Stalker0's Acheron Power Recharge System (New Version 1.1!!)

Stalker0

Legend
There has been a good deal of talk lately about adding the ability to recharge powers into the game. After the success of my Obsidian System, my group asked me to create a system for recharging powers. These were the tenants that the system should be founded on:

1) The system should have a lot of player control over how its used, but still contain a random element.
2) The system should encourage players to get back powers at "the right time." Aka, during the fights that are the longest and most threatening to the group.
3) The math of the system should be clean and easy for our math impaired group members.
4) The system should not trade current resources to gain powers back. The idea is to lengthen the adventuring day.
5) The system should fit both players that like to blow their powers quickly and players that are more frugal with them.

With these in mind, I created the Acheron System, which I present below. My group is currently using it our game as a playtest, so any comments are welcome.

Acheron Power Recharge System

Acquiring Recharge Points
Players acquire 1 recharge point during the following:
1) At the beginning of a session.
2) After each encounter.
3) Points reset to 1 after an extended rest.
4) Particularly Heroic Actions

Spending Recharge Points

Action: NONE, performed even while stunned or unconscious.
Roll a d20, and consult the table. You can always choose to get something lower on the table if you wish.
DC 15: Extra Encounter Power
DC 20: Extra Encounter Power, can spend a healing surge.
DC 25: Extra Daily

Player Options:

Spending Multiple Points:
If a player spends multiple recharge points at the same time, he gains a +5 bonus on the check for each additional point spent. In addition, if he spends 3 or more points, he receives a +1 to his next attack roll or a +1 to all defenses until the end of his next turn.

Recharge Action: This action consumes the player’s standard, move, and minor action. If he spends a recharge point, he can take 10 on the recharge roll. The benefit must be used immediately after the recharge action.

Aid Another: In addition to the normal benefits, a player can choose to give the target of his action one of his recharge points.

Death’s Door: A player can spend a recharge point to gain a +5 to a death saving throw.

Heroic Moments
Whenever a heroic moment occurs, all players receive a +5 bonus to their next recharge roll. This bonus stacks with other heroic moments, should they happen at the same time. The bonus lasts until the next recharge roll or until the end of the player’s next turn.
1) The first time in a combat a party member drops below 0.
2) Whenever a party member dies.
3) The first time in a combat a solo monster becomes bloodied.
4) Whenever an elite or solo monster is defeated.
5) Other moments, at the Dm’s discretion.

Examples:Jarvin the fighter has 3 recharge points. He pommels a creature with crushing blow. After the attack, Jarvin decides he might need that beauty again, so he spends 2 recharge points. He makes a d20 roll with a +5 bonus. He rolls a 15 (total 20). He now has another use of crushing blow, and can spend a healing surge to heal himself.

Skilly McAwesome and his team are in combat with a group of orcs, and things aren't going so well. His cleric buddy uses aid another to give Skilly a +2 bonus to his next attack roll. At the same time, the cleric decides to give Skilly one his recharge points. Skilly already had 2 points, so now he has 3. He decides he wants to recharge his bait and switch encounter power, but at the same time also wants a big attack roll to make sure it hits. He decides to spend all 3 of his recharge points. He gains a d20 roll with a +10 bonus, and he gains a +1 to his next attack roll. Skilly rolls...and gets a 3 (total of 13). Poor Skilly, but he decides to use a sly flourish with his nice +3 attack bonus. Alas, Skilly misses again. Dejected he leaves the combat to go beat up on a skill challenge.

Marvin the Wizard has 1 recharge point. Suddenly, his fighter brother Jarvin is knocked unconscious. The party is in trouble, and its time to step up. This is a heroic moment, so everyone gains a +5 to their next recharge roll, as long as they use it by the end of their next turn. Marvin's turn comes up, and he decides to focus and gain the arcane power he needs to save his brother. He takes the recharge action. He makes a recharge roll with a +5 for the heroic moment. He takes 10 and get 15, and recovers his icy rays power.

