log in or register to remove this ad

 

Some Stories Are True

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Wrenn nods in agreement, drawing his bow, and resting an arrow on it, without actually putting tension on the bow string. Wrenn knows that prolonged tension on the string will decrease its useful life, as will dry firing the bow without an arrow.

Hiroshi says, "Good idea. And also, besides the lamps, we should get these fireplaces going."

Hiroshi will step outside for a few minutes, and gather small limbs and twigs, as well as a few larger limbs, if he can find any. The idea is to gather enough burnable materials to get the fireplaces going, at least for a short duration.

96(+79) = 175
73
69
 

log in or register to remove this ad

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Astrid: full wellness
Stones: 20 - 2 = 18
Hiroshi: full wellness
Oorvid: full wellness
Wrenn: full wellness
Arrows: 20 - 2 = 18
Ant Stingers: 4, {toxicity x2}
Bat Guano: 50 measures, ??
Beetle Carapace: 1, max value 40 marks
White Silk: coverage 12%, max value 12 marks
Bird Skulls: 5, ??

coal: 52 bricks, ??
GM said:
... The next room is very large, appearing to once have been used as a combination greeting feasting area... There are fire places along both side walls, two sets of stairs leading upward in the back, and an open doorway.

The open doorway leads into what was once a kitchen and storage area...
Astrid... places her hands on the wicks and they ignite...
Wrenn nods in agreement...

Hiroshi says, "... we should get these fireplaces going."
Like Astrid, Oorvid ignites a few of the lamp wicks. Hearing Hiroshi and seeing his movement he interjects dissuasion. "Wait! No fires. It is too warm and the smoke will be seen for some distance outside. We do not want to draw undue attention to out presence."

Small denizens of the forest have occupied the abandoned building, but nothing seems to have ventured very far from the main opening to the outside, total darkness being undesirable even to animals that can see well at night.
Sociology + Clarity + d100
Sociology: Mind + Knowledge + Commercial
Clarity: Essence + Cohesion + Collegiate
Astrid: 21 + 11 + 50 = 82
Hiroshi: 18 + 12 + 73 = 103
Oorvid: 16 + 19 + 69 = 104
Wrenn: 16 + 15 + 175 = 206
Since no other suggestion was made for direction, Oorvid suggests sticking with the same level and to examine the kitchen, next, before heading up either stairs.

The greeting area still contains its dining tables and other such fare; and though they are much less weathered than the doors, they are no longer in a usable state. The stone dishes of all varieties are perfectly functional, with a few broken shards from having been inadvertently damaged by some wayward varmint. The oil lamps are also stone and can be removed from their mounts, if desired.

The doorway to the kitchen never contained a door but was probably covered with fabric that has long since rotted to a pile of debris upon the floor. The kitchen has the same type oil lamps. Oorvid hols up a hand before too much activity occurs in the kitchen, but it is Wrenn who notices the most interesting anomalies. Oorvid points out a definitive print of a person in the doorway of the back exit from the kitchen. Wrenn discloses evidence that the lamps have previously been lit, and the kitchen facilities appear to have been used.

A narrow hall exists behind the kitchen, the open back door of the structure providing some light. There are stairs at either end of the hall, one ascending, one descending. Tracks of people appear to have used both stairs but have not exited the building.

Oorvid muses quietly aloud, "If these people did not enter the building by either outside door, how did they get in here? Which way do we go?"
OOC: Each character receives 5 DP. In addition to intentions, if any specific item is desired or sought, include it in the your next post.
 

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Astrid: full wellness
Stones: 20 - 2 = 18
Hiroshi: full wellness
Oorvid: full wellness
Wrenn: full wellness
Arrows: 20 - 2 = 18
Ant Stingers: 4, {toxicity x2}
Bat Guano: 50 measures, ??
Beetle Carapace: 1, max value 40 marks
White Silk: coverage 12%, max value 12 marks
Bird Skulls: 5, ??

coal: 52 bricks, ??
... There are stairs at either end of the hall, one ascending, one descending...
Saddened by his friends' fading interests, Oorvid tries to bolster their focus and lend some encouragement, but he does not really know what to say. Hoping to prevent abandonment of the whole exploration idea, he offers a suggestion.

"Down to me gives more uncertain possibilities. Up has a fixed amount of space. We know its limit. I think we should go up."
 

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Astrid: full wellness
Stones: 20 - 2 = 18
Hiroshi: full wellness
Oorvid: full wellness
Wrenn: full wellness
Arrows: 20 - 2 = 18
Ant Stingers: 4, {toxicity x2}
Bat Guano: 50 measures, ??
Beetle Carapace: 1, max value 40 marks
White Silk: coverage 12%, max value 12 marks
Bird Skulls: 5, ??

coal: 52 bricks, ??
With a big sigh if disappointment, Oorvid grips one of his axes in his right hand and palms an illuminated stone in his left as he leads the way up the stairs, certain that the others will follow even though none has spoken for some time. Being fairly early in the day, there is enough light coming through the window slits that personal illumination is not needed. Oorvid secures his stone in a pouch for later use, if required.

Moving as quietly as possible, as stone steps do not creak, upon reaching the top of the stairs, the party finds itself at the end of a long hallway. Faint sounds and voices of people can be heard coming from within the level. Multiple doorways can be seen, all on the inside wall, and another set of stairs leading up is at the other end of the hall.
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Wrenn and Hiroshi, who have been behind him the whole time, albeit lost in their own thoughts, both react silently to the presence of voices, their countenances shrinking in concern, their eyes darting to and fro... Wrenn points to his feet, and then begins to wear a look of concentration. His intention is obvious; he is going to manipulate waylines in an attempt to muffle the sound of his footsteps. Discerning what his friend is up to, Hiroshi attempts to do likewise.

Wrenn: 93+75 = 168
Hiroshi: 72
 

Astrid

Explorer
Astrid collects herself from a daze and words to Oorvid "Apology Oorvid, I did not mean to ignore you friend. I was lost in thought." She readies her sling.
 

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Astrid: full wellness
Stones: 20 - 2 = 18
Hiroshi: full wellness
Oorvid: full wellness
Wrenn: full wellness
Arrows: 20 - 2 = 18
Ant Stingers: 4, {toxicity x2}
Bat Guano: 50 measures, ??
Beetle Carapace: 1, max value 40 marks
White Silk: coverage 12%, max value 12 marks
Bird Skulls: 5, ??

coal: 52 bricks, ??
Wrenn and Hiroshi... manipulate waylines... muffle the sound...
Astrid... readies her sling.
Stealth + various + d100 > perception
Astrid: 21 + 0 + 50 = 71
Hiroshi: 19 + 0 + 72 = 91
Oorvid: 17 + 0 + 96 = 113
Wrenn: 18 + 0 + 168 = 186

Unknowns: 14 + 9 = 23
Try as they might, neither Hiroshi nor Wrenn can determine a manner to manipulate mechanical waylines in order to dampen sound. They are certain it is possible, but the particulars yet escape them. None the less, the party is able to move forward without detecting any change in the sounds coming from the second doorway.

The first room was empty. Oil lamps are lit in the second room and extremely pale people are moving about the room, as yet unaware that they are being observed. Wren is the one to recognize that these people are the same tribe as he is, Shimadow, but he gestures emphatically that they will not be friendly.

65475D37-AE0C-4A54-8CED-F309B6989CB4.jpeg

It would require a great deal of luck to be able to fire an arrow into the room at a target, as the current angle to the doorway does not allow much view. Any further movement will likely reveal the party to the newly discovered enemy.
GM: Hiroshi and Wren would have to have acquired at least 1 rank in the Aberrative skill in order to dampen sound.

OOC: Each character receives 5 DP.
 
Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Knowing that combat is imminent, Wrenn draws his bow and makes ready. He will shoot one of the Shimadow with an arrow, having charged the stone tip with electrical energy. Hiroshi will prepare to throw one of his stone-tipped javelins, charging his with heat.

Init: Wrenn 31, Hiroshi 51
Combat: Wrenn 84, Hiroshi 84
Manipulate: Wrenn (Shock) 40, Hiroshi (Heat) 67
 

Astrid

Explorer
Astrid charges her bullet with sound and instead aiming for a target simply aims in the middle of the room attempting to disorient the targets so that her companions might better handle the targets.

Init: 95, Sling 66, Sound 94
 

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Astrid: full wellness
Stones: 20 - 2 = 18
Hiroshi: full wellness
Oorvid: full wellness
Wrenn: full wellness
Arrows: 20 - 2 = 18
Ant Stingers: 4, {toxicity x2}
Bat Guano: 50 measures, ??
Beetle Carapace: 1, max value 40 marks
White Silk: coverage 12%, max value 12 marks
Bird Skulls: 5, ??

coal: 52 bricks, ??

Stealth + various + d100 > perception
Astrid: 21 + 0 + 50 = 71 - 23 = 48
Hiroshi: 19 + 0 + 72 = 91 - 23 = 68
Oorvid: 17 + 0 + 96 = 113 - 23 = 90
Wrenn: 18 + 0 + 168 = 186 - 23 = 163
... Wrenn draws his bow... charged... electrical... Hiroshi... throw... javelins, charging his with heat.
Astrid charges her bullet with sound... aims... room...
Surprise favors the prpared. Oorvid waits just outside the doorway, wielding both axes and covering his ears with his fists for the upcomming pulse of sound. Coordinating, Wrenn and Hiroshi both become exposed at the same time, both have no choice but to target the same opponent. Astrid whizzes her stone through the doorway, over the croutched Wrenn. to collide with an adjacent wall.
Range bonuses are negated for first launch due to cover.
Wrenn: 11(launch) + 16(accuracy) + 15(clarity) + 84(d100) + 163(surprise) = 289
Hiroshi: 10(launch) + 19(accuracy) + 12(clarity) + 84(d100) + 68(surprise) = 193

Shimadows: 14(dodge) + 9(analysis) + 94(d100) = 117
S1: 289 - 117 = 172% * 7 = 12. Body: 8 - 12 = -4, incapacitated
S1: 193 - 117 = 76% * 7 = 5. Body: -4 - 5 = -9, unconscious
Astrid: 21(bending) + 9(sound) + 94 = 115
Wrenn: 19(bending) + 15(shock) + 40 = 74
Hiroshi: 21(bending) + 10(heat) + 67(d100) = 98

Shimadows: 12(conditioning) + 9(clarity) + 87(d100) = 108
S2: 115 - 108 = 7% * 2 = ~1. Mind: 8 - 1 = 7, irritated
The arrow from Wrenn and the javelin from Hiroshi both strike the target with incredible effect. Even though he would have resisted the mystical assault, he falls backward, loses consciousness, and continues to bleed out. At that same instant, the stone from Astrid collides with the wall emmitting a piercing pulse. Unfortunately only two of the four enemies happen to be within damaging range and one is already unconscious.

The remaining three Shimadows yell something banal and move to engage Wrenn and Hiroshi who are visible, unaware of the waiting Oorvid or the addition of Astrid.
OOC: Excellent preparation strategy. Bonus award of 7 DP.
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Wrenn and Hiroshi will make a show of fleeing, further down the hallway, away from the party.

OOC: The way I picture it is this: Assume you're inside the room. Hiroshi and Wrenn are in the doorway. UNSEEN, to the right of the doorway, is where the rest of the party is. Wrenn and Hiroshi will flee to the left. If they pursue, they will hopefully go left, leaving their backs exposed to the party, and suddenly finding themselves facing Wrenn and Hiroshi, who have stopped, and drawn their weapons.


The pair run only a short distance, before stopping to draw their weapons, and waiting for their opponents to appear in the hallway.

Wrenn: 77, 97+91 (188), 84
Hiroshi: 77, 51, 92+30 (122)
 

Astrid

Explorer
Astrid steps back and ducks low against the wall. Her hand begins to quiver while holding her dagger. She had killed many creatures before, but taking another sentient life was causing doubt. Surely there had to be another way, but Hiroshi had gestered they would not be friendly and she had never found a reason to doubt him. She grips her dagger and prepares to wait until the last opponent runs by and than will charge the blade with heat.

78, 96, 25
 

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Astrid: full wellness
Stones: 20 - 2 = 18
Hiroshi: full wellness
Oorvid: full wellness
Wrenn: full wellness
Arrows: 20 - 2 = 18
Ant Stingers: 4, {toxicity x2}
Bat Guano: 50 measures, ??
Beetle Carapace: 1, max value 40 marks
White Silk: coverage 12%, max value 12 marks
Bird Skulls: 5, ??

coal: 52 bricks, ??
Range bonuses are negated for first launch due to cover.
Wrenn: 11(launch) + 16(accuracy) + 15(clarity) + 84(d100) + 163(surprise) = 289
Hiroshi: 10(launch) + 19(accuracy) + 12(clarity) + 84(d100) + 68(surprise) = 193

Shimadows: 14(dodge) + 9(analysis) + 94(d100) = 117
S1: 289 - 117 = 172% * 7 = 12. Body: 8 - 12 = -4, incapacitated
S1: 193 - 117 = 76% * 7 = 5. Body: -4 - 5 = -9, unconscious
Astrid: 21(bending) + 9(sound) + 94 = 115
Wrenn: 19(bending) + 15(shock) + 40 = 74
Hiroshi: 21(bending) + 10(heat) + 67(d100) = 98

