log in or register to remove this ad

 

Some Stories Are True

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Askari... checking... studying... finding...
Volki... examine... making haste...
"Agreed..."
Hiroshi... offers... gathers...
This determines if a mineral, ore, plant, or piece of an animal is tuned to a particular proclivity of waylines, meaning that the item may be used to enhance the manipulation of Waylines or augment the developmental abilities of its bearer. For a positive result, the effectiveness must be equal to or exceed the sum of 60 and the multiple of rarity and 20. The numeric value for the effectiveness of this task is calculated by adding the Alchemy (Learning) task, the Analysis (Mysticism) task, and a random d100.

The specific proclivity may be determined by multiplying the rarity factor of the item by 10 days and then dividing by total effectiveness. This value, when expressed in hours, must be equal to or less than the character’s effective Will. Effective will is the sum of Mind, Will, Discipline, and Resolve. This task may not be performed in conjunction with any other active task but may be performed during any leisure activity, including sleeping. While sleeping, the divining Bender will dream of the nature of the item, waking briefly upon conclusion. Even while sleeping, analysis time, in hours, may not exceed the character’s effective Will.

Ecology: Mind + Learning + Knowledge
Analysis: Essence + Mysticism + Adhesion
Effectiveness: Alchemy + Analysis + d100 => 100
Analysis Time: 20 days / Effectiveness <= Will (when expressed in hours)

Askari: 22(alchemy) + 22(analysis) + 66(d100) = 110, success
Time: 20 / 110 = 5 hours, fail
Hiroshi: 21 + 29 + 71 = 121, success
Time: 20 / 121 = 4 hours, fail
Oorvid: 21 + 24 + 62 = 107, success
Time: 20 / 107 = 5 hours, fail
Volki: 22 + 23 + 49 = 94, fail
Late that evening or even into the night, each person feels an undeniable compulsion to keep the various collected trinkets and talismans, but no one can explain as to why, so they are aded to the already carried collection of items.

It rained some during the night and the morning breaks a bit damp with a low lying fog. The dampness brings a quiet to the forest that seems to have a calming effect. Only the myriad of songbirds are unaffected as the flit and sing as usual, maybe even more than usual.

After about three hours of slowly walking in a general northeasterly direction, sound of civilization reach the ears of the party before anything can be seen. Astrid notices a hidden sentry and makes a simple bird call that the party knows as halt. She whispers the direction of the sentry and everyone is able to locate him. Oorvid waves a greeting and holds up the woven basket of tubers.

22378E86-1EFA-4629-B37B-D3496D1BACBC.jpeg
The sentry steps from cover and motions with his head for the party to approach but does not lower his guard or unknock his arrow. He keeps his distance behind the party as everyone passes. This behavior is expected. When the party enters the tiny village proper, standing in the middle of a cleared area, speaking grandiosely to a group of seated villagers is none other than the Storyteller. Seeing the party, he waves and says in Spiofthest, "Dia duit, a phaisti." (Hello, children)

F3E4B011-3DA1-4C08-A9AB-F50FD055A31E.jpeg
Noticing Askari and Volki, who recognize the man from his past visits to the Ansylin village, he says, "Askari and Volki, vedo che ti sei iscritto, Buono." (I see you have joined. Good.)

The strange, elder Spiofthest motions for the party to come join him and then turns and continues to speak in the unfamiliar language of the local villagers. Parts of it sound similar to Centrin and Ansylin. With the Storyteller hosting conversations, he introduces the party to several members of the village of people he identifies as Rheini. He begins to use Shimadow when speaking to the party so that all can understand. The man demonstrates fluency in four different languages. It is uncanny. The people are grateful for the return of their food and offer to share the drink with them. The drink is rather good.

This village is centered around a collapsed pergola. Underneath, it is suspected to have a buried tunnel that would have connected it to the site occupied by the defeated Shimadow, which explains why they had traveled overland.
Askari: full wellness
Astrid: full wellness
Stones: 20
Hiroshi: full wellness
Javelins: 3, stone: 3, ularin
Oorvid: full wellness
Tunic: 70 - 1 - 1 = 68%
Volki: full wellness
Tunic: 50 - 2 = 48%
Wrenn: full wellness
Tunic: 60 - 1 = 59%
Arrows: 14
41 marks: currency
Aluminum: 1 brick, ??

Ant Stingers: 4, {toxicity x2}
Bandy Skull Talisman: 1, ??
Bat Guano: 4 measures, ??
Jay Skull Talisman: 1, ??
Rodent Tooth Necklace: 3, (Health +1)
Songbird Talisman: 1, ??
Spider Claws: 3 sets, ??
Spider Fangs: 3 sets, ??

