log in or register to remove this ad

 

Some Stories Are True

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Astrid: full wellness
Stones: 20
Hiroshi: full wellness
Oorvid: full wellness
Wrenn: full wellness
Arrows: 20 - 1 = 19
Ant Stingers: 4, {toxicity x2}
White Silk: coverage 12%, max value 12 marks
Bird Skulls: 5, ??
GM: There are no usual "magic items" to be collected or purchased, but there are "affinity items" that will augment Abilities or enhance the Bending of certain waylines. These items come from animals, plants, metal, and stone. The collection of parts from other people is malevolent, but trinkets carried by other people may be collected as spoils from combat. Characters who are pursuing the Aberrant or Divination Collegiate paths will feel compelled to examine the bones, blood, and organs of the slain to see if any item harbors such proclivity. Those pursuing the Academic Collegiate path will feel compelled to examine feathers, hair, and herbs. Those pursuing the Theological Collegiate path will feel compelled to examine metal ingots. All characters will feel drawn toward, claws, teeth, and various stones.

This is an inherent compulsion but a statement needs to be made in a post or no search will be performed for any such items and none will be examined. The declaration may be as simple and generic as the fallen are searched or the animal is cleaned and examined for anything useful.
 
Last edited:

log in or register to remove this ad

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Wrenn frowns, deep in thought.

Finally, he mentions, "I wonder if there is a way to neutralize the spray BEFORE the animal makes use of it, through the same chemical wayline manipulation that we use to purge it after the fact? I did not like suffering through that."

Hiroshi chuckles at his friend.

Hiroshi says, "That's a conversation for tonight's campfire. In the meantime, we should skin it, clean it, and see if any of the parts are useful for anything. We should also cut up the meat. I wonder if we could use chemical waylines to make the meat taste less gamey?"

This last comment about the gamey taste is more of a rhetorical question. The two friends waste no time setting about the task; they have worked together many times in the village, helping each other with the other's chores, in order to have more free time amongst themselves.

Wrenn says, "You two come help as well, it will make the task go more quickly."
 

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Oorvid laughs at the line of thought concerning the spray. "Hmm. Interesting idea, but since you would have to touch the varmint before you could try it, what do you bet it could spray you first, every time?"

He guffaws too loudly.

"You think that stinky thing is edible?"

Since Wren and Hiroshi have taken to prepping the animal, Oorvid retrieves his thrown axe and gathers some wood for a fire, surprising himself by igniting it just by willing it.
 

Astrid

Explorer
"In theory would it not be possible to proactively neutralize the spray? I am no expert in chemical wayline manipulation, but it stands to reason if you know how to fix it you could again in theory be able to prepare counter to it. I doubt the affect would last long of course so your timing would need to be fairly good." Astrid draws her dagger and sets off to help Wrenn and Hiroshi anyway she can.
 

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Astrid: full wellness
Stones: 20
Hiroshi: full wellness
Oorvid: full wellness
Wrenn: full wellness
Arrows: 20 - 1 = 19
Ant Stingers: 4, {toxicity x2}
White Silk: coverage 12%, max value 12 marks
Bird Skulls: 5, ??
... (Wrenn) mentions, "I wonder... neutralize... BEFORE the animal makes use of it..."

Hiroshi says, "... In the meantime, we should skin it..."
Oorvid laughs... "Hmm... touch the varmint before you could try it..."
"... it stands to reason... fix it... prepare counter to it..." Astrid... to help Wrenn and Hiroshi...
Different words are used but the four decide upon the same conclusion, especially after employing manipulation to reduce the smell of cleaning the animal. The meat later has all the flavor of water and it is decided that more practice will be needed to determine just how much to bend the waylines to their will. The final thought on the subject renders a hanging question. The toxic spray might be neutralized before it could be employed but the varmint would have to be touched. If one could only determine how to manipulate waylines at a distance. Perhaps with some time...

8CAB2397-895A-4577-A194-920F65CAECE5.jpeg


Having taken some near village excursions in their even younger days, the four youths are quite pleased with the current discovery, having never before ventured so far inland from the coast, fresh water and seemingly plentiful game. The day turns into 10 with the four thoroughly exploring the external remains of the ruin.

The two points of egress on the outer wall used to be impeded by iron-wrought gates. Both gates are open and weathered beyond any recovery of the metal. Several other points of egress exist now, with parts of the wall crumbling and two large trees having grown at the southwest and northeast corners. The main structure appears to be three levels in height and still seems structurally sound. Two of the four sentry towers, where the trees now stand, are nothing much more than rubble. The other two are intact with stone steps leading upward, directly across from the open entry. Narrow slits in the construction of the walls allow enough light to enter for a person to see to move around but not enough to actually examine anything.

Of the other two structures along the outer wall, one appears like it might have been some kind of tenet housing. Its wooden door is still closed, but a corner has been eaten away by forest denizens and the wood does not look like it would give a toddler much resistance. The smaller building looks to have been a smithy. It is open. The main building has two entry points, one in the front and one in the back. The one in the back was barricaded by an iron portcullis, similar in manufacture to the outer gates, with the metal in similar deterioration. The front could have been barricaded by a wooden draw gate, but the gate is opened, flat. It is too dark to comfortably move about the main building.

During the 10-day of camping, some discussion and experimentation ensues in which it is learned that a stone or the stone tip of Wrenn's arrows can be caused to give light, or a glow can be produced in thin air. The light, only about the brightness of a single candle, lasts for about 10 minutes no mater who illuminates it. The floating illumination requires concentration but the illuminated stone does not.

Early in the morning, Oorvid returns from washing his face in the pool and says, "Well, what say you we actually search through one of those outer buildings?"
OOC: Each character receives 5 DP. Don't forget to update your character records.
 
Last edited:

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Astrid: full wellness
Stones: 20
Hiroshi: full wellness
Oorvid: full wellness
Wrenn: full wellness
Arrows: 20 - 1 = 19
Ant Stingers: 4, {toxicity x2}
White Silk: coverage 12%, max value 12 marks
Bird Skulls: 5, ??
View attachment 124494

Having been rather content during the tenday (there exist no term like week), Oorvid begins to grow impatient, but not yet to the point of impetuousness. During the silence he makes a suggestion. "How about we begin with the structure next to the southern gate that looks like it may have been a smithy? It is only one level. Next we could move to the one that looks like tenet housing or maybe a barracks. It is two levels."
OOC: The words on the left of the map indicate that 1 square is 10 strides in length. (That is about 10 yards in American terms.)
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Wrenn and Hiroshi both seem to like that idea.

Wrenn says, "Agreed. Let's start with the smithy."

Hiroshi nods, "And I agree that the barracks is a good choice for second to explore."
 

Astrid

Explorer
OOC: Sorry for not being very active. Work is hell right now.

"Very well, Oorvid if you would do the honors of taking point, we shall follow your lead." Astrid draws her sling and follows in the middle of the pack to best utilize her slings range.
 

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Astrid: full wellness
Stones: 20
Hiroshi: full wellness
Oorvid: full wellness
Wrenn: full wellness
Arrows: 20 - 1 = 19
Ant Stingers: 4, {toxicity x2}
White Silk: coverage 12%, max value 12 marks
Bird Skulls: 5, ??
Wrenn and Hiroshi... like that idea...
"Very well... follows in the middle...
Oorvid agrees to take lead. With Astrid and Wren being in the middle, Hiroshi takes the follow position. Oorvid picks up a random stone. When everyone has entered the smithy, he bends electromagnetic waylines to cause the stone to glow. The light does not flicker like a candle or torch. It is steady. He holds the stone over his head, in his left hand, and grips a carving axe in his right.

Tiny, insignificant denizens of the forest have made residences in the building, little lizards, bugs, and orb weavers. No threat is perceived. The smithy appears to have been abandoned, not gleaned. There are barrels that probably once held water, a kettle forge, an open fire pit, and various sacks and debris. It appears that nothing has disturbed the smithy for some time.
OOC: Each character receives 5 DP. State any specific intended activities with regard to the inside of the smithy. Provide a random roll.
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Wrenn will check the bags, and sift through the debris, in hopes of finding something useful, such as a tool, or other object. Hiroshi will check the barrels in a similar manner, for the same purpose.

