• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Star Trek Picard SPOILERS thread

Mallus

Legend
I’m really going to miss Michael Chabon writing the emo Butlerian Jihad into Star Trek. And so help me god if they actually let Agnes turn herself in at Starbase 12...

Also, another precision hit with a photon f-bomb.

MarkB

Legend
So, is it just me, or have they basically ripped off taken heavy inspiration from the story of Mass Effect? Total ban on true AI, cycle of extinction, and the Admonition is basically the Prothean beacon.

Ryujin

Legend
So, is it just me, or have they basically ripped off taken heavy inspiration from the story of Mass Effect? Total ban on true AI, cycle of extinction, and the Admonition is basically the Prothean beacon.

Wouldn't be the first time. (I believe this is currently on appeal)

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
All the different characters in Picard have given me a stupid idea and I just can't let it go.

Star Trek D&D.

No, not a Star Trek RPG in the Star Trek universe. I've done that dozens of times.

D&D in a D&D setting with all of the humanoids replaced with Star Trek's aliens, with the United Federation and the Klingon and Romulan Empires and the ever-looming threat of the Borg.

I call dibs on playing the Romulan Monk: "Please, my friends. Choose to live."

Hussar

Legend

Well, to be totally fair, it's not like this idea is new to SF. Mass Effect hardly invented the concept.

Dire Bare

Legend
All the different characters in Picard have given me a stupid idea and I just can't let it go.

Star Trek D&D.

No, not a Star Trek RPG in the Star Trek universe. I've done that dozens of times.

D&D in a D&D setting with all of the humanoids replaced with Star Trek's aliens, with the United Federation and the Klingon and Romulan Empires and the ever-looming threat of the Borg.

I call dibs on playing the Romulan Monk: "Please, my friends. Choose to live."

Great minds think alike . . . although from opposite directions.

I've been mulling over similar ideas for a campaign recently myself. Merging Star Trek with D&D, with shades of Spelljammer, DragonStar, and Star Wars mixed in. A future D&D universe, replacing the Star Trek aliens with the D&D races and including magic in the mix. In a sense, a chance to "fix" some issues I have with Star Trek, or just explain away some of the more fantastical elements into being, well, fantastical!

Transporters aren't based on science, but magical teleportation. Medical and communication tech could also actually be magical. Command division is red, Science division is blue, Security is gold . . . Magic division is, green? Should there be separate Arcane, Divine, Primal, and Psionic divisions?

Kaodi

Hero
I was thinking Mass Effect too (though I have yet to actually play the games, ugh) . But one man's rip-off is another man's CIRCLE OF LIIIIIFE...!

Star Trek has had a massive influence on sci-fi, and perhaps it is only natural in turn that it becomes influenced by its own creations.

Remove ads