Coal: 5 bricks, ??
Bloodstone: 1, (Health +1)
Dark Green Stone: 9, ??
Dull, Gray Stone: 1, ??
Emberstone: 1, ??
Slickstone: 1, ??
White stone: 3, ??

Dried Leaves: 1 measure, ??
Flowers: 2 measures, ??
OOC: Everyone receives 5 DP and acquires Rheini at 2%. State idle actions and communal intentions and provide 1 random roll.
 

log in or register to remove this ad


Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Wrenn, whom has been unusually quiet, and very contemplative, breaks his reverie at last upon seeing the Storyteller. He smiles at the man, and bids him greeting in the Shimadow language. The greeting translates loosely as "Good to see you again, wise one."

Wrenn will take the opportunity to explore the village, and to talk with anyone whom will listen. He is interested in learning the language of these people, because he foresees a time when he will probably want to return here.

Wrenn will also try to discover what sorts of bows these people employ, and compare them to his own. He will also inquire as to whether or not they have any extra arrows they'd be willing to sell.

Last but not least, Wrenn will walk out about 100 meters from the village to gather herbs and edible plants.

85
 

Askari will kind heartedly greet the Storyteller.

Vecchio pazzo. Dove in questa terra non stai vagando?

Crazy old man. Where in this land are you not wandering?

Askari will try and be social, communicating the best he can given the language barrier. If he can gain the help of the Storyteller as a translator, he will try and learn if these raids happen often; and if so, is it the same group every time?

When he see Wrenn go to gather herbs and plants, he will offer his assistance.

Being raised in the desert, I’m not yet very familiar with the edible plant of this region. If you don’t mind the help, I would love to learn.


97!! (+77 luck) = 174
 
Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Wrenn smiles, "I welcome the help. Come, I will show you what to look for."

Wrenn graciously accepts Askari's help, and begins showing him "the ropes" of woodland herbalism.

67
 

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Posting for @Osthelerin Hawke
Hiroshi waves to the Storyteller, "ut se habeat diem, Relator?"
"How fares the day, Storyteller?"
He shifts all of his javelins to his left hand and makes a universal gesture of peace. He shows the people the supplies the party has turned and listens intently as the Storyteller translates the inquiry of Askari about the raids. He points to the ularin head of a newly acquired javelin and attempts to ask if the Rheini people know anything of the metal.
OOC: 75
 


MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Wrenn... explore... what sorts of bows... extra arrows... about 100 (strides) ... gather...
Askari... try and learn if these raids... offer his assistance...
Hiroshi... points to the ularin head...
Oorvid is more curios as to how this village came to be centered around the collapsed pergola and if the Rheini are aware of any such other structures.

The Rheini people seem to be as open and benevolent as the Spiofthest and Centrin. Though Askari and Volki are not specifically familiar with these other tribes outside of this group of new friends, they find that the Rheini treat them like family, despite that Volki and Wrenn are Shimadow.

With the remarkable language skills of the Storyteller. The Rheini people tell the story of finding this flat rock and seeing a white elk standing upon it. This was taken as a fortuitous sign to stop wandering. The village had been bountiful and pleasant until the raids from the Shimadow Rovers started last season. They had been coming once a tenday, taking mostly food and leaving quickly. Pursuit proved fruitless, as they seemed to vanish from the forest.

The Storyteller explains to the party that the Rheini are normally suspicious of stone structures; and though having discovered the pergola to the southwest and another structure due south, they have not investigated them. They claim that the building to the south, about a three hour walk is haunted.

The Rheini are happy to speak at length about their bows and proficiency in archery. They are competent hunters. Their bows are made from thin rods of decreasing length bound together to form a stronger bow than the simple manufacture of the one carried by Wrenn. In exchange for the return of the lost materials, the people offer him a stranded bow. Disappointingly, they have no technological advancement with regard to metal and know nothing of the ularin. Their own arrows are stone tipped.

Oorvid offers a suggestion to his friends. "If I am correct, we cannot be more than a day or so from the Spiofthest village. We could arrange to establish trade between the two, like there is between the Spiofthests and the Centrins. Once we check out this "haunted" structure to the south, we could also see about trade with the village of Askari and our own."
This represents the desire to locate almost anything useful to the character, that may or may not be hidden from view or even require labor to collect, including anomalies, plants, minerals, ores, etc. Success is determined by meeting or exceeding the predetermined rank requirements of the tables found herein. The numeric value for the effectiveness of this task is calculated by adding the Prospecting (Learning) task, the Analysis (Mysticism) task, and a random d100.

Prospecting: Mind + Knowledge + Learning + Mercantile
Analysis: Essence + Adhesion + Mysticism +
Effectiveness: Prospecting + Analysis + d100
Askari: 22 + 22 + 174 = 218
Wrenn: 24 + 24 + 85 = 133
One older and a younger Rheini accompany Wrenn and Askari as they explore the area. Openness and a friendly nature does not mean foolhardy. Perhaps it is only curiosity but perhaps it is some degree of protectiveness that provokes the two to go along. Either way, once the nature of the exploration is discovered, the Rheini speak at length about various shrubs and vines. The language cannot be understood, but the nature of the subject seems obvious by the way that the various plants are touched. It is quickly determined that the villagers regularly harvest the useful plants in their vicinity.

Some compulsory force seems to direct the attention of Askari to a small patch of bright yellow mushrooms, almost hidden next to the trunk of a large tree. He does not know what draws him to them but after he picks some, he spits on his hands and wipes off his fingers on his clothing.
Askari: full wellness
Astrid: full wellness
Stones: 20
Hiroshi: full wellness
Javelins: 3, stone: 3, ularin
Oorvid: full wellness
Tunic: 70 - 1 - 1 = 68%
Volki: full wellness
Tunic: 50 - 2 = 48%
Wrenn: full wellness
Tunic: 60 - 1 = 59%
Arrows: 14
41 marks: currency
Aluminum: 1 brick, ??

Ant Stingers: 4, {toxicity x2}
Bandy Skull Talisman: 1, ??
Bat Guano: 4 measures, ??
Jay Skull Talisman: 1, ??
Rodent Tooth Necklace: 3, (Health +1)
Songbird Talisman: 1, ??
Spider Claws: 3 sets, ??
Spider Fangs: 3 sets, ??

Coal: 5 bricks, ??
Bloodstone: 1, (Health +1)
Dark Green Stone: 9, ??
Dull, Gray Stone: 1, ??
Emberstone: 1, ??
Slickstone: 1, ??
White stone: 3, ??

Dried Leaves: 1 measure, ??
Flowers: 2 measures, ??
OOC: Everyone receives 5 DP and improves in Rheini by 2%. State idle actions and communal intentions and provide 1 random roll.
 
Last edited:

Askari nods to Oorvids words

My people should be very open to trade.

Once he finds the mushrooms, he will ask Wrenn and, if needed, the Rheini through the Storyteller, if they’re familiar with them.

He will then check over his equipment and refill his water skins, in anticipation of heading to this “haunted” structure at daybreak.

68
 

Gigeaux

Villager
Volki is relieved that her worries of being misunderstood because she is Shimadow were for naught. She finally begins to truly enjoy her time speaking to and listening to this new language has spent a great deal of time in the village chatting with many new people to gain the best proficiency she can. Establishing new trade routes to different villages is an exciting prospect that she knows the elders of the village will be proud of them for. She decides to restock supplies for the upcoming trek to this “haunted” ruin. Then she does a bit of exploring around the village herself for anything that seems to call to her.
81
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Oorvid said:
Oorvid offers a suggestion to his friends: "If I am correct, we cannot be more than a day or so from the Spiofthest village. We could arrange to establish trade between the two, like there is between the Spiofthests and the Centrins. Once we check out this "haunted" structure to the south, we could also see about trade with the village of Askari and our own."

Wrenn nods, saying: "Yes, let's explore the haunted structure, and then make our way to the Spiofthest village afterwards."

75
 

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Askari nods... asks... if they’re familiar...
Wrenn shakes his head, having little knowledge of plants and none of mushrooms. The Rheini also shake their heads at the particularly bright yellow mushroom, indicating that none of them has come across such before. The Storyteller begins in Ansylin then switches to Rheini once he turns his head away from Askari and back to the villagers, as he spins his tale. "Those remind me of faerie lanterns. I used to find them when I was a child, but faerie lanterns are white and glow in the dark. I used to find them...

Having heard many of his stories in the past, if not this one in particular, the party has more interest in investigation than sitting idly. As the group is walking away and is about to re-enter the forest proper, the Storyteller turns and says in Shimadow, using a much different tone of voice. "Do not eat those. Do not even let them rest on your bare skin for long."

He then turns back to his story as if never having interrupted himself. One of the small children waves as the party moves away.
Volki... restock... exploring...
Wrenn nods...
Volki: 23(prospecting) + 23(analysis) + 81(d100) = 127
While wandering the woods around the village and along the chosen path back south, Volki is drawn to some haphazardly strewn rocks where she finds a white stone that feels wet to the touch. Later she comes across an understory tree, a measure of whose leaves she feels compelled to pick.
OOC: slickstone: 1, ??. leaves: 1 measure, ??

