Spells that use an XP-Cost as a component

smilinggm

First Post
What happens when a powerfull spell casting creature such as dragon, demon, devil, titan, ect... Cast a spell requiring an experience point cost? As most of these creatures are NPC and do not have experience can they cast these spells? Is this a rule zero issue, or is their another mechanic that I am missing that allows such creatures to use these spells???

EOL

First Post
On page 7 of the Monster Manual it says that Spell-Like Abilities do not require an XP component. So the question is you consider the ability to cast spells like a sorcerer an easy way of defining a whole bunch of Spell-Like Abilities or are the spells exactly the same. Does a Dragon need Diamond Dust to cast Stone Skin?

The more I think about it, it's a broad enough question that there's got to be an answer somewhere, but in 10 minutes of looking the MM reference above was the best I could come up with.

Anybody else?

smilinggm

First Post
On page 9 of the MM it states:

SPELLS (Sp): Some creatures can cast arcane or divine spells just as members of a spell casting class can ( and can activate magic items accordingly). These creatures are subject to the same spell casting rules as characters are.
spellcasting creatures are not actuall members of a class unless thier entries say so, and they do not gain any class abilities, For example, a creature that caast arcane spells as a sorcerer can not acquire a familiar. A creature with access to cleric spells must prepare them in a normal manor and recieve no bonus spells.

tarkin

First Post
The mere fact that they are NPC's does not mean they have no experience.

Elminster is an NPC in the FrC, and I asssure you he has Experience Points.

Most DM's do not bother to figure out how exactly much XP their npc's have, but that does not mean they have no XP.

EOL

First Post
tarkin said:
The mere fact that they are NPC's does not mean they have no experience.

Elminster is an NPC in the FrC, and I asssure you he has Experience Points.

Most DM's do not bother to figure out how exactly much XP their npc's have, but that does not mean they have no XP.

Yes it's true Elminster has experience, but unless it's a classed dragon, dragon's do not have experience they have age.

A quasi-official rule (used for creating magic items): 1 XP = 5 gp. So if a dragon used wish to boost their Charisma by one point with wish (2500 XP?), then reduce their *useful* treasure by 5 times that amount in gp. By *useful* I mean things that the dragon can use in combat. I wouldn't want the PCs to get less reward for fighting a more challenging dragon.

smilinggm

First Post
Since dragons have age, would casting such spells age the dragon? And if so this would even make the dragon more powerfull. But then what of creatures that do not have age?

kreynolds

First Post
Sounds like a good question for Skip Williams. As it stands now, I don't allow anything to cast spells with an XP cost if they don't have the XP to spend. And since monsters don't have XP, well, there you go.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
smilinggm said:
Since dragons have age, would casting such spells age the dragon? And if so this would even make the dragon more powerfull. But then what of creatures that do not have age?

What spells age you in 3E?

Remove ads