Spelljammin' (5e PBP OOC) (Full)

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I had three character ideas and all of them have significant overlap with other people's characters, lol.

What's this about being part of the secret ship crew?
While I prefer for MOST of the characters to follow the idea that we're starting on a planet that is "Spelljammer-free", there IS a way off-world (there has to be, or we wouldn't ultimately be playing Spelljammer, would we?) So, if one player (two, MAX) wants to be part of that crew... It could be done.

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
So I'm leaning towards 2 characters: one is to repurpose my existing cleric into a level 5 One dnd character. I'll likely switch domains, as twilight is a bit overpowered (leaning towards knowledge or maybe Arcana).

The second character will depend on me having enough time, but it would be an echo knight, race tbd, again trying the On dnd rules.
Cheers,

SG

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Hey @FitzTheRuke,

So I’m wondering how you’ll handle spells. Will there by 2 separate lists (one standard 5e, and one for One DND)?

For example, if I wanted to do a play test character with a warlock dip, what happens to Eldritch blast? Similar comment for gishes & booming blade. Are these spells out for your game, or only if we attempt doing a play test character?

I’m playing with the concept of an echo knight warlock. Not stuck to it, but Eldridge blast is pretty central to warlocks.
Just theory crafting at this point & I appreciate your insights.
Cheers,

Sg

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Hey @FitzTheRuke,

So I’m wondering how you’ll handle spells. Will there by 2 separate lists (one standard 5e, and one for One DND)?

For example, if I wanted to do a play test character with a warlock dip, what happens to Eldritch blast? Similar comment for gishes & booming blade. Are these spells out for your game, or only if we attempt doing a play test character?

I’m playing with the concept of an echo knight warlock. Not stuck to it, but Eldridge blast is pretty central to warlocks.
Just theory crafting at this point & I appreciate your insights.
Cheers,

Sg

Seeing as we have nothing on spells (other than lists of what counts as arcane, divine, and primal), I'm not doing anything with spells. The only thing that "happens" to Eldritch Blast (playtest-wise) is that you can't crit with it.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I've been running the adventure with my IRL group. It's always nice to be able to play the same game a second time with a different group (it lets you fix your mistakes). I've made a few, but everyone is having a really good time so far, so you all should enjoy yourselves.

One of the biggest complaints I've read online about this adventure is that it's too railroady. Honestly, in PBP, a bit of a railroad is not a bad thing. The question "what do you want to do next" is a hard one for players to answer in PBP because it's very difficult to quickly discuss anything. A little back-and-forth is fine, but any kind of debate (even a friendly hashing out of details) almost never works out.

All this is to say: I think this game will work well in this format. It's also only about 30 hours of IRL play, so that should "only" take us what, a year or two? LOL. (I'm kidding but maybe I'm not kidding).

Remove ads