Star Trek Picard SPOILERS thread

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Great minds think alike . . . although from opposite directions.

I've been mulling over similar ideas for a campaign recently myself. Merging Star Trek with D&D, with shades of Spelljammer, DragonStar, and Star Wars mixed in. A future D&D universe, replacing the Star Trek aliens with the D&D races and including magic in the mix. In a sense, a chance to "fix" some issues I have with Star Trek, or just explain away some of the more fantastical elements into being, well, fantastical!

Transporters aren't based on science, but magical teleportation. Medical and communication tech could also actually be magical. Command division is red, Science division is blue, Security is gold . . . Magic division is, green? Should there be separate Arcane, Divine, Primal, and Psionic divisions?
Starfinder!

Dire Bare

Legend
Starfinder!

You could definitely use the Starfinder rules . . . maybe even the setting itself. I'm not super familiar with Starfinder, is the base setting have a Star Trek like Federation? I seem to remember the Pact Worlds being a loose organization, not that one couldn't modify or tweak the setting to run a more Trek-like campaign, I'm sure.

Hussar

Legend
The only real problem with Star Trek as an RPG is when you get to the ships part. This is a problem that D&D has with any sort of "organization" campaign where you have one captain (leader of some sort) and then everyone has a specific job. Which can result in one or more players basically sitting on their hands for long periods of time. It's a problem I've often wrestled with when trying to do naval campaigns in D&D.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The only real problem with Star Trek as an RPG is when you get to the ships part. This is a problem that D&D has with any sort of "organization" campaign where you have one captain (leader of some sort) and then everyone has a specific job. Which can result in one or more players basically sitting on their hands for long periods of time. It's a problem I've often wrestled with when trying to do naval campaigns in D&D.
You don’t make a player the captain. You make the captain an NPC who gives them missions. And then they form a standard adventuring party. The captain is just the questgiver.

Hussar

Legend
You don’t make a player the captain. You make the captain an NPC who gives them missions. And then they form a standard adventuring party. The captain is just the questgiver.

Yeah, that's one way to do it. Although, that can run into issues when the players aren't 100% behind the notion of the DM telling them what to do. Not insurmountable, I'm not saying that. But, it can get a bit ... frictiony?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Yeah, that's one way to do it. Although, that can run into issues when the players aren't 100% behind the notion of the DM telling them what to do. Not insurmountable, I'm not saying that. But, it can get a bit ... frictiony?
Nearly all RPGs have questgivers. It might be the captain, or a shadowy figure in the bar, or the Duke, or an old crone with a weird prophecy. It’s just a narrative role to hand out missions. It’s not the GM telling them what to do (other than “please play the adventure I have prepared”).

But if having rank rankles (heh!), you let the players control the NPC captain. Whatever it is they want to do, the captain ordered that.

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
Hallo---Went looking for Deep Space 12, the non-canon reference has it near the Briar Patch, which is located in the Beta Quadrant of Federation Space. Not too far from the Klingon border. But very far, so far from the Romulan space.

It is implied it is near the Romulan border in STP. Not seeing it.

Went looking for the Synchs' supposedly homeworld---possible location is the Delta Quadrant which is Borg domain in that area 9 hours to a Transwarp Hub of the Borg, 25 Light Years to the planet in 15 minutes.

Unless the Fed Squadron at DS 12, has transwarp abilities, they are not getting there quick, they first have to find the Borg Transit Hub location and initialize the sequence to enter it.

If the Romulan fleet has the same Transwarp capabilities, assuming if they do, they should be there first...if having normal warp---it is pure long hours of travel.

But Secret Hideout has a bad habit of using Fuzzy math they don't care for time of travel actually

And finally, the massive ejection of the Borg into cold space...remember the First Contact/Film...they can survive it without hinderance.

Possible outcome for the near ending. Romulans finally show up, will the Borg Ship do the same? Fed Squadron from DS 12 a very far stretch as of now, as the Picard crew has gone the possible opposite direction into deeper space. Where they informed by Picard before entering that TransHub, *there are 9 hours of travel to give them the opporunity to do so before Transwarping

Last edited:

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Two things regarding Deep Space 12:

1) They could have moved it. The Briar Patch might have lost significance.
2) They could have changed the numbers as they built stations further out.

Another thing: Star Trek often has them set course for X, arrive after commercials. Sometimes days have passed, but they don't bother showing you that the crew went to sleep, ate, got back up, went to the bathroom, etc. They assume that you can figure out that stuff happens off-camera.

What I'm trying to say (and it's not to dispute that they can play fast-and-loose with travel time) is that most of the time you can assume that a lot of time passes that we're not aware of.

... the Borg should survive in space, though. You're sure right about that. The whole Borg sequence reminded me of why I stopped watching Walking Dead. Every time you think the zombies are gonna rise up and cause mayhem, they write them off quickly. I hate that stuff. I mean, they could have had the Borg drive the Romulans off the Cube - the Romulans left anyway. The audience would have been "Yay, Borg!" instead of "Huh, wait, what? Bummer."

Even if they wanted to write off the Drones (so as not to leave Seven with an army) they could have had the Romulans retaliate with some kind of EM Pulse pre-arranged revenge thing, after having the Borg kill a bunch of them. Seven could be protected by the Queen's chamber. That's what I would have done, anyway.

MarkB

Legend
And finally, the massive ejection of the Borg into cold space...remember the First Contact/Film...they can survive it without hinderance.
They're capable of adapting themselves to survive in space. The Borg on the Artifact had only just been configured into a collective, and they were all exposed to vacuum simultaneously, so there wasn't time for them to adapt.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
They're capable of adapting themselves to survive in space. The Borg on the Artifact had only just been configured into a collective, and they were all exposed to vacuum simultaneously, so there wasn't time for them to adapt.

That's true. Borg die quickly until they activate adapters to the task at hand. (Or the weapons of their foes). The ones in First Contact were well aware that they were going to space-walk, IIRC. While these ones were barely activated.

Still, I'd have let Seven kick a little more Romulan butt before wiping out her army, if it were me.

Remove ads