Wrenn = 50
Hiroshi = 52
 

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Astrid: full wellness
Stones: 20
Hiroshi: full wellness
Oorvid: full wellness
Wrenn: full wellness
Arrows: 20 - 1 = 19
Ant Stingers: 4, {toxicity x2}
Bat Guano: 50 measures, ??
White Silk: coverage 12%, max value 12 marks
Bird Skulls: 5, ??

coal: 52 bricks, ??
Wrenn will check... sift... Hiroshi will check the barrels...
With the smithy still being somewhat exposed to the elements and so much time having passed, wooden objects, tools, and any viable ore that might have remained are of no use; however, within the rotting sacks are found 52 bricks of coal. While there is not a feasible manner of carrying such, as yet, something can surely be designed upon departure. Oorvid, for certain, does not want to leave such valuable smithing mineral behind.

With a change in the original planned order, the four decide to explore the nearest guard tower, next. Varmints have already eaten a hole in the bottom of the closed wooden door and the remainder is easily removed. A family of raccoons chatters loudly at the intrusion and the strange illumination and quickly vacates the domain when the people move from the door.

The stone steps to the second floor seem secure and the floor is found to be empty. It is the acrid, tarry, sulfurous smell wafting down from the third floor that draws attention. After some jovial, verbal, jabbing and prodding, it is Hiroshi who creeps up the stairs to take a peek, then motions the other up. The third floor has been adopted by as a residence by bats. The smell comes from the sizeable pile of guano on the floor. The bats seem little disturbed by the intrusion or the light. Removing his wool shirt from underneath his leather tunic, Oorvid adapts a sack to carry the guano, which is a known fuel source for torches. Getting some fresh stick from the forest, 50 measures are piled onto the shirt before it will hold no more. The shirt is tied and left outside the door to be collected upon departure.

Oorvid says quietly thinking that he does not want to spook the bats. "We can return here and bring some better sacks to carry more. This is a lot of guano."

The building that is suspected of being tenet housing or a bunk house has had its door similarly damaged. It too is easily removed. No raccoons this time. Over the years, the roof has collapsed and caved into the first floor. Enough leaf litter and other such debris has filled in the gap so that the lights are necessary to see for too little sunlight can penetrate. The room smells of dirt and mold. A huge pile of rotting timber and dirt fills the majority of the floor space, a pile which starts to move.

Boring out of the debris at the disturbing presence are 4 mottled colored beetles, about the size of a person's head, who are preparing to defend their wonderfully dilapidated dump by emitting their toxic spray.

00684729-ADFB-4615-BF72-331556E56F39.jpeg
OOC: Each character receives 5 DP. State intentions and provide a reaction roll and an action roll.
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Wrenn says, "Remember what we thought of last time? Try to use our talents to ameliorate the effects of the spray. I hear that beetle venom is very bitter and debilitating. If we do this right, we'll have an advantage. Let them spray first, and invoke the talent at that exact moment!"

Hiroshi nods, fully intending upon taking Wrenn's advice.

Wrenn Reaction: 68
Hiroshi Reaction: 41
Wrenn Wayline Manipulation = 100! (+22) = 122
Hiroshi WM = 79
 

Astrid

Explorer
"More bugs" Astrid having had her sling prepared charges her rock with the power of sound. Instead of aiming for the beetles themselves she aims for a nearby in the debris in an attempt to disrupt the beetles by using the pulse from her charged rock to disrupt the pile the beetles are on.
Reaction 84, Sling 79, Magic Voodoo 81 and an additional 52 if needed for anything else.
 

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Astrid: full wellness
Stones: 20
Hiroshi: full wellness
Oorvid: full wellness
Wrenn: full wellness
Arrows: 20 - 1 = 19
Ant Stingers: 4, {toxicity x2}
Bat Guano: 50 measures, ??
White Silk: coverage 12%, max value 12 marks
Bird Skulls: 5, ??

coal: 52 bricks, ??
GM said:
Boring out of the debris at the disturbing presence are 4 mottled colored beetles, about the size of a person's head, who are preparing to defend their wonderfully dilapidated dump by emitting their toxic spray.
Wrenn says, "... Let them spray first, and invoke the talent at that exact moment!"

