid

Explorer
"I know little of Orngaddrin building, but this is quite interesting. What would cause them to build here and more importantly why would they have left it to ruin? I don't recall any stories of a fort out here." Astrid expression sours "If we explore it, we can't tell the adults about it. My adopted parents might be quite upset that we did something foolish, but we can't just not check this out right?"
 

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Astrid: full wellness
Stones: 20
Hiroshi: full wellness
Oorvid: full wellness
Wrenn: full wellness
Arrows: 20 - 1 = 19
Ant Stingers: 4, {toxicity x2}
White Silk: coverage 12%, max value 12 marks
Bird Skulls: 5, ??
"I know little of Orngaddrin building... What would cause them to... have left it to ruin?... we can't just not check this out right?"
OOC: Posting on behalf of Tellerian Hawke, per text message.

for Tellerian said:
Wrenn conveys his thought about the age of the structure based upon the size of the major trees that have grown in two corners of the outer wall and the water filled quarry. "Is it older than the forest?"

The question is rhetorical, of course.

"We definitely have to explore this! We should camp for the night by the quarry."
OOC: Posting on behalf of Osthelerian.

for Osthelerian said:
Hiroshi says,
"This has to be from before the Sundering. The Storyteller said there used to be one race of people who got into a war with the gods. I figured it was just a story, but maybe not."
Oorvid looks at Astrid. "It stands to reason that we would build from stone, we meaning the Orngaddrin, not us, since we tend to live in the mountains.

He laughs at himself. "Across the bay, we had masons who would hew the stones for the buildings. My father, of course, was a smith. Most Orngaddrin seem to be smiths or masons. We trade for everything else."

As the light of the day fades quickly within the shadows of the forest, the empty waterskins are refilled and suitable sleeping sites are chosen near the quarry. The forest sounds much the same as the Spiofthest village, at night, and sleep comes quickly and with it dreams. Dreams which are not one's own, like the Storyteller's tale come to life. A happy people, a time of clearing and building, a time of trade, a time of departure, then the return of the forests, and the end of the vision is longer than everything else combined. This keep has been dormant from civilization for 100s of cycles.

The morning light brings an even greater desire to explore, but perhaps some food first. There seems to be plenty of wildlife, all going about its regular activity. Oorvid quietly washes his face in the pool, then rubs his empty belly, looking out into the trees.
OOC: Each character receives 5 DP.
 
Last edited:

Astrid

Explorer
"Vid de sju hälarna" Astrid shouts. "Osthelerian where have you been and how did you find us." Astrid quickly realizes she had already drawn her sling and had charged one of her stones on reflex. Her eye reverts back to its normal pale amber color.
Vid de sju hälarna = By the Seven Hells. Not sure there are seven hells in this world, and not sure why seven came to mind, but it did. This is Swedish of course. I assumed only some of the other players could even speak Norikian?
Next Morning

"Next time we need to bring rations of some sort. Not that I don't mind hunting that is. Shall we split up and look for small game, or do we go for something a bit bigger?" Astrid starts to look for nearby tracks, but can't find any. "Eh whales are more my prey of choice."
Rolled 14. for w/e random roll you mentioned and 26 for tracking something. Rolls are already going about right for me ><
 
Last edited:

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Astrid: full wellness
Stones: 20
Hiroshi: full wellness
Oorvid: full wellness
Wrenn: full wellness
Arrows: 20 - 1 = 19
Ant Stingers: 4, {toxicity x2}
White Silk: coverage 12%, max value 12 marks
Bird Skulls: 5, ??
Astrid... "Next time we need to bring rations... split up... something a bit bigger?"
GM: Oops, I forgot to include 'Hiroshi' when posting on behalf of Osthelerian. I have edited the previous post.

Oorvid pulls a piece of jerky from a pouch and waves it. "I think you mean more rations. In case this ancient keep turns out to be interesting to explore and takes a few days, I was actually thinking we may want to cure some fresh meat on our own. We should set out some snares. I bet animals use this pool for drinking, then we can try some tracking. I think, no whales, though, Ha. Ha."
OOC: Posting on behalf of Tellerian Hawke:
Wrenn says, "Good idea on the snares, but we should not split up. I cannot see us doing much good for tracking, anyway. We would probably do better hiding and waiting."

OOC: Posting on behalf of Osthelerian:
Hiroshi pulls some line from a belt pouch. "I will set some snares over here, then hide over by that tree."

The theory of a well known watering hole turns out to be a sound one for the denizens of this wood. By stone, by arrow, and by snare, each youngster is able to collect a suitable rodent; but for one snare, the varmint is not so easily attainable. It makes a squealing noise as its leg is caught and draws everyone toward its location, just as it turns and chews through the line to free its captured leg. This particularly unpleasant fowler is now even a bit more foul and thumping its hind foot while staring down the semi-circle of friends who are, as yet, each 3 strides distant.
E41E794E-D522-4AB6-B9AE-04F9CA0DB4B9.jpeg
OOC: Each character receives 5 DP. Provide a random roll for reaction and one for initial desired action.
 
Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
OOC: Posting on behalf of Osthelerin (Hiroshi) as well as for Wrenn:


Wrenn says, "Not sure how tasty these varmints are, probably not very. But I know one thing: I don't want to get sprayed. Let's put this thing down, before things get messy."

Hiroshi nods, and prepares to help put the creature down.

Hiroshi says, "You slow it, I'll stick it."

OOC: Wrenn will use Muddle on the fowler, while Hiroshi throws his javelin.


Muddle = 65
Javelin = 81
Wrenn Reaction = 88
Hiro Reaction = 44
 

Astrid

Explorer
Astrid's green eye begins to like the top side of a tornado as she lets loose a stone from her sling.

Reaction 69, Sling 73, Sound 94
 

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Astrid: full wellness
Stones: 20
Hiroshi: full wellness
Oorvid: full wellness
Wrenn: full wellness
Arrows: 20 - 1 = 19
Ant Stingers: 4, {toxicity x2}
White Silk: coverage 12%, max value 12 marks
Bird Skulls: 5, ??
Wrenn says, "... Let's put this thing down..."

Hiroshi says, "You slow it, I'll stick it."
Astrid... lets loose a stone...
Oorvid sucks in a deep breath and launches one of his carving axes.
Readiness + Speed + Clarity + d100
Wrenn: 11 + 16 + 15 + 88 = 130
Astrid: 10 + 19 + 11 + 69 = 109
Hiroshi: 10 + 18 + 9 + 44 = 81
Oorvid: 17 + 10 + 18 + 67 = 112
Skunk: 17 + 21 + 0 + 77 = 115
hindrance - reaction => 0
Wrenn: 200(bow) - 130 = 70
Astrid: 200(sling) - 109 = 91
Hiroshi: 100(javelin) - 81 = 19
Oorvid: 100(axe) - 112 = ~0
Skunk: 100(spray - 115 = ~0
GM: The nature of the spray and the position of the party is such that up to 2 people can be affected. From left to right, facing the skunk, the members are Wrenn, Hiroshi, Oorvid, and Astrid. Hiroshi and Oorvid take the spray.

Only heat and sound may be applied by extended touch, not Muddle. I have defaulted Wrenn to the use of heat for this first assault.

When a random roll yields a result greater than 89 and additional roll may be made and added to the previous. This represents "luck." I used 94 + 73 for Astrid.

bending + various + d100
Wrenn: 19 + 14(heat) + 65 = 98
Astrid: 19 + 9(thump) + 167 = 195
Skunk: 0 + 38 + 80 = 118
Hiroshi: 109conditioning) + 11(clarity) + 81(d100) = 102
damage: 118 - 102 = 16% * 8 = 1
Mind: 8 - 1 = 7, dazed

Oorvid: 16 + 18 + 67 = 101
damage: 118 - 101 = 17% * 8 = 1
Mind: 8 - 1 = 7, dazed

Skunk: 17(conditioning) + 77(d100) = 94
damage: 195 - 94 = 101 * 2 = 2
Mind: 2 - 2 = 0, unconscious

damage: 98 - 94 = 4% * 2 = ~1
Body: 2 - 1 = 1, hurt
Launch + Accuracy + Clarity + d100 +/- range
Oorvid: 17 + 10 + 18 + 67 = 112 - 0(short) = 112
Hiroshi: 10 + 18 + 11 + 81 = 120
Astrid: 10 + 19 + 11 + 73 = 113
Wrenn: 11 + 16 + 15 + 65 = 107
Readiness + Avoidance + Analysis + d100
Skunk: 17 + 21 + 0 + 77 = 115
damage: 120 - 115 = 5% * 10 = ~1 - 4(deflect), ineffective
The skunks reacts first by swinging its hind end around and releasing a noxious spray from its rear. The liquid happens to catch both Hiroshi and Oorvid. Reflexively reaching up to wipe his eyes, each young man still releases his throw. Oorvid narrowly misses the skunk with his axe. Hiroshi strikes the skunk but not with enough force for the javelin to penetrate the hide.

Astrid grips the stone in her hand momentarily before setting it to spin while Wrenn reaches up to to touch the stone tip of his arrow when aiming. Both narrowly miss the target but when the stone strikes the ground it dissolves, resounding with a loud piercing tone. The arrow thuds into the ground, the shaft igniting in flame, the green vegetation within a stride browning with the released heat. The skunk convulses and falls over. It appears to still be breathing but is, otherwise, not moving.

With the instinctive nature of making use of bending waylines, both Hiroshi and Oorvid need only to think of ridding themselves of the burning stench for it to happen. Reflexively manipulating chemical waylines, the skunk spray becomes nothing more than water, but it will take a few moments more before full cognizance returns from its inflicted damage.
OOC: Each character receives 5 DP.
 
Last edited:

NOW LIVE! 5 Plug-In Settlements for your 5E Game

Advertisement2

Advertisement4

Top