Star Trek Picard extended Comic-Con trailer

CapnZapp

Legend
You hold people to opinions in your regular life?

I hold people to promises. I hold them to stated facts. I hold them to their logic. I don't hold people to "I liked/disliked this". As far as I am concerned, you can change your preferences on the borg Queen seven times in a day, and I wouldn't care.

The Shakespearean phrase is, "there is no accounting for taste".
Still posting to "win" I see.

Still not exposing any personal feelings, I see.

Whatever. Best of luck.

MarkB

Legend
I wonder if she is some sort of clone of the original Borg Queen that we met, the one that turned Picard into Locutus. The Borg released her "into the wild" to acquire the modicum of individuality that other queens had prior to assimilation, but something happened and here we are.

My guess is that the Romulans have somehow got their hands on a disabled Borg cube, and are slowly de-Borgifying the crew, then keeping them in a holding facility, perhaps with the intention of later rehabilitating them, or perhaps simply as a potential intelligence asset.

The girl is almost certainly one of these former Borg, and an escapee. I think she could be one, or both, of two things - either a Borg queen or not-deprogrammed Borg drone who still poses the threat of assimilation if she regains her memories, or else simply someone who's seen too much of what the Romulans are planning to do with the Borg tech they're reverse-engineering, and who must therefore be silenced before she can tell others.

It would not surprise me if she is the latter, but the Romulans are pretending that she is the former in order to goad others into hunting her with lethal force.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Still posting to "win" I see.

I don't think this is game with winners and losers. It's just a discussion.

Still not exposing any personal feelings, I see.

Actually, the exact opposite. My personal feeling is that the question of like/don't like is way, way less interesting than considering the structural and presentation needs that led to her introduction.

How about you stop throwing shade, and just let people talk about aspects of things they want to, hm?

Janx

Hero
Was that ever in doubt?
I read some speculation that the end of the trailer is on a holodeck. That would also explain why he doesn't want the game to end as that would likely mean the end of the program.

Yes. Because they put B4 together in Nemesis and uploaded Data's memories into him. In the comic, he became Data.

It's no surprise they didn't follow the comic, but it is a surprise that they disassembled a person and put them in a drawer.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Truly implacable threats aren't interesting. If they are truly implacable, they kill your protagonists and win and the story ends

An antagonist isn't interesting if you cannot understand it. A human must be able to grasp the antagonist's motivations and plans, or the antagonist is a force of nature - and the antagonist in a natural disaster film isn't the interesting part. Once you can understand an antagonist, they are humanized, and thus have flaws, and can be beaten.

I don't know if I agree with this. With the Borg, it's perfectly within a human's capability to understand that they are a collective with no individual power structure. So how do you beat an enemy like that? Perhaps by disrupting their ability to intercommunicate, forcing intense disarray. Or maybe by introducing a virus that disrupts that communication and allows individuality to return, causing a civil war where one side is equal in technology and adaption to the other and the Borg take themselves out.

There are ways to keep them as the non-individualistic foe that they started out as and eventually defeat them.

My biggest complaint with Voyager was how that show trivialized the Borg. I mean, "Hey, let's take a trip to the Borg homeworld." and "Oops! We just accidentally destroyed a half dozen Borg Cubes." basically invalidated the Borg as this major enemy that is far in advance of the Federation.

CapnZapp

Legend
I don't think this is game with winners and losers. It's just a discussion.

Actually, the exact opposite. My personal feeling is that the question of like/don't like is way, way less interesting than considering the structural and presentation needs that led to her introduction.

How about you stop throwing shade, and just let people talk about aspects of things they want to, hm?
It was you who took my dislike for the Borg Queen and went with:

Hypothetical, and effectively a non-falsifiable "no true Scotsman", as you can simply identify anyone who doesn't or can't do it the way you want it as not a "better writer".
My response was to point out how your responses are only what the writers think or what dramatic license "requires" and to ask you to instead tell me what you personally think.

Why? Because I don't care for your implication that the BQ was inevitable or had to happen. (And I don't care for the way you try to logically prove it either instead of confronting me with "I, Umbran, think it had to happen")

If you're like me, and detest them taking the easy way out, why not forget about what "must be" and instead focus on the instances of truly great writing, where these things either do not happen, or are executed well enough to win over the audience.

Alternatively, you could own up to engaging with me because you actually *like* the idea of a BQ.

Under no circumstances am I throwing shade. I'm just not interested in making this a game of discussion-winning.