Hiroshi nods...
... Astrid... charges her rock... sound... aims for a nearby...
Sling 79, and an additional 52 if needed for anything else.
Being more reactionary than strategic, Oorvid simply wields his axes, hoping to bash the bugs with the flat side.
Readiness + Speed + Clarity + d100
Astrid: 10 + 19 + 11 + 84 = 113
Hiroshi: 10 + 18 + 11 + 41 = 80
Oorvid: 17 + 15 + 18 + 64 = 114
Wrenn: 11 + 16 + 15 + 68 = 110
Beetles: 20 + 16 + 0 + 74 = 110
Hinder - Reaction => 0
Astrid: 100(bending/sling) - 113 = ~0
Hiroshi: 100(bending) - 80 = 20
Oorvid: 50(axe) - 114 = ~0
Wrenn: 100(bending) - 110 = ~0
Beetles: 100(spray) - 110 = ~0
Bending + various + d100
Astrid: 19 + 9 + 81 = 109
Hiroshi: 21 + 12 + 79 = 112 < 130, fail
Wrenn: 19 + 15 + 122 = 156 > 130, success
Beetles: 36 + 94 = 130
Conditioning + Clarity + d100
Astrid: 12 + 11 + 81 = 104
damage: 130 - 104 = 26% * 8 = 2
Mind: 8 - 2 = 6, dazed
Hiroshi: 10 + 12 + 79 = 101
damage: 130 - 101 = 29% * 8 = 2
Mind: 8 - 2 = 6, dazed
Oorvid: 16 + 18 + 94 = 118
damage: 130 - 118 = 12% * 8 = 1
Mind: 8 - 1 = 7, irritated
Beetles: 20 + 74 = 94
damage: 109 - 94 = 15% * 2 = ~1
B1 & B2: Mind: 2 - 1 = 1, dazed
Aggression + Accuracy + Fury + d100
Oorvid: 19 + 15 + 17 + 94 = 145
Readiness + Avoidance + Analysis + d100
Beeltes: 36 + 16 + 0 + 74 = 110
damage: 145 - 110 = 35% * 10 = 4 - 1(soak) = 3
B3: Body: 1 - 3 = -2, dead
Though large insects are common, the most frequently seen varieties are only about the size of a person's fist. Various beetles of such size do crawl about the debris pile, and all are attempting to burrow away from the light. The larger varieties pose a threat.

Several things happen simultaneously, the beetles spray, Astrid looses a charged stone, Oorvid swings an axe, and Wrenn bends chemical waylines. After which, Hiroshi completes his manipulation. Wrenn not only resists the wave of toxic fumes, he is able to negate one of them, rendering it harmless; however, in the comfined space, the other three are toxic enough. Oorvid smacks his closest beetle with the flat of an axe, splitting the carapace and killing the bug. Astrid lands a stone in between two beetles, causing harm to both with a low frequency pulse, but not enough to incapacitate either. Hiroshi is not quite able to counter the spray.

The three functional, large beetles now move as if, like the small versions of themselves, they will burrow into the debris.

Oorvid grits his teeth and mutters, "Get 'em!"
OOC: Each character receives 5 DP.
 
Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Wrenn will attempt to heat one of the beetles that Astrid injured. At the same time, he will shoot an arrow at it, just in case.

Heat = 81
Arrow = 56
 

Astrid

Explorer
Astrid's amber eye turns cloudy as lightning travels from it, down her arm into her second rock as it launches from her sling. "I really dislike bugs"

1st 98, 2nd 92
 

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Astrid: Mind: 8 - 2 = 6, dazed
Stones: 20 - 2 = 18
Hiroshi: Mind: 8 - 2 - 2 = 4, dazed
Oorvid: Mind: 8 - 1 = 7, irritated
Wrenn: full wellness
Arrows: 20 - 2 = 18
Ant Stingers: 4, {toxicity x2}
Bat Guano: 50 measures, ??
White Silk: coverage 12%, max value 12 marks
Bird Skulls: 5, ??

