log in or register to remove this ad

 

Some Stories Are True


log in or register to remove this ad

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Askari is wary... take a chance....
As Volki... can only hope...
Wrenn... offers his hand...
Askari: 24(coerce) + 21(muddle) + 25(d100) = 70
Volki: 25 + 23(befriend) + 82 = 130

Astrid: 25(skepticism) + 24(clarity) + 50(d100) = 99
Hiroshi: 25 + 25 + 50 = 100
Oorvid: 23 + 23 + 45 = 91
Wrenn: 27 + 27 + 19 = 73
GM: Had the intentions of the two newcomers been anything other than genuine, only Volki could have fooled the party, and that by stroke of fortune.

The two explain that they are from an Ansylin village located what they were told was the Evening Shadow of the Dragon's Wing. The party understands this to be just within the Bakka-taerm Desert about a day's journey north of the Centrin village. Respectively, no one in the party is aware of the existence of the other village, though trade has now been established between the two during the period of exploration.

Having made multiple day trips into the desert, Askari and Volki explain that the idea of exploring a forest of giant trees, most as tall as 50 people, sounded much more exciting than rocks and sand. They had only been in the forest two days when chance encounter merged the parties.

The other four talk of the discover of, what they were told was called, the Chain of Keeps, ancient in constructed having existed longer than forest that now surrounds them. Conversation indicates that all six youth have met and are familiar with the elder Spiofthest who is simply called the Storyteller. To everyone's amazement, Askari says that the man speaks Ansylin when visiting his village. Hiroshi says the man spoke Centrin when visiting his village.
GM: On that Note: The default language for the party is now Shimadow instead of Spiofthest. The use of other languages must be indicated.

While the party gets to know one another, Oorvid finds a suitable, fresh stick and splits the end of it multiple times with his carving axe. He then jambs the smooth, clear stone (glass marble) into the end and tethers it on both sides with some gut string.

Once everyone is agreed to re-enter the tunnel to continue the current exploration Oorvid addresses the newcomers. "Well, might as well show you right away. We all have a particular talent that is ill-understood, feared, and publicly forbidden in polite society."

He puts his finger on the stone and it begins to glow with light. Askari is a bit taken aback but Volki almost laughs. With only about 10% of the general populace having such talent, it would seem a statistical impossibility for six individuals to find one another, but the talent seems to draw together those of like skill, defying statistics.

Because the process is unnaturally fatiguing, everyone takes turns illuminating and carrying the lamp. Returning to the room of entrance for the original four, there remains two unexplored directions, East and South. As one is as good as another, the party moves East. As the party walks, the wear of age is readily evident even though the tunnels were well-made, so is the evidence that someone has been recently cleaning them. The party has been walking for about three hours when, at one of the moments that the lamp extinguishes, faint light can be seen far up ahead. The light does not appear to be moving.

Approaching as carefully and quietly as possible, the light is natural, though faint for the late hour of afternoon and the depth of the tunnel. It is sunlight from the open trapdoor some four body length up. The access is made, once again, by a metal ladder. The tunnel continues on eastward.

Being as cautious as possible, everyone eventually exits, being glad to be out of the tunnel for a bit. The landing is another stone pergola as the one previously discovered. Near at hand, there is overt evidence of a campsite, though no one else can currently be seen or heard. Being late afternoon, whoever made the camp may be off setting game traps or foraging for food.
Astrid: full wellness
Stones: 20
Hiroshi: full wellness
Javelins: 4
Oorvid: full wellness
Wrenn: full wellness
Arrows: 15
41 marks: currency
Aluminum: 1 brick, ??

Ant Stingers: 4, {toxicity x2}
Bat Guano: 4 measures, ??
Bird Skulls: 5, ??
Rodent Tooth Necklace: 3, (Health +1)
Songbird Talisman: 1, ??
Spider Claws: 3 sets, ??
Spider Fangs: 3 sets, ??

Coal: 4 bricks, ??
Bloodstone: 1, (Health +1)
curious stones: 2, ??
Dark Green Stone: 1 brick, ??
Dull, Gray Stone: 1, ??

