Star Trek Picard SPOILERS thread

Kaodi

Hero
So it looks like the Commodore Oh is very likely to be an actual Vulcan and not a deep cover Romulan, given that she can mind meld. That certainly leaves Zhat Vash being a pre-split organization on the table, doesn't it?

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
So it looks like the Commodore Oh is very likely to be an actual Vulcan and not a deep cover Romulan, given that she can mind meld. That certainly leaves Zhat Vash being a pre-split organization on the table, doesn't it?
Yes, she is most definitely a Vulcan, but that was a very FORCED Mind Meld. And that approach was very undisciplined for a Vulcan to do.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Loved that episode! Though the aging process makes me sad. Both Frakes and Sirtis are approaching 70. I guess that’s one of the themes of this show.

MarkB

Legend
There was a nice reference in the episode which I missed until my second viewing. When Riker activates the house defences, he mentions that they'd been having some trouble with the Kzinti recently. They're a race of warlike catfolk created by Larry Niven as part of his Known Space fictional setting. They became a canonical race in Star Trek after Niven adapted one of his short stories as a script for an episode of the Star trek animated series.

Hussar

Legend
Loved that episode! Though the aging process makes me sad. Both Frakes and Sirtis are approaching 70. I guess that’s one of the themes of this show.

Yeah, it's kinda sobering to watch these actors, who I grew up with, now. I ADORED the back and forth between Riker and Picard - as equals now. Riker was perfectly willing to call Picard out on his naughty word, as was Troi and this really hit home how much time had past in the show. A completely different dynamic - much more like adult children dealing with a parent than the old power dynamic of captain and crew.

That was some damn fine writing.

On the mind meld thing - I'm really fuzzy now, but, wasn't there something in ST Enterprise when they were first sort of exploring the whole mind meld thing, about how there was a faction of Vulcans who were ostracized for practicing mind melds but then being a bit forceful about it? Been a long time. But, there is something rattling around in the back of my brain where there have been Vulcans who have been kinda mind rapey about using mind melds.

Or is this just something my brain is fabricating. Stupid brain. Must punish it with more alcohol.

Ryujin

Legend
Yeah, it's kinda sobering to watch these actors, who I grew up with, now. I ADORED the back and forth between Riker and Picard - as equals now. Riker was perfectly willing to call Picard out on his naughty word, as was Troi and this really hit home how much time had past in the show. A completely different dynamic - much more like adult children dealing with a parent than the old power dynamic of captain and crew.

That was some damn fine writing.

On the mind meld thing - I'm really fuzzy now, but, wasn't there something in ST Enterprise when they were first sort of exploring the whole mind meld thing, about how there was a faction of Vulcans who were ostracized for practicing mind melds but then being a bit forceful about it? Been a long time. But, there is something rattling around in the back of my brain where there have been Vulcans who have been kinda mind rapey about using mind melds.

Or is this just something my brain is fabricating. Stupid brain. Must punish it with more alcohol.

In ST:Enterprise they came across members of the mind melding minority who were also experimenting with emotion. During this episode T'Pol was 'mentally raped' by a mind melder that she had been befriending. This is how she acquires Pa'nar Syndrome, which plays a part in later episodes.

Yes, she is most definitely a Vulcan, but that was a very FORCED Mind Meld. And that approach was very undisciplined for a Vulcan to do.
Considering that they couldn't really communicate before to that level, can we say Spock had the Horta's consent to perform a mind meld? And we can probably all agree that Valeris was not consenting when Spock conducted a mind meld to get information about the anti-Klingon Alliance conspiracy. Heck, even McCoy didn't express consent to get Spock's katra in his head. The Vulcan Maquis also didn't have consent when she tried to extract information from Dukat.
I suppose Spock might have always been an undisciplined Vulcan, but it could also be that post-ENT era Vulcans are a lot less coy in using mind melds when it suites their agenda.

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
Okay, now siting the Preview and a possible arc for the rest of show.

FYI--I am not aware to the true history of the Vulcan and Romulan spilt.

This is Secret Hideout bent and only their bent for their storyline.

Just from Preview for Esp # 8---the implication being placed is--AI life was part of the Vulcan and Romulan culture, and something went wrong. Hence the Romulans leaving Vulcan.

From the TOS series, Kirk and crew came across a small cabal of Andriods.

Soong's possible 2nd, 3rd or 4th descendant from the previous Soong seen in Archer's Enterprise, continues the work of human augmentation that leads to android development. Doctor Bashir benefitted from that research before it got banned.

Now going to STD, the preview implies that AI development was already well advanced before the Sundering on Vulcan. So that around 2,000 years plus.

From First Contact/Film--The Borg Queen states the genesis of their race, started as flesh beings first that gradually evolved with technology, which lead to the mixture of organic with artificial life, which grew over thousands of centuries exact number is not known, but the word Thousands does outstrips the Vulcan and Romulan story attempt from SH, to insert that Borg was born in the Beta quadrant first, the Borg are from the Delta Quadrant

Where does the Control AI from STD fits in, don't have a clue.

Well, just got wind of a possible leak...that someone is not what they are aboard that small freighter, will wait to see if that comes true.

Last edited:

Remove ads