Update Log 1.0 -> 1.1

1) Lowered DC of Daily recharge to 25 (from 30).
2) Added ability to spend healing surge to heal at DC 25
3) Reducing the number of healing points someone could spend on death's door to 1.

Last edited:

Fredrik Svanberg

First Post
Looks like a bunch of solid rules, as usual. I don't like the random element though. I would be pretty irritated if I had saved up points all day long to use in the big final fight of the dungeon only to see them all wasted due to a bad roll. It seems to me like making attack rolls is enough randomness and I'm not sure why this system needs more of it (except that your players asked for it).

Can't you just hand out points as described and then people can trade them in: 2 recharge points to recharge an encounter power, 3 for a daily, or something like that?

Ketolos

First Post
You are adressing last issue we had with 4ed, thx:)
I will thought this through and if we try this in our game, I'd report.

StAlda

Explorer
This smells too much of action points. Why not just modify the action point subsystem? (which at present I don't use in my campaign - it doesn't seem integrated well)

FireLance

Legend
I wonder why you decided to base the system off a d20 instead of the "standard" d6 recharge die.

Using a d6 messes with the basic probabilities a little (the system you describe is actually more closely modeled with a d4), but it allows you to make a recharge point mean an actual +1 to the roll instead of converting it to a +5 on a d20 roll.

I particularly like the idea of heroic moments. I think it would be possible to keep the game fairly close to its baseline power level by allowing characters to spend a feat to gain the ability to recharge an encounter power on a :6: each time a specific heroic moment is encountered. Example: the feat Defend the Fallen might allow a character to recharge an encounter power if he rolls a :6: the first time each encounter a party member drops below 0 hp.

Stalker0

Legend
It seems to me like making attack rolls is enough randomness and I'm not sure why this system needs more of it (except that your players asked for it).

Can't you just hand out points as described and then people can trade them in: 2 recharge points to recharge an encounter power, 3 for a daily, or something like that?

As you repeated, the reason for the randomness was it was requested. There is no problem whatsoever with simply going with a straight swap if that's what you prefer, though the trade off would be more like 3 points for an encounter, 6 points for a daily, etc. Some groups will like the excitement of random rolls, others will not. Fortunately the baseline is flexible enough that you can change the model without too much trouble.

However, keep in mind that a cautious player can take out the randomness even in this system. If he uses the recharge action and spends 2 recharge points, he automatically gets an encounter power back. If he just flat out spends 4 points, then he will auto succeed on the roll.

This smells too much of action points. Why not just modify the action point subsystem? (which at present I don't use in my campaign - it doesn't seem integrated well)

I did not want to mess with the core system mechanics. First of all, I did not want players trading regular resources for new ones. If I made it where powers were regained when action points where spent, then likely either they would always use their action points for powers, or never use them. Instead, I created a point with a different value than an action point. This also allows me the versatility for phase II, which is to balance weak powers with recharge point bonuses.

I wonder why you decided to base the system off a d20 instead of the "standard" d6 recharge die.

Using a d6 messes with the basic probabilities a little (the system you describe is actually more closely modeled with a d4), but it allows you to make a recharge point mean an actual +1 to the roll instead of converting it to a +5 on a d20 roll.

I did look at the d6 idea for a while, but decided against it. First, as you stated, the probability changes. Spending 1 point to roll a d6 is weaker than rolling a d20 with a +5.

Second, players generally have the d20 out and rolling because they are making attacks with it, etc. So if they decide to spend recharge points they can just keep rolling the die as opposed to swapping out with a d6 (and I am continually amazed how long it takes people to choose a different die).

Third, the d20 offers me more granularity in the future. I can create feats that give +1 or +2 to recharge rolls, powers that do the same etc. With a d6, it would be a +1 or nothing, and that increase on a +1 may be too strong to put in a feat or power.

Last edited:

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
I like the overall framework. I do tend to agree that these should be functions of action points, but Wizards has already decided that doing anything interesting with APs requires paragon paths.

Specific suggestions:

Regaining Daily Powers
When making a recharge roll, the player can opt to take a -15 to his recharge roll. If he succeeds, he can gain an additional use of one daily power instead.
-15 seems pretty harsh (or maybe it just bothers my sense of mathematical aesthetics). I would phrase this as: DC 20 for an Encounter power, DC 30 for a Daily power.

Spending 3 or more points
If a player spends 3 or more points on one recharge roll, he gains an additional boost of power. The player receives a +1 bonus to his next attack roll or to all defenses. The benefit lasts until the end of his next turn.
This seems like an unnecessary wrinkle. What is the purpose of this rule? Consolation prize for someone who spent a bunch of points and didn't succeed? I think there may be simpler ways of achieving that (although I can't think of them off the top of my head... maybe if you fail the check, it only costs 1 point, even if you had "wagered" multiple points).

The Recharge Action
A player can choose to use the recharge action during an encounter to regain mental or physical power. The recharge action consumes a player’s standard, move, and minor action for the round. After performing the recharge action, the player can Take 10 on the next recharge roll. The player must use the benefit immediately after taking the recharge action.
I don't like the idea of full-round actions in general. I think it might be better to phrase this as a Standard action that allows you to make a recharge check and Take 10 on it. This conflicts somewhat with the random chance element; it may be better to just give the person a +5 bonus instead of allowing them to Take 10.

On Death’s Door
If a player is unconscious and not stabilized, he can spend a recharge point to add a +5 bonus to his death saving throw, with an additional +5 if more recharge points are spent.
This will encourage people to hoard their recharge points "just in case" which I think is the opposite of what you want -- in dangerous encounters, people should be spending their points in the hopes of preempting the death saving throws.

Heroic Moments
This is my favorite part of the system. I could see the Heroic Moments system applying to all sorts of things beyond power recharge. For example, maybe the +5 bonus also applies to your next Aid Another roll, your next saving throw, or something like that.

Finally: What about powers like the Healing Word that are "Encounter" but multiple times per encounter? When are they eligible for recharge and how many do you get back? What about weirdo contradictory powers like Lay On Hands that are "Minor action, but only once per round; at-will, but only 3 times per day?"

-- 77IM

StAlda

Explorer
I did look at the d6 idea for a while, but decided against it. First, as you stated, the probability changes. Spending 1 point to roll a d6 is weaker than rolling a d20 with a +5.
QUOTE]

I disagree, when rolling one die there are no probabilities. But you could have a recharge point giving you a 6,5 recharge; 2 recharge points 6,5,4,3 success and 3 guaranteed success (granted, 1 point easier than you proposed).

I am still dubious of yet another "score" to manage. Why not allow characters to roll a d6 after every encounter, if it is a 6 they can recharge a daily/utility. There should be a charge for this, maybe a Feat as was suggested, maybe a healing surge.

SBalrog

First Post
I'm using something similar, but tied it to the action point system:

When using an action point, roll a d6, recharge an encounter power if the result is :5: :6:.
And I added a feat which allowed them to recharge an encounter on :4: :5:, and a daily on :6:.
Still not sure if it will be over- / underpowered, since I'm testing it for the first time on the game next tuesday.

keterys

First Post
Interesting - I'd consider branching it into two styles: one random, one not. I'm not at all interested in adding a random system to my game, but I find this concept interesting otherwise.

Anyhow, things I'd probably want to change:
* resetting to 1 recharge with an extended rest - no need to have _another_ possible reason to encourage people to rest
* penalty for getting a daily - should just be a higher DC instead of a penalty
* aid another point transfer - no need to encourage people to alpha strike one individual instead of just having fun with their own abilities
* recharge action - while cinematic, feels too limiting. Something like a 'minor or move action on a turn in which you have used no encounter or daily powers or moved from your square' would at least cover my 'and you can do this while still having fun'

Remove ads