Flowers: 2 measures, ??
OOC: Everyone receives 5 DP and improves in Shimadow by 2%, unless fluent. State intentions and idle actions. Provide 1 random roll.
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Wrenn says, in a whisper, "Wow, for a bunch of deserted ruins, they sure do seem to attract a lot of visitors. We should hide, and try to figure out whose camp this is, and what their intentions are. To be honest, I am somewhat skeptical of having TWO friendly encounters in a row. We should be on our guard."

40, 76
 

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Posting for @Osthelerin Hawke
Hiroshi nods at the wisdom of such suggestion. Since the trees, at present, cannot be climbed, he will look for hiding on the right flank of the encampment. He readies a javelin.
OOC: 61
 

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
GM: For benefit of the new players I am posting for the NPC separate from the main post.

Oorvid looks at Askari, the other muscle mass in the party, and quietly makes a statement as best he can, being poorly proficient in Shimadow. He is far from stupid, but speaking a third language makes him sound as such. "I not good hide. I stand here at campfire and wait."

He does now draw his carving axes but rests his hands on them, casually.
OOC: 75
 

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
GM: This is a bit out of place, but the other post was long enough.

833DCED5-BD54-403A-97AA-56AD26CE1167.jpeg

OOC: 1 square = 1 hour of travel: 10 hours is the normal walking time in a day.
 

Askari nods to Oorvid, kneels down, and acts as if he’s tending the fire. Thinking if the party is attacked, two obvious targets may distract the attackers from his hidden allies. Hidden from sight between the fire and his body, he keeps his hand on the hilt of his sword. While he’s doing this he will visually scan the campsite, while remaining alert; does it look like they left in haste (heard the party coming), or left a while ago, are there still belongings here indicating how many people plan to camp here?

Noticing that Oorvid is struggling with Shimadow, Askari will also pass the time by trying to help him with the dialect, though he himself is not overly fluent.

I am not good at hiding. I will stand here by the campfire and wait. Is what he tries to say, while smiling and trying to portray that he’s trying to help and not mocking Oorvid.
73
 
Last edited:

Gigeaux

Explorer
Volki nods to Wrenn, also believing there’s no way they will meet another friendly group so soon. The odds are just too low. She silently scans the surroundings for decent hiding spot near the camp and attempts to make herself blend into the background. She readies her daggers.
OOC: roll56

OOC: roll69
 

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Wrenn says... be on our guard
Hiroshi... hiding on the right flank...
Askari nods... hand on the hilt... scan the campsite...
Volki nods... decent hiding... readies her daggers.
GM: ROLEPLAY NOTE:
Since Shimadow is now the default language. Italian is used for Ansylin. Latin is used for Centrin. Icelandic is used for Norikadian. Dutch is used for Orngaddrin, and Irish is used for Spiofthest.

Oorvid nods his head twice and mouths the same words that Askari says to him, deliberately attempting to improve his use of the language. He whispers back, "Orngaddrin is heel anders," then in Shimadow, "Orngaddrin is much different."
Stealth: Mind + Knowledge + Learning + Tactile + Motility
Shade: Essence + Adhesion + Mysticism + Psionics
Camouflage: Essence + Cohesion + Mysticism + Hermetics
Astrid: 25(stealth) + 24(shade) + 50(d100) = 99
Hiroshi: 24 + 26 + 50 = 101
Volki: 25 + 23(camo) + 56 = 104
Wrenn: 27 + 27 + 40 = 94
Observation: Mind + Knowledge + Learning + Mercantile
Clarity: Essence + Cohesion + Mysticism + any but Aberrative
Askari: 22(observation) + 22(clarity) + 73(d100) = 117
Oorvid: 21 + 23 + 54 = 98
Poking around the fire, Askari digs up some embers. This campfire has been regularly used but not for quite some hours. Unnoticed before, there is considerable evidence that this site is being regularly used and that its occupants departed at leisure. Regular bedding areas can be noted from impression and discarded items of clothing and such are strewn without decorum. Whoever occupies this camp seems lazy.

