• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Star Trek Picard SPOILERS thread

Ryujin

Legend
The whole license thing just seems silly: they use and reference like 100 things from The Next Generation, so they must be allowed to use that. So why no TNG ships? Or even just a fleet of a bunch of different types? Was this the Star Trek Clone War fleet or something? Like Starfleet finally made a massive fleet of dedicated battleships...you know to promote peace?

So is everyone in Star Trek now immortal? Just transfer your mind into a synth? Guess everyone forgot that was done way back on TNG season 2. (oh and it was done in the OS too).

So...wait was Data alive for like the last 20 years then? Um...why did they just never make him a new body then? Were they..er..using the Data box to make all the synthitics?

Seems like a fair bit of resources went into making that golem. Enough that Soong had lost his chance at immortality, when Picard was transferred