Shimadows: 12(conditioning) + 9(clarity) + 87(d100) = 108
S2: 115 - 108 = 7% * 2 = ~1. Mind: 8 - 1 = 7, irritated
Wrenn and Hiroshi will ... run only a short distance, before stopping to draw their weapons...
Astrid... grips her dagger... charge the blade with heat.
96, 25
Crossing the doorway, Hiroshi and Wrenn draw the attention of the enemy. The three fall for the ruse, quickly exiting the doorway and turning after the two, exposing their backs to Oorvid and Astrid.
Hiroshi: 10(readiness) + 18(speed) + 12(clarity) + 77(d100) = 117
Wrenn: 11 + 16 + 15 + 77 = 119
Shimadows: 10 + 9 + 14 + 77 = 110
Hiroshi: 100(javelin) - 117 = ~0
Wrenn: 50 - 119 = ~0
Shimadows: 100 - 110 = ~0
Astrid: 10(finesse) + 13(accuracy) + 21(clarity) + 78(d100) = 122 + 48(surprise) = 170
Hiroshi: 10 + 18 + 12 + 51 = 91
Oorvid: 18 + 16 + 21 + 106 = 161 + 90 = 251
Wrenn: 11 + 16 + 15 + 188 = 230

Shimadows: 10 + 14 + 9 + 106 = 139
Shimadows: 10(defense) + 14(avoidance) + 9(analysis) + 103(d100) = 136
S3: 230 - 136 = 94% * 5 = 5, Body: 8 - 5 = 3, injured
S4: 170 - 136 = 34% * 5 = 2, Body: 8 - 2 = 6, hurt
251 - 136 = 115% * 10 = 12, Body: 6 - 12 = -6, unconscious

Hiroshi: 10 + 18 + 10 + 122 = 160, dodged
Oorvid: 17 + 16 + 22 + 103 = 158
Wrenn: 11 + 16 + 15 + 84 = 126
damage: 139 - 126 = 13% * 10 = 1 - 2(tunic) = 0
Tunic: 60 - 1 = 59
Oorvid and Astrid wait for the third enemy to pass before attacking, effectively making the most of their surprise, being able to completely remove that opponent from combat.

Hiroshi and one Shimadow can neither one hit the other. Wrenn and his opponent both exchange blows but the tunic of Wrenn protects him from any harm.
GM: The hindrance of Wrenn's tunic is greater than his effective strength, meaning that he cannot wear the item. This will need to be corrected.

OOC: All characters receive 5 DP. Combat continues.
 
Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Now that their opponents have closed into melee, Hiroshi and Wrenn will use a combination of martial strikes (fists / feet) combined with leach attacks.

Wrenn: Physical: 82 / Leach: 66
Hiro: Physical: 80 / Leach: 91+95 = 186
 

Astrid

Explorer
Astrid signals oorvid to move forward behind the other two opponents. She stands just a bit behind and says "Surrender You are out numbered" in what little bit she knows of the Shimadow language. Unsure if it will work or if it is worth the time, but figuring there is no need for bloodshed unless Hiroshi, tells her otherwise.
66, 7, 75
 

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Astrid: full wellness
Stones: 20 - 2 = 18
Hiroshi: full wellness
Oorvid: full wellness
Wrenn: full wellness
Arrows: 20 - 2 = 18
Ant Stingers: 4, {toxicity x2}
Bat Guano: 50 measures, ??
Beetle Carapace: 1, max value 40 marks
White Silk: coverage 12%, max value 12 marks
Bird Skulls: 5, ??

coal: 52 bricks, ??
Range bonuses are negated for first launch due to cover.
Wrenn: 11(launch) + 16(accuracy) + 15(clarity) + 84(d100) + 163(surprise) = 289
Hiroshi: 10(launch) + 19(accuracy) + 12(clarity) + 84(d100) + 68(surprise) = 193

Shimadows: 14(dodge) + 9(analysis) + 94(d100) = 117
S1: 289 - 117 = 172% * 7 = 12. Body: 8 - 12 = -4, incapacitated
S1: 193 - 117 = 76% * 7 = 5. Body: -4 - 5 = -9, unconscious
Astrid: 21(bending) + 9(sound) +
Wrenn: 19(bending) + 15(leech) + 66(d100) = 100
Hiroshi: 21(bending) + 10(leech) + 186(d100) = 217

Shimadows: 12(conditioning) + 9(clarity) + 121(d100) = 142
S2: 217 - 142 = 75% * 2 = 2. Body: 8 - 2 = 6, hurt
Hiroshi: 0 + 100(bending) = 100
Wrenn: 0 + 100(bending) = 100
Shimadows: 0 + 100(javelin) = 100
Astrid: 10(finesse) + 13(accuracy) + 21(clarity) +
Hiroshi: 10 + 18 + 12 + 80 = 120
Oorvid: 18 + 16 + 21 +
Wrenn: 11 + 16 + 15 + 82 = 124

