Sorry, we'll have to amputate your arms. Oh, and your legs too.

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
Lots of feedback.

Alejandro said:

As a DM, I would examine the Dragonstar setting for ideas
In any case, I'd talk this situation over to find out why this is happening rather than what the bonuses are.

It's hapenning because he got grappled by a mechanical arm and shoved in an assembly machine. And because he failed all his escape artist check.

It could have hapenned to someone else. It could have happened to no one. The PCs could have found the switch before it was too late.

*shrug*

Why do you ask? Why does bad thing happens to PCs in your campaign?

And yeah, looking at Dragonstar is a good idea.

Originally posted by Xahn'TyrSo this machine was set up to build dwarf-sized limbs?

This machine was designed to size up the subject and outfit him in an appropriate fashion. Weirder things than a dwarf have been fully mechanized by this machine.

Originally posted by Umbran
10 minute reload times?

1 minute would do the trick, I'll tone it down.

Originally posted by Henry
Regarding all the magical disfiunction:

This was intended to be a balancing factor allowing me to give a little more power to the rest of the package.

Originally posted by Bret
Some things to think about :

If he has retractable claws, why no claw damage listing? Base it on Spiked Guantlets or something.

Make it clear what skill it takes to repair or improve the gadgets. I can go to any church for healing, but now if I break an arm what do I do?

Rather than giving a bonus to Jump, how about giving the 'Leap of Clouds' ability that a Monk gets. I don't see why you forbit the use of Jump spell with the limbs anyways.

Most rogues would rather have a bonus to Dex than Str. Would the inventer really have optimized for power over fine motor control?

How do the limbs work? Is it a magical or technological system that allows them to respond to the character's nervous system.

Some sort of ability to ignore pain in the limbs could be an interesting twist. 'I've shut down the pain recepters for now.'

In order;

Claw attack is a cool idea, altough the PC already have improved unarmed fighting so the benefit are not as great as you'd think.

Mend would do the trick most of the time. Mind you I wouldn't declare that the limbs have been damaged in most normal combat circumstances.

The bonus to jump is supernatural. That's why I don't want it to stack with the Jump spell. Leap of the cloud is an excellent idea.

Tough luck but as far as I'm concerned mechanical limb improve STR, not DEX. He'll have to find another item to improve dexterity (doesn't have to be gauntlets). Beside, that rogue had STR 10 so it's a welcome improvement. It also helps several athletic abilities such as jump and climb, which is useful for a rogue.

They are part magical, part mechanical. Relying solely on mechanical properties they don't work so well. Magic is required to make them perform at peak efficiency.

The ability to cut subdual damage by half is an abstraction of that character's greater capacity to withstand pain.

Originally posted by Vaxalon
Sounds like your DM is trying to run the "Machinations of Kambranex" adventure without benefit of the actual publication.

I am the DM. And this adventure was inspired from that particular adventure.

I swaped the halfiend necromancer for a mad gnome scientist. I modified the templates and the opposition. I used a a grouchy ermit that hapenned to be a 4th level fire giant monk instead of the ten headed fire hydra.

And I have overall increased the challenge of this adventure that was designed for four 9 level PCs to match a party of seven level 11 PCs.

DM prerogative and all that. I'm sure you can understand.

Originally posted by Zad
The thing I find a little odd about this is that it seems like you're trying to strong arm him into being the character you want him to be, rather than what the player wants him to be.

Sometime life is hard. Sometime a PC get killed. Sometime a PC lose all his limbs.

In only a few levels the party's cleric will be able to cast Regenerate so at worst the Dwarf will regain his natural limbs in 4 level if he can't manage it on his own before then.

Meanwhile, at this time and place in the campaign, there are no 15th level cleric available.

And I want to have fun, so there.

Last edited:

Voadam

Legend
other mechanics sources

I believe I saw oversized mechanical limbs in Fading Suns D20 (I only skimmed it at a store, I don't have it).

Also Atlas' Mechanomancy looks like a good sourcebook for this as well.

Lord Pendragon

First Post
Mal Malenkirk said:
Now I need to make the replacement limbs attractive enough to keep the PC from jumping at the first opportunity to regrow his lost limbs.

Okay, so you know he'll eventually have the opportunity to regrow the limbs one way or another (through the party cleric). What you seem to be asking is, how can I make him want to keep these mechanical limbs?

This is going to be based entirely on the player's RPing. If the player has more fun with the numeric side of D&D, then the suggested bonuses you're offering seem a very nice lure for him to keep the limbs.

If, on the other hand, he focuses on his character's personality, you may have a bigger problem. Quite simply, as you yourself stated, most people have a problem with becoming cyborgs. Should the player decide that his PC is one of these, then he's going to pass up all the great powers in the world to get those flesh-and-bone arms and legs back where they belong!

Myself, of the two characters I play, I could see one accepting a single mechanical arm, if its combat bonuses were impressive. (He's very focused on his life-goal---killing demons, and this would help that goal.) But not more. And the other PC wouldn't accept any mechanization at all.

So first I suggest you consider the dwarf in question. Will combat/skill bonuses be enough to get him to accept being a half-dwarf, half-machine? If not, then stick with what you've got, it's good enough to balance the items lost, and he'll be ditching the robo-limbs at the first opportunity anyway. If so, then I'd suggest dumping most of the antimagic penalties, keeping the rest as is, and leaving it at that.

The beauty of machinery: if it turns out that what you've given is too powerful, you can always have some of it break down. :D

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
Well, it seems to be working. The player like the extra abilities. They haven't proved overpowering. Everyone like the concept.

And the idea of a "cyborg" dwarf seems to mesh well with the rest of the party. Most players like the fact that this make their party even more wacky.

Let's see...

A dumb as a rock talking tiger.
A Water genasi priest who behaves like Che Guevara.
A loony corsair captain who couldn't find the North on a map and doesn't even know how many men he has on his ship.
An ogre who likes to paint and dance.
A druid with an intelligent wolf armor hellbent on killing any and all poacher.
A psychic warrior always on the lookout for a date.
The most agressive abjurer in recent memory.

Welcome onboard, mechanical dwarf!

Remove ads