Last edited:

CapnZapp

Legend
I don't know if I agree with this. With the Borg, it's perfectly within a human's capability to understand that they are a collective with no individual power structure. So how do you beat an enemy like that? Perhaps by disrupting their ability to intercommunicate, forcing intense disarray. Or maybe by introducing a virus that disrupts that communication and allows individuality to return, causing a civil war where one side is equal in technology and adaption to the other and the Borg take themselves out.

There are ways to keep them as the non-individualistic foe that they started out as and eventually defeat them.

My biggest complaint with Voyager was how that show trivialized the Borg. I mean, "Hey, let's take a trip to the Borg homeworld." and "Oops! We just accidentally destroyed a half dozen Borg Cubes." basically invalidated the Borg as this major enemy that is far in advance of the Federation.
Yes, of course. Thank you.

My biggest worry is that the story for this show will be just terrible. They promoted this show with the premise that it would be a deep dive into Picard's character, but the first thing I see in the trailer is lots of action and fighting. I'm afraid it will be a mess. The inclusion of the Borg makes my worries only worse. We've already seen the Borg a ton of time, including on other Star Trek shows, and in the Star Trek movies (which were terrible). We don't need more of the Borg; we need new ideas. But this trailer suggests that they are all out of those.

My biggest worry is that the story for this show will be just terrible. They promoted this show with the premise that it would be a deep dive into Picard's character, but the first thing I see in the trailer is lots of action and fighting. I'm afraid it will be a mess. The inclusion of the Borg makes my worries only worse. We've already seen the Borg a ton of time, including on other Star Trek shows, and in the Star Trek movies (which were terrible). We don't need more of the Borg; we need new ideas. But this trailer suggests that they are all out of those.

The first thing you see in the trailer is not lots of action and fighting, unless you deliberately closed your eyes.

The first you see is a landscape, presumably Picard's vineyard, then a switch to the building of his vineyard, then someone (probably Picard) closing a door, someone opening a bedroom window, Picard looking out of a window, a container containing a TNG era combadge being opened, Picard standing contemplatively, a storage containing a Data/B4/Lore type damaged Android body opening and Picard with a second person standing over it, then some kind of flying drone flying over a vineyard, someone walking through a vineyard with a dog, Picard with his combadge, something I can't quite make out, a woman walking through the rain walking past a storefront with pictures of PIcard, same woman with a building in the background taking back her hood, PIcard's face, the woman talking to Picard, a modern-looking building with people in Starfleet uniforms walking around and Picard looking toward it, Picard talking to an Admiral, a fight scene with someone shooting at someone else, closeup on Picard's face, someone fighting in hand-to-hand-combat, with someone beaming away, Picard talking in front of a fireplace, some ships approaching a reddish planet, someone or something lying on a bed, Picard entering a room, Captain Picard day memorabilia, some kind of prison, people in what looks like prisoner garbs, a Vulcan or Romulan looking woman talking to Picard, Picard walking through a sparse landscape, Picard in front of some place where people seem to be transporting, a few shots of characters on a bridge, Picard holing up his hands, a woman with a gun, a Vulcan or Romulan talking with Picard, Picard, the Romulan/VUlcan and a woman walking, a Vulcan/Romulan talking with Picard, a shot of a bridge including Picard on it, a closeup of PIcard probably on that bridge, Picard walking through a village, Picard walking with some woman through a futuristic looking room, a door opening for someone, the woman sitting on a bed, a Vulcanoid man talking to a (probably Vulcanoid) woman, some shots of Picard, someone warning someone, a closeup of the face of the woman from the beginning, the shot of a damaged or being built Borg Cube, Picard preparing a drink, Seven of Nine talking to Picard, brief glimplse at what might bhe borg cube, the bridge we've seen before, some Vulcanoid manhandling Picard, a borg drone on a medbed or something, Sven of Nine, two people running, Picard holding a phaser, the woman from the beginning turning around, Picard saying engage, someone like Data in a poker game with Picard.

Not only is action and fighting not the first thing you see in the trailer, there is also not "lots of it" to see overall.

Maybe the only non-action scenes are in the trailer, and the entire rest of the series will be Picard's new crew beating up everyone, but it's not that likely.

MarkB

Legend
Also, trailers, especially for long-running series, always focus on both the more exciting elements and the more familiar elements, because that's what brings people in. You can include a two-second glimpse of a well-beloved character or a familiar foe, and it immediately sells to the audience because they already have context and familiarity with it. Put in a two-second - or even ten-second - glimpse of something entirely new and unfamiliar, and it won't mean anything to anybody.

Remove ads