Spring Attack and Charge?

kmdietri

Explorer
Simple question, probably asked and answered several times before.

Can you move after a charge if you have the spring attack feat?

Thanks

Nope.

A charge is a full-round action which lets you move up to twice your movement in a straight line and attack once.

Spring attack lets you make a single melee attack (a standard action) in the middle of a normal move (a move action).

The two are incompatible.

SRD said:
CHARGE
Charging is a special full-round action that allows you to move up to twice your speed and attack during the action. However, it carries tight restrictions on how you can move.

SRD said:
Benefit: When using the attack action with a melee weapon, you can move both before and after the attack, provided that your total distance moved is not greater than your speed.

How'd that work, RC?

SRD said:
Charge [Full][AoO: No]
Description: The character must move before attacking, not after. The character must move at least 10 feet and may move up to double base speed. All movement must be in a straight line, with no backing up allowed. The charge stops as soon as the character threatens the target. A character can't run past the target and attack from another direction.
After moving, the character may make a single melee attack or a bull rush. The character gets a +2 bonus on the attack roll. The character also suffers a -2 penalty to AC for 1 round.

and ...

SRD said:
Spring Attack [General]
Prerequisites: Dex 13+, Dodge, Mobility, base attack bonus +4 or higher.
Benefit: When using the attack action with a melee weapon, the character can move both before and after the attack, provided that the character's total distance moved is not greater than the character's speed. Moving in this way does not provoke an attack of opportunity from the defender the character attacks. The character can’t use this feat if the character is in heavy armor.

Note that, in 3.0, a standard action included a partial action and a move, and the attack action was a standard action.

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
There is ambiguity whether an attack action is part of a charge. Is an attack an attack action? Under the 3.0 rules as I read them I could see it either way. Action was a poorly defined term (and still is although less so) and inconsistently used. Just the phrasing of a standard action as a move action plus an attack action sounds a lot like 1=1+1, if you get my drift.

This had been discussed many times on these boards in the days of 3.0. It was not entirely uncontroversial, but allowing Charge with Spring Attack seemed to a very common ruling -- almost certainly the majority position.

Even with these lines - "The character must move before attacking, not after ... The charge stops as soon as the character threatens the target." - there was controversy?

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
So? Spring Attack as written in 3.0 did not actually require you to move before and after the attack. Look at the wording changes from 3.0 to 3.5 carefully and consider why they made those changes.

mikebr99

Explorer
Ridley's Cohort said:
So? Spring Attack as written in 3.0 did not actually require you to move before and after the attack. Look at the wording changes from 3.0 to 3.5 carefully and consider why they made those changes.
Heh... yeah, it was just a way to charge without the AoO.

Mike

Ridley's Cohort said:

AHAH!!!

I see what you're saying now. You were saying that, in 3.0, you could charge your opponent while spring attacking (and thus negating AoOs), stop at the appropriate place, and attack.

I *thought* you were saying that, in 3.0, you could charge your opponent while spring attacking (and thus negating AoOs), stop at the appropriate place, attack, and keep moving.

I see what you're saying, now.

Remove ads