• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spam Emails Pissing Me Off

IronWolf

blank
Not much of an increase here, maybe two or three a day. I split email duties between my GMail account and an account I host that I access via Thunderbird. It's junk mail controls work quite well after its initial training.

Psionicist

Explorer
If you use gmail there's a nice trick you can use to keep track of what site sold/gave your e-mail to spammers.

Whenever you give someone your e-mail address (except for friends), append +something right before the @. For example, when you sign up to The Dog Site, don't write pete@gmail.com, write pete+dogsite@gmail.com

The basic idea is that gmail will ignore everything you write between the + and the @ (except for spaces), so you can use text after the plus as a kind of tag or "watermark". If you recieve spam, you will know where it came from.

You can also use this when you post your e-mail on forums, to know where the e-mail harversters roam. Like this:

psionicist+enw@gmail.com

Try it! E-mail yourself but add a plus and some text before the @. You will recieve it.

Darth K'Trava

First Post
der_kluge said:
I agree with VB. With gmail, for the longest time, I got none at all. And then I figured out that some webcrawler had found my email address on my community band's homepage. Then I started getting all kinds of Nigerian scams - a couple a day for a while. I only get a few spams per day even today, though. It's really good.

If you want a gmail invite, let me know. I have a ton.

I've got a friend who got those in his inbox. One guy quit (at least for awhile) after he, for some dumb reason, wrote back and "threatened" to nuke the country if they sent him one more letter.... :]

:lol:

Darth K'Trava

First Post
Greylock said:
I exclusively use my Gmail for everything, but I still check my old Hotmail daily. Tends to be where spam shows up, but it's usually minimal. 2 or 3 a day. But this weekend, it rocketed to 25-30 a day.

So, to the OP, I concur. Weird weekend.

The spammers were off from work/school?

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Originally posted by IronWolf
Yeps. Them and the people who actually click those links in the spam and *buy* something from those emails....

If there's a lot of those people and they're getting the same emails I'm getting, apparently a lot of people desire to increase the size of their, uh, private regions, or they're very lonely people. Kinda feel sorry for them and their desperation for such things that they waste money on them.

Crothian

First Post
Dog_Moon2003 said:
If there's a lot of those people and they're getting the same emails I'm getting, apparently a lot of people desire to increase the size of their, uh, private regions, or they're very lonely people. Kinda feel sorry for them and their desperation for such things that they waste money on them.

Ever watch late night comercials and infomercials? It's not that dis similiar really.....

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads