• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spring Attacks for Clerics

chengarino

First Post
I have a Cleric/Rogue who may qualify for Spring Attack in the future. I've seen Spring Attack used quite well to 'hit and run' for other players.

QUESTION: Can I 'spring attack' a touch attack with a spell I cast in the prior round? (ie, inflict __ wounds?)

QUESTION: If so, can i "spring attack' a 'Cure __ wounds' as well?

If one works (ie, inflict), then the other (ie, cure) should work as well. However, the PHB (v3.5) was pretty explicit that it must be a 'melee attack.' And while 'inflict' is a melee touch attack. Does 'cure' count as well in this case?

chengarino

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
I would certainly allow it. I'm not sure of the official rule, but I would say go for it.

Of course, you lose a benefit of Spring Attack if you're just doing a heal on someone - since the avoidance of AoO's provided by SA only applies to the person you're "attacking" in this case the recipient of the heal. But you do get to get in and get out relatively safely...

HomerJS

First Post
I did this same thign with a cleric. Although it wasnt for healing purposes. The DM said that it was ok because it just seemed right. Although you had to have the spell on your hand to do it. SO what i would do if i wasnt hasted was cast the round before then do a drive by heal. If i was hasted i would do it all in that same round.

I played a cleric assassin and would kill people with maximized inflict spells.

Well, the feat says you need a melee weapon. However, it is implied that if you are holding a charge you are considered armed and thus do not provoke an AoO when you touch someone.

I would rule that you can cast the spell in advance and use the spring attack feat to deliver it.

Spring Attack to heal your friends wouldn't be terribly useful, since it only protects you from AoOs from your target, and not everyone else -- though staying out of melee range before/after is still of value, of course. OTOH, Spring Attacking undead with cure spells would be a pretty good cleric tactic.

I'd allow it in either case.

marshaldwm

First Post
It really sounds like a good idea for a house feat to me. Spring attack clearly states it is an attack, so attack spells qualify, but actually this is a bit closer to Shot on the Run to my thinking. Move, shoot, and move again.

IMC I would allow a spellcster to take this feat with usual prerequisites that allows them to ignore AoOs from one opponents for movememt. Could be quite useful especially for an Eldrich Knight.

chengarino

First Post
When healing may provoke AoO

Kid Charlemagne said:
Of course, you lose a benefit of Spring Attack if you're just doing a heal on someone - since the avoidance of AoO's provided by SA only applies to the person you're "attacking" in this case the recipient of the heal. But you do get to get in and get out relatively safely...

I was thinking when you're trying to 'heal' a Dominated peer. Or, trying to 'inflict' a fellow Shadow Dancer's Shadow to keep it alive. Both are non-offensive activities, but requiring a melee touch attack with a held charge.

chengarino

Darklone

Just don't forget to cast the cure X spell the round before spontaneously as full round action...

If you want to spring there, cast it, spring back, you have to have it prepared.

Otherwise, it's ok. Fear HARM.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Just don't forget to cast the cure X spell the round before spontaneously as full round action...

Only if you're applying metamagic.

If you want to spring there, cast it, spring back, you have to have it prepared.

Not quite. You can't spring, cast, and spring. Spring Attack only works with the Attack Action, not the Cast a Spell action. You have to cast the spell and hold the charge; then next round (or the same round, with 3.0 Haste, 3.5 Shapechange-into-a-Choker, or a Quickened (and prepared) spell), you can use Spring Attack to spring in, deliver the spell as a touch attack, and spring out.

-Hyp.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads