Star Trek Picard SPOILERS thread

Dire Bare

Legend
Just at a glance, the Fed side, it looks to be same ship model in mass. checking now with a froze cut. yupe...it is all the same ships or the majority. No Prime Trek ships, this is all of one Secret Hideout model. There are two direct views that shows, the same ship greatly duplicated, from the starboard and aft view.

View attachment 120226View attachment 120222View attachment 120223

Thanks! Riker did say something along the lines of "I've got a brand new super cool ship, and hundreds more just like it!" (or words to that effect)

"Secret Hideout" model? Que?

Ryujin

Legend
Just at a glance, the Fed side, it looks to be same ship model in mass. checking now with a froze cut. yupe...it is all the same ships or the majority. No Prime Trek ships, this is all of one Secret Hideout model. There are two direct views that shows, the same ship greatly duplicated, from the starboard and aft view.

Been thinking about that and someone may have mentioned this, up-thread, but the lack of "Prime" ships probably has something to do with IP rights. The old Romulan Warbird that was in an earlier episode was from ST:TOS, so CBS property. Other IP may be tied to Paramount and therefore either unusable in the CBS owned series, or licensing may be too costly.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Been thinking about that and someone may have mentioned this, up-thread, but the lack of "Prime" ships probably has something to do with IP rights. The old Romulan Warbird that was in an earlier episode was from ST:TOS, so CBS property. Other IP may be tied to Paramount and therefore either unusable in the CBS owned series, or licensing may be too costly.
I doubt it. More likely it’s just easier to just replicate one ship a thousand times.

Kaodi

Hero
I was satisfied by the finale, and there is some definite Good Place vibes going on there with Data's final goodbye.

I hope in the second season they go more into the philosophy of what happened to Picard though. Picard 1.0 is, in a very real sense, dead (Is that why he appears to be there with Data at the end?). Though maybe the show will not see it that way considering how what transporters do has always been glossed over a bit. But it would, I think, be very, very interesting if Thomas Riker makes an appearance in Season 2 as a foil of sorts to Picard 2.0.

Janx

Hero
I liked it. The sad scenes made me sad, especially for the young romulan. Yes, many of us smelled that Picard would end up in that body template once they started playing up his illness.

Quibbles:
they never once refer to his illness by what they called it in All Good Things

Mass quantities of cookie cutter ships. Truthseeker's conspiracy theory ship-rental constraints that I see no evidence of with google aside, a single star ship can destroy a planet. They don't need 200+. And Wolf 359 managed to be shot with many models. That particular bit was like a child learning FX, let's do more!

XB's left behind. Given that half the story was how nobody accomodated the XB's and their rights, seems like they just left them behind, again. Classic Trek writing, riding off into the sunset to never never check on Seti-Alpha V again.

Picard's death and resurrection too close together. We just got the emotional punch to open the wetworks, and then cut scene and he's in a simulation and we know he's coming back. Never undo what you just did in the immediate previous scene. Keep the crying. Show the remaining team, picking up pieces and saying goodbyes and fade out. Cut to Data saying something so Picard can say, "I never wanted it to end." Roll credits. MoFos will be cheering and cursing the season gods that they knew season 2 was greenlit but they killed him anyway and he's back and have to wait a year! That news of resurrection is more powerful the more scenes we let happen without Picard.

That last part I care about more deeply. This season had excellent "OMG, they did that." moments but fizzled their load on his resurrection.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Yeah, that should have been one Romulan ship and one Starfleet ship. The copy/paste spam wasn’t needed and kinda took away from the drama of the situation. Same guy who pasted 30,000 star destroyers into Rise of Skywalker? Less is almost always more.

Kaodi

Hero
Also, I wonder: is Narissa really dead? I hope not. I mean, she would have had it coming, I suppose. But she was saved from Elnor by a tactical transporter and there was a huge fleet of Romulan vessels present when she fell into the black. And it was good, I think, that Seven was melancholy about having killed her. But I felt like we were just getting to see the real person through the cracks in her "cartoonishly evil" shell. I would probably bet on both her and Narek being back in season 2.

Also, I wonder: is Narissa really dead? I hope not. I mean, she would have had it coming, I suppose. But she was saved from Elnor by a tactical transporter and there was a huge fleet of Romulan vessels present when she fell into the black. And it was good, I think, that Seven was melancholy about having killed her. But I felt like we were just getting to see the real person through the cracks in her "cartoonishly evil" shell. I would probably bet on both her and Narek being back in season 2.

I think it would be wonderfully poetic if she was assimilated

Kaodi

Hero
That just occurred to me in the kitchen and I came back to post about it, :D . Seems you beat me to the punch, but yeah, that is the other big possibility. A whole season with the Borg and no assimilations? And they even had a no assimiliation sign? Seems suspicious, ; ) . Though what happened with her aunt may put a twist on that. Her aunt nearly could not handle the Premonition and yet disabled a Borg Cube somehow with it (and least that was implied). Narissa, who handled it better, might be even more powerful or disruptive as a Borg. Maybe a new kind of queen, :D .

Edit: One who initiates a Borg v. Mecha-Cthulhu war?

Truth Seeker

Adventurer

I will repeat to what I read or heard about that. There was a fellow in CBS, that was helping push Prime Trek connectivy with SH and Kurtzman. Any PT IP had to be paid for, when the closure of unification with CBS and Paramount was coming about, that CBS exec person was fired before the December 7, 2019 union. Kurtzman in turn, made the move to curtail any further expenditures to any further use of Prime Trek IP materials. It was made mention also, that Paramount let the Movie IP side license expired last July, and it was not renewed. There is just the Tv and anime left now.

Yes, CBS was collecting a fee for PRIME TREK IP use from SH, cause they are a outside 3rd party user. And CBS in turn, made the effort very effectively to shutdown the talk of a 25% variant different look, cause they didn't want Vendors who were very leery about investing into the license for merchandising. But Vendors were already keen to the situation and sat out, CBS was not happy and threaten some actions, but that fizzled out.

Due to the massive legal contract, Amazon and Netflix had to go arbitration to settle on ending whatever contract they made with CBS and SH. STD was paid for up to Season 3 plus the 2 anime shows and Picard is unknown.

Now, with the current stock value declining of late, there is now word, that unification might not go through now, compounding this even further with COVID 19 effecting business at all levels, and the loose rules on tax breaks in Los Angeles for the tv industry word is that CBS/SH sought a 20 million dollars incentive, without additional merch capital to add extra revenue, the investor side is starting to dry up.

The money to make the show*s*, is simply not there anymore.

Last edited:

Remove ads