There is no Shimadow or Spiofthest word for "haunted" as these peoples have no natural superstition. The wording used by the Storyteller literally translates to an area possessed by an unknown malevolence. Astrid, Hiroshi, and Askari all come from cultures with a concept of religion and therefore have a better understanding of the superstitions of the Rheini. The differences in core beliefs among the party allows for some discussion during travel to better pique the interest of Oorvid, Volki, and Wrenn sans sarcassm.
Askari: 22(perception) + 22(analysis) + 68(d100) = 112
Astrid: 31 + 23 + 50 = 104
Hiroshi: 22 + 30 + 75 = 127
Oorvid: 21 + 26 + 70 = 117
Volki: 23 + 23 + 81 = 127
Wrenn: 23 + 24 + 75 = 113
During the three hours it takes to reach the desired destination, Askari and Astrid are each able to capture a groundhog, Wrenn and Oorvid are each able to take a forest hare, and Hiroshi and Volki, together, bring down a forest peccary. This can provide enough meat for 12 meals, if well handled.

After about two hours, Hiroshi first then Volki both find a lashed together stick figure hanging from the trees. As the party nears where the keep should be, many more of the figures are noticed and pointed out for all to see. These figures are likely the heart of the particular phobia of the Rheini, but Volki and Wrenn both assure everyone that these things were not constructed by any Shimadows. The keep has not yet been seen, which is not surprising as the trees are smaller here and there is more undergrowth.

D72A667F-5E51-4020-95BD-FF4D0AE51A39.jpeg


Askari: full wellness
Astrid: full wellness
Stones: 20
Hiroshi: full wellness
Javelins: 3, stone: 3, ularin
Oorvid: full wellness
Tunic: 70 - 1 - 1 = 68%
Volki: full wellness
Tunic: 50 - 2 = 48%
Wrenn: full wellness
Tunic: 60 - 1 = 59%
Arrows: 14
41 marks: currency
Aluminum: 1 brick, ??

Ant Stingers: 4, {toxicity x2}
Bandy Skull Talisman: 1, ??
Bat Guano: 4 measures, {heat x2}
Jay Skull Talisman: 1, ??
Rodent Tooth Necklace: 3, (Health +1)
Songbird Talisman: 1, ??
Spider Claws: 3 sets, ??
Spider Fangs: 3 sets, ??

Coal: 5 bricks, ??
Bloodstone: 1, (Health +1)
Dark Green Stone: 9, ??
Dull, Gray Stone: 1, ??
Emberstone: 1, ??
Slickstone: 1, ??
White stone: 3, ??

Dried Leaves: 1 measure, ??
Flowers: 2 measures, ??
OOC: Everyone receives 5 DP and improves in Rheini by 2%. Askari and Hiroshi improve by an additional 2% due to the closeness of their native languages. Everyone improves in Ansylin and Spiofthest by 2%. State idle actions and intentions and provide a random roll for each.

GM: As an oversight on my part for not including it in intra-party dialogue, Askari and Volki should each take a rodent tooth necklace from party inventory, until something better can be found.
 
Last edited:

Gigeaux

Villager
Being unsure of what these stick dolls are or why they are here makes Volki very uncomfortable and wary. “We should do our best to be quiet and unseen. We do not know what awaits us here.” Volki will stay alert to her surroundings to try to see any enemies before they can get the drop on us. She will also try to blend into the surroundings.
96+[luck48]=144, 63 [\spoiler]
 

Astrid

Explorer
Astrid starts to ready her sling, before realizing that it is no longer needed. She gets low to the ground and follows behind the others. She attempts to keep an eye out for danger. But remains silent the whole trip, letting the various thoughts flow through her mind.
78,85 idk if a second roll is needed, but it is here.
 

Askari will remain silent and continue to scan the area for potential danger. He will position himself to Oorvid’s left, in their forward position, in order to maximize the benefit of his buckler. Knowing it’s futility, he will not attempt to sneak.

88
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Wrenn's eyes narrow with discernment: "This is a warning. It's a marker, probably a territorial claim of some sort. If we proceed further, there's likely to be a fight. We should keep our wits about us."
Wrenn proceeds cautiously, bow drawn, arrow nocked, but no tension on the string.
71
 

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Posting for @Osthelerin Hawke
Hiroshi shifts back and forth on his feet, scanning the area. He comments quietly, "If the Shimadow we have twice encountered did not make these, I wonder who did, and I wonder if there is any connection to clans of Shimadow being at two of the other sites."
OOC: 40
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Wrenn offers, "Perhaps the Shimadow are at odds with a different tribe, for control of this region? But I wonder which tribe? My tribe was at odds with a tribe of Deviard, but I believe it was merely a circumstantial occurrence; they happened to be our nearest neighbors, and they wanted the same resources that we did. It's as simple as that. But there's no telling who made this thing."
 

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
... Volki... will stay alert... try to blend...
Astrid... keep an eye out for danger...
Askari... scan the area... position himself...
... Wrenn proceeds cautiously...
Hiroshi... comments...
Volki: 19(hide) + 25(camouflage) + 63 = 107
Time: 12 minutes
Askari: 22(observation) + 22(clarity) + 88(d100) = 132
Astrid: 32 + 24 + 78 = 134
Hiroshi: 21 + 28 + 40 = 89
Oorvid: 21 + 23 + 80 = 124
Volki: 24 + 25 + 144 = 193
Wrenn: 24 + 34 + 71 = 129
Volki's skin darkens to some degree and the color shifts noticeably, with some semblance of mimicking the surrounding. It comes as a bit of a surprise for even she did not realize she had such talent. Wrenn realizes that he can cause the same effect.

Standing still for about as long as everyone can stand to do so only results in the natural sounds of the forest. Whatever the purpose of the people sized twana, they have no effect on animals. Slowly moving forward with Askari and Oorvid taking the lead and Astrid and Wrenn taking opposite flanks, the party soon discovers the second Keep. This one is in a much more dilapidated stage than the previous one, as communicated for the benefit of Askari and Volki.

EB4DB837-0331-46F2-9170-8C275467A4A3.jpeg


With the trees being significantly smaller, more have invaded the standing structures. Coming in from the north, all of the main building seems to have collapsed except for the northwest corner and part of the back wall, which proves the back entrance to the structure is still intact. The walls and watch towers have all collapsed, except for the one on the northwest corner. The small quarry which was cut to provide the stones for the building has two fallen trees in it, which have been there for quite some time. The water is very dark, smells of soil, and lotus has grown around the fallen trees. A myriad of dragonflies, about the size of a person's arm, (yes this is a normal size in the game) hover over the surface, and never before seen creatures, later learned as frogs, jump from various perches to dive beneath the surface. Two colorful ducks take to flight.

During the cursory examination, no other people are seen or heard but Volki notices a footprint leading into the, still standing, back opening. The print is indicative of a male Faethrin but nothing more can be determined. As it is getting late, the party makes camp in order to have a fresh start in the morning.
Askari: full wellness
Astrid: full wellness
Stones: 20
Hiroshi: full wellness
Javelins: 3, stone: 3, ularin
Oorvid: full wellness
Tunic: 68
Volki: full wellness
Tunic: 50 - 2 = 48%
Wrenn: full wellness
Tunic: 59
Arrows: 14
41 marks: currency
Aluminum: 1 brick, ??

Ant Stingers: 4, {toxicity x2}
Bandy Skull Talisman: 1, ??
Bat Guano: 4 measures, {heat x2}
Jay Skull Talisman: 1, ??
Rodent Tooth Necklace: 3, (Health +1)
Songbird Talisman: 1, ??
Spider Claws: 3 sets, ??
Spider Fangs: 3 sets, ??

Coal: 5 bricks, ??
Bloodstone: 1, (Health +1)
Dark Green Stone: 9, ??
Dull, Gray Stone: 1, ??
Emberstone: 1, ??
Slickstone: 1, ??
White stone: 3, ??

Dried Leaves: 1 measure, ??
Flowers: 2 measures, ??
OOC: Everyone receives 5 DP. State idle actions and intentions and provide a random roll for each.
 
Last edited:

After making camp Askari will examine a couple of the trinkets that seem the most alluring.

Who ever lives here is using superstition to avoid a fight before it happens. They may be too small of a force to face the locals, they’re a peaceful people, or both. Or they’re neither, and just want to be left alone. However, small and peaceful doesn’t not mean they’re without teeth. The lack of tracks and abundance of wildlife indicates a large group doesn’t travel here often. We should contemplate our approach carefully. Also we’re likely being watched from that guard tower, at least that’s what I would do.

While relaxing and studying the trinkets, Askari will forgo his customary weapon check. He doesn’t want to broadcast that he’s here for a fight, but he stays alert for anything from the keep or the feeling of being watched.

18, 76
 

An Advertisement

Advertisement4

Top