Shimadows: 10 + 14 + 9 + 76 = 109
Shimadows: 10(defense) + 14(avoidance) + 9(analysis) + 76(d100) = 109
S2: 120 - 109 = 11% * 2 = ~1, Mind: 8 - 1 = 7, irritated
S3: 124 - 109 = 25% * 2 = ~1, Body: 8 - 5 = 3, injured, Mind: 8 - 1 = 7, irritated
S4: Body: 6 - 12 = -6, unconscious

Hiroshi: 10 + 18 + 10 + 80 = 118, dodged
Oorvid: 17 + 16 + 22 +
Wrenn: 11 + 16 + 15 + 84 = 126, dodged
Tunic: 60 - 1 = 59
... Hiroshi and Wrenn will use a combination of martial strikes... combined with (leech) attacks.
Astrid signals (Oorvid)... and says"Surrender..." in... Shimadow... no need for bloodshed unless (Wrenn), tells her otherwise.
GM: NOTE: Wrenn is also Shimadow. Hiroshi is Centrin.

Everything is still happening at basically the same time, as far as a mind can translate, so that the words of Astrid complete after another assault. Wrenn is unable to affect his opponent, but Hiroshi, by stroke of luck, leeches some life away.

With her limited knowledge, Astrid says, "Stop. We big. You small," but the meaning is clear enough and the Shimadow are not complete psychotics. They realize the futility of their situation and move to a gesture of surrender.

Oorvid says to Wrenn, "Tell them they may keep one javelin but to leave everything else, take their unconscious friend, and leave this place."
OOC: All characters receive 5 DP and improve in Shimadow by 2%.
 

Astrid

Explorer
Astrid waits until the Shimadow are gone before falling back to a wall by herself. She pulls her watersack and drinks from it as she slumps to the floor. The mixture of emotions and the use of her powers fatigue her.
 

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Astrid: full wellness
Stones: 20 - 2 = 18
Hiroshi: full wellness
Oorvid: full wellness
Wrenn: full wellness
Arrows: 20 - 2 = 18
Ant Stingers: 4, {toxicity x2}
Bat Guano: 50 measures, ??
Beetle Carapace: 1, max value 40 marks
White Silk: coverage 12%, max value 12 marks
Bird Skulls: 5, ??

coal: 52 bricks, ??
Oorvid says to Wrenn, "Tell them they may keep one javelin but to leave everything else, take their unconscious friend, and leave this place."
Wrenn has no aversion to stating the terms. The standing Shimadow are not happy with the declaration, but they are in no position to argue, though one does bargain for their waterskins, which is granted. The offer of the one javelin was to prevent starvation. None of the four harbors such cruelty as to see someone dehydrate.

Keeping their food related items, in addition to the one javelin, they deposit a talisman made of brightly colored feathers, probably songbird, a necklace with two large flat teeth, probably rodent, and a piece of dull dray stone. The three then take their unconscious colleague and carry him out with their departure.

Oorvid sees Astrid and concurs, sitting for a moment against the wall. His heart is beating so hard in his chest that it can be seen shaking his garment. "Never been in a fight before. The Storyteller talks about battles and headhunters, but being in it is different. Looks like they left us some spoils."
OOC: Provide two random rolls, each, with your next replies. Each character receives 5 DP.
 
Last edited:

Astrid

Explorer
"Why did we do this? Were they a threat to us? We could have just left them be, but we nearly killed one while invading their home. I don't know. Wrapped up in the moment it felt like the thing to do, but reflection of the matter. Wrenn, these are your people no? Does it not bother you? Do they truly deserve what we did?" Astrid just sits there attempting to unravel all that has occurred.

91, 89, and 36 cause I rolled a third time and figured might as well include it.
 

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
GM: NOTE:
In a world of men and monsters, some men are monsters. While player characters are nor restricted to the dispositions of any various tribe, encounters of indigenous peoples will be.

Descriptions of various hostiles are provided in the documents entitled "In the Wilds." If Tellerian Hawke, who is playing Wrenn, is not read up enough to provide a response, I will further clarify in my next post.

For future reference, characters who are predisposed more to benevolence will not generally ambush a foe, even if known to be malevolent, as most are. This is just for role-play. There is no penalty or detriment. The game can be better learned as it is played.
 

Advertisement2

Advertisement4

Top