coal: 52 bricks, ??
Hinder - Reaction => 0
Astrid: 0 + 100(bending/sling) = 100 + 20 = 120
Hiroshi: 20 + 100(bending) = 120 + 20(dazed) = 140
Oorvid: 0 + 50(axe) = 50 + 10(dazed) = 60
Wrenn: 0 + 100(bending) = 100
Beetles: 0 + 100(move) = 100 + 10(dazed) = 110
Bending + various + d100
Astrid: 19 + 9(shock) + 190 = 218
Wrenn: 19 + 15 + 81 = 115
Beetles: 130
Conditioning + Clarity + d100
Astrid: 12 + 11 + 218 > 130, resisted
Mind: 8 - 2 = 6, dazed
Hiroshi: 10 + 12 + 81 = 103
damage: 130 - 103 = 27% * 8 = 2
Mind: 8 - 2 = 6 - 2 = 4, dazed
Oorvid: 16 + 18 + 135 > 130, resisted
Mind: 8 - 1 = 7, irritated
Beetles: 20 + 125 = 145
damage: 218 - 125 = 93% * 2 = 2
B1 & B2: Mind: 2 - 1 = 1, dazed, Body: 2 - 2 = 0, incapacitated
Aggression + Accuracy + Fury + d100
Oorvid: 19 + 15 + 17 + 135 = 186
Wrenn: 11 + 16 + 15 + 56 = 98 + 100(PB) = 198
Readiness + Avoidance + Analysis + d100
Beeltes: 36 + 16 + 0 + 125 = 177
damage: 186 - 177 = 09% * 10 = 1 - 1(soak) = 0
damage: 198 - 177 = 21% * 7 = 1 - 2(deflect), ineffective
B3: Body: 1 - 3 = -2, dead
Wrenn... heat... shoot...
Astrid... lightning... rock...
Oorvid steps to his left and reaches one of the beetles before anyone can act. He ineffectively slaps it with his carving axe. Secondly, the stone headed arrow from Wrenn strikes and glances off the shell of another, releasing a pulse of heat that the beetle manages to resist. The beetles almost complete bury into the debris when the stone from Astrid strikes in about the same location. The released shock seems to have stunned the two beetles in place for they never finish burying themselves. The last escapes.

Hiroshi is the only member to sustain secondary damage from the toxic fumes.

Oorvid picks up a beetle and says, "Well we know what is in here. Let's get some air."
OOC: Each character receives 5 DP.
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Wrenn will help Hiroshi to recover from the fumes, by manipulating waylines to speed Hiroshi's own bodily healing processes.

Healing: 81
 

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Astrid: full wellness
Stones: 20 - 2 = 18
Hiroshi: full wellness
Oorvid: full wellness
Wrenn: full wellness
Arrows: 20 - 2 = 18
Ant Stingers: 4, {toxicity x2}
Bat Guano: 50 measures, ??
Beetle Carapace: 1, max value 40 marks
White Silk: coverage 12%, max value 12 marks
Bird Skulls: 5, ??

coal: 52 bricks, ??
Wrenn will help Hiroshi...
It takes only a few minutes for everyone other than Wrenn to clear his head, including Hiroshi, after receiving some assistance to accelerate the process. Only Oorvid thought to bring a souvenir from the encounter. "This beetle shell is pretty neat."

He holds up the pieces of the elytra, shifting them around in his hands. "I think I could fashion a shield from this thing, if I wanted to, but I don't. I carry two weapons. I think I will bring it back with us, though."

C8D3180F-3C4B-46B2-90D2-C37CE7B8CB15.jpeg

The only remaining sentry tower that can be entered proves boringly empty. Oorvid retrieves several more stones before the party enters the main building. Walking across the opened draw door, the party is thankful that it does not span a moat or other some such for the wood is all but decayed and squishes when trod.

Wanting his hands free, Oorvid illuminates one of his stones and tosses into the entrance. The immediate room is rectangular in shape, the length perpendicular to the entrance, having entered at about the midpoint. It appears to once have been something of a mudroom, a place where travelers could remove soiled clothing and leave pets, a place for mounts was probably outside but gone. A double door straight across from the entrance stands open.

Oorvid retrieves his lit stone and tosses it through the next doorway. The next room is very large, appearing to once have been used as a combination greeting feasting area. More light will be necessary to better examine the room. There are fire places along both side walls, two sets of stairs leading upward in the back, and an open doorway.

The open doorway leads into what was once a kitchen and storage area. More light will be necessary to better examine this area. All rooms have mounted oil lamps with oil still in them, as the oil is never going to evaporate, though tiny insects have found their deaths in it.
OOC: Each character receives 5 DP.
 

Astrid

Explorer
Astrid walks to the oil lamps as her eyes seems turn ablaze as she places her hands on the wicks and they ignite. She does this while slowly keeping lookout. "Needless to say, we should be on guard. We have been lucky so far, but this is a much larger area and a bear or such creature is going to be a difficult problem for us."
 

COMING SOON: 5 Plug-In Settlements for your 5E Game

Advertisement2

Advertisement4

Top