Star Trek Picard SPOILERS thread

MarkB

Legend
That's true. Borg die quickly until they activate adapters to the task at hand. (Or the weapons of their foes). The ones in First Contact were well aware that they were going to space-walk, IIRC. While these ones were barely activated.
Yep - if they were adapted by default to survive in space, Borg cubes wouldn't be configured to carry a breathable atmosphere.

Still, I'd have let Seven kick a little more Romulan butt before wiping out her army, if it were me.
On that, I am in full agreement.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Yep - if they were adapted by default to survive in space, Borg cubes wouldn't be configured to carry a breathable atmosphere.

Actually, it might have been the Romulan's life support that killed them - they "awoke" to life support, having their systems adapt immediately to those conditions. Then they were nearly instantly sucked into space. Borg tech adapts quickly, but not instantly. We've seen them die many times before they adapt to some pretty basic situations.

Hussar

Legend
And, as far as adding in a fight scene, we might be running upside budgeting concerns. Adding in the money for what would be an actually fairly pointless fight - since we're all agreeing that 7 of 9 isn't going to end with a fully functioning Cube complete with Borg army - this is the cheaper way to go.

It also plays very strongly into the narrative that the Borg are victims. They didn't get to fight back at all. They were just killed without a second thought. It does serve to "humanize" them to some degree. If they were fighting back, then the Romans would have some justification for killing them. But just flat out gas chambering the Borg drones is pretty hard to justify.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
And, as far as adding in a fight scene, we might be running upside budgeting concerns. Adding in the money for what would be an actually fairly pointless fight - since we're all agreeing that 7 of 9 isn't going to end with a fully functioning Cube complete with Borg army - this is the cheaper way to go.

It also plays very strongly into the narrative that the Borg are victims. They didn't get to fight back at all. They were just killed without a second thought. It does serve to "humanize" them to some degree. If they were fighting back, then the Romans would have some justification for killing them. But just flat out gas chambering the Borg drones is pretty hard to justify.

You're right, of course. Still, it would've been cool.

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
That's true. Borg die quickly until they activate adapters to the task at hand. (Or the weapons of their foes). The ones in First Contact were well aware that they were going to space-walk, IIRC. While these ones were barely activated.

Still, I'd have let Seven kick a little more Romulan butt before wiping out her army, if it were me.

You might get your wish...

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
Well, surprises abound. Let's see, A Soong lives, twins exist, the Borg shows up and get grounded. And the Vulcan mind meld gets the answers.

Exposition dump per the usual...

Andddd...a total MASS EFFECT vibe. Jeez!!

Last edited:

Vael

Legend
The synthetic teaching herself the Vulcan mind meld...yeah. Really bothered me...

Data performed a Vulcan nerve pinch, so it's not unprecedented. But I wouldn't have done it that way. Instead, given that Soong is working on a way to transfer his consciousness into a synthetic body, have them perform a memory scan on Jurati to experience the Admonition.

Data performed a Vulcan nerve pinch, so it's not unprecedented. But I wouldn't have done it that way. Instead, given that Soong is working on a way to transfer his consciousness into a synthetic body, have them perform a memory scan on Jurati to experience the Admonition.
The nerve pinch is somewhat feasible. The mind meld; Vulcans are kind of telepathic. How can a full synthetic (not a human-seeming one like Soji) acquire the biologic/telepathic capability to mind meld?

And I caught the consciousness transfer thing. Does anyone want to take bets that this is how Picard is going to get past his little death sentence?

Vael

Legend
The nerve pinch is somewhat feasible. The mind meld; Vulcans are kind of telepathic. How can a full synthetic (not a human-seeming one like Soji) acquire the biologic/telepathic capability to mind meld?

The Vulcan Nerve Pinch is sometimes considered a partially telepathic technique too. And, if telepathy is not magic, then it's not out bounds to have it technologically replicatable. As I said, I'm not a fan of the show doing it, but I don't think it's indefensible, especially since we know it's going to be one-off, like using transporters to recreate a fountain of youth.

Remove ads