Astrid moves to the right flank, close to Hiroshi. Wrenn moves to the far side of the fire, and Volki finds suitable concealment near the pergola. As Astrid and Hiroshi move, their visual imagery seems to darken, making them harder to see. As Voli and Wrenn move, their skin seems to blend with the environment.

Within the hour, careless voices indicate the approach of several people coming from the north. Chance favors the prepared in that no one chose that side for hiding. The language is recognized as none other than Shimadow, when nearer. When the lead of the wandering party is just in sight, they hold up hands in universal gesture of halt, indicating that there are others behind the lead two. They halt at the sight of the two bulky youths poking around their fire.

The young heroes can hear others of the Shimadow move through the trees as the two in the lead move toward Askari and Oorvid, gesturing violently and talking aggressively. It is too fast for Oorvid but Askari can understand they are saying things like: "What are you doing here? Get away from there! We are going to kill you!"

The Shimadow are young adults, not adolescents. They show some signs of battle exposure. It is not possible to determine an exact number but four in total are moving toward the campfire, while others can be heard moving East and West. The four have not yet readied javelins. They are still waving a universal gesture for go away.
OOC: Logistics: The approaching 4 are about 10 strides from Askari and Oorvid, making them about 25 strides from Astrid and Hiroshi, 15 strides from Volki and Wrenn, though from differing angles. Askari and Oorvid are in between Astrid, Hiroshi, and the approach.

GM: Reminder: Though it may at times seem a disadvantage, the attitude of the party has previously been agreed to refrain from ambush until first attacked. Maintaining this attitude is important to the plot and earns better reward.

Askari: full wellness
Astrid: full wellness
Stones: 20
Hiroshi: full wellness
Javelins: 4
Oorvid: full wellness
Volki: full wellness
Wrenn: full wellness
Arrows: 15
41 marks: currency
Aluminum: 1 brick, ??

Ant Stingers: 4, {toxicity x2}
Bat Guano: 4 measures, ??
Bird Skulls: 5, ??
Rodent Tooth Necklace: 3, (Health +1)
Songbird Talisman: 1, ??
Spider Claws: 3 sets, ??
Spider Fangs: 3 sets, ??

Coal: 4 bricks, ??
Bloodstone: 1, (Health +1)
curious stones: 2, ??
Dark Green Stone: 1 brick, ??
Dull, Gray Stone: 1, ??

Flowers: 2 measures, ??
OOC: Everyone receives 5 DP. State intentions and idle actions. Provide 1 random roll.
 
Last edited:

Knowing Volki can understand him and hoping the approaching party can not, Askari will say: Siamo quasi circondati. While playing it off as if he’s trying to communicate with the one talking.
If they show confusion, he will speak haltingly in Shimadow to cover his attempt.

We no mean harm, me and friend explore, look camp.


He does not immediately stand from the fire. If they attack, he will throw the found embers in the face of the closest one, and roll past him staying low. He is trying to create an opening for Oorvid to attack. When he roll past the first attacker, he will engage the second; attempt to deflect any incoming attack with his buckler and attack with his sword.
91 (luck +78), 85, 66, .... 5 .. it was going so well lol
 
Last edited:

Gigeaux

Explorer
Volki will stay alert to her surroundings, trying to locate the flanking Shimadow by their movements, without blowing her camouflage. She will keep ready to attack if they do but, as they are currently only asking Askari and Oorvid to leave and not being violent, she will remain a hidden threat. She is interested in why the did not immediately attack and told them to leave instead.
OOC: random roll 98(+36 Luck)= 134
 
Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Wrenn decides to take a measured risk; he knows of the usual proclivity of the Shimadow to attack unprovoked. Nevertheless, the fact that they chose to talk, even if it is in an angry tone, gives Wrenn a slight hope of avoiding the confrontation.

Wrenn stands up from his hiding place, bow drawn, but pointed at the ground, saying, in Shimadow, "My friends and I are exploring here. We have no quarrel with you YET. So why don't you tell your comrades circling the camp to cease at once, before they do something to really upset me."

Wrenn's inner thoughts: ~Even if we want to talk, we cannot dare to show any sign of weakness.~

91 (+6 Luck) = 97
 


MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
... Askari will say... will speak haltingly...
Volki... trying to locate the flanking Shimadow...
Wrenn decides... stands... saying...
Astrid... observes... Scanning...
Astrid: 25(stealth) + 24(shade) + 50(d100) = 99, seen
Hiroshi: 24 + 26 + 50 = 101, seen
Volki: 25 + 23(camo) + 56 = 104, seen
Shimadow: 30 + 112(d100) = 142
Shimadow: 30(perception) + 11(analysis) + 112(d100) = 153
Askari: 22(observation) + 22(clarity) + 73(d100) = 117
Oorvid: 21 + 23 + 54 = 98
Volki: 22 + 23 + 98 = 143
Oorvid: 29(motility)
Nomadic Shimadow offer equal opportunity malevolence as males and females will disperse equally among wandering clans. Luck, at this juncture seems to favor the enemy; though with difficulty, Volki manages to spot a pair of flankers nearing the pergola.

Having stepped out from the opposite direction, there is a chance of creating the illusion the party arrived from the forest, not the tunnels, when Wrenn speaks.

The Shimadow show no indication of understanding Ansylin, but they are briefly taken aback when Askari speaks their own tongue. Logic overrides surprise at the sight of Wrenn. The man who had previously spoken scoffs. "What manner of Shimadow travels with a... a... an Aedaman and a Mhytre? You speak of my flankers, yet you have others hidden about, as well. To be upset is the least of your concern. To walk away and live another day is the greater. Make me an offer and all 6 of you may, yet, walk away."

The word six shows that the man has seen everyone. It is very likely that the man has no knowledge of the name for the tribes of Askari or Oorvid but can recognize their races. These Shimadow are carrying too many supplies to have been foraging and hunting. The four have dropped large sacks and loose items. There is every indication that this is a raining party returning from some unknown, nearby, village.

OOC: Logistics: The approaching 4 are about 10 strides from Askari and Oorvid, making them about 25 strides from Astrid and Hiroshi, 15 strides from Volki and Wrenn, though from differing angles. Askari and Oorvid are in between Astrid, Hiroshi, and the approach. The two moving at Volki have stopped at about 10 strides, seeing her.

Askari: full wellness
Astrid: full wellness
Stones: 20
Hiroshi: full wellness
Javelins: 4
Oorvid: full wellness
Volki: full wellness
Wrenn: full wellness
Arrows: 15
41 marks: currency
Aluminum: 1 brick, ??

Ant Stingers: 4, {toxicity x2}
Bat Guano: 4 measures, ??
Bird Skulls: 5, ??
Rodent Tooth Necklace: 3, (Health +1)
Songbird Talisman: 1, ??
Spider Claws: 3 sets, ??
Spider Fangs: 3 sets, ??

Coal: 4 bricks, ??
Bloodstone: 1, (Health +1)
curious stones: 2, ??
Dark Green Stone: 1 brick, ??
Dull, Gray Stone: 1, ??

Flowers: 2 measures, ??
OOC: Everyone receives 5 DP. Everyone improves in Shimadow by 2% and Ansylin by 1%. State intentions and idle actions. Provide 1 random roll or reprint unused numbers.
 
Last edited:

Gigeaux

Explorer
Volki, knowing that she has been spotted, steps forward slightly.
“We will not be giving you anything we own. We will explore where we please. You do not own us.”
She knows all too well the folly of showing any kind of weakness in front of Shimadow raiders. She will keep her daggers ready, and gather electricity in them to aid in damage if she must fight.
roll 73
 
Last edited:

Askari tenses when he says “make an offer”, knowing that we can not do so without differing to his strength and showing weakness. He will remain where he is and stay silent, not wanting them to know how much he understands. He will follow the same course of action stated above.

91 (luck +78), 85, 66, 5
 

Astrid

Explorer
Astrid steps forward smirking confidently. "Well, I only caught part of what he said, but I am getting that "murder hobo" feelings from them." Astrid amber eye turns stormy as she slaps both of her hands together and sparks start to pop off them as she rubs them together. As she pulls them apart strands of lighting leap between them.

Astrids true goal is to spook them into leaving. She however is preparing to strike the first person who makes a threatening move toward her group. 79 and 60 (feel free to use these however you want)
 

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Posting for @Osthelerin Hawke
Hearing the number six, Hiroshi knows he is not hidden. He begins to walk forward to gain a better angle of view, around Oorvid, of the enemy. His pale skin is darkened unnaturally making his position difficult to positively identify even though his location is known, as shadows seem to gather about him. He holds one javelin in each hand, defensively. He does not speak nor indicate his understanding of the language.
OOC: 31
 


MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Volki... steps forward slightly...
Askari tenses...
Astrid steps forward... slaps both of her hands together and sparks...
... Hiroshi... begins to walk forward... holds one javelin in each hand...
Wrenn smiles... is poised and ready...
Astrid: 24(shade)
Hiroshi: 26(shade)
Volki: 23(camo)
Shimadow: 30 + 112(d100) = 142
Astrid: 26(perception) + 23(analysis) + 79(d100) = 128
Hiroshi: 22 + 27 + 31 = 80
Wrenn: 23 + 24 + 88 = 135
Askari: 22(observation) + 22(clarity) + 73(d100) = 117
Oorvid: 21 + 23 + 54 = 98
Volki: 22 + 23 + 98 = 143
Oorvid: 29(motility)
The man who had previously spoken snorts and sneers at the words of Volki, but then very visibly shakes his entire body at the display of Astrid. It is highly unlikely that any Shimadow has ever seen a Norikadian. Being of such youth and speaking some of the language, she is mistaken for a tall tribesman. The man yells has he moves to an aggressive action.

"Ack! Pissing on the wind! She's a kako'tadimoro'! Kill them or they will hunt us down and eat our hearts."
GM: "Pissing on the wind" is a vulgar Shimadow expression for bad luck. Kako'tadimoro' does not translate. It is the Shimadow term for those born with the talent to manipulate waylines. The Shimadow do not fear magic, but think of those born with the talent to be something other than people.

Readiness: Body + Motility + Combat + post-Combat
Speed: Mind + Knowledge + Learning + Athletics
Clarity: Essence + Cohesion + Mysticism + post-Mysticism except Aberrative
Askari: 22(readiness) + 23(speed) + 22(clarity) + 169(d100) = 236
Astrid: 22 + 26 + 24 + 60 = 132
Hiroshi: 23 + 21 + 25 + 31 = 100
Oorvid: 23 + 22 + 23 + 84 = 152 + 29(motility) = 181
Volki: 24 + 23 + 23 + 73 = 143
Wrenn: 22 + 24 + 27 + 88 = 161
Shimadow: 17 + 25 + 11 + 94 = 147
The raiding party moves to engage, each readying to throw a javelin, but fortune has blessed Askari with almost a full second of foreknowledge of such action. Everyone else reacts about equally.
OOC: Logistics: The approaching 4 are about 8 strides from Askari and Oorvid, making them about 25 strides from Astrid and Hiroshi, 11 strides from Volki and Wrenn, though from differing angles for all four. The two moving at Volki are about 8 strides from her.

Askari: full wellness
Astrid: full wellness
Stones: 20
Hiroshi: full wellness
Javelins: 4
Oorvid: full wellness
Volki: full wellness
Wrenn: full wellness
Arrows: 15
41 marks: currency
Aluminum: 1 brick, ??

Ant Stingers: 4, {toxicity x2}
Bat Guano: 4 measures, ??
Bird Skulls: 5, ??
Rodent Tooth Necklace: 3, (Health +1)
Songbird Talisman: 1, ??
Spider Claws: 3 sets, ??
Spider Fangs: 3 sets, ??

Coal: 4 bricks, ??
Bloodstone: 1, (Health +1)
curious stones: 2, ??
Dark Green Stone: 1 brick, ??
Dull, Gray Stone: 1, ??

Flowers: 2 measures, ??
OOC: Everyone receives 5 DP. Everyone improves in Shimadow by 2%. State combat intentions. Mystical and physical assaults happen simultaneously at the slower speed of either. Provide 2 random rolls or reprint unused numbers.
 
Last edited:

An Advertisement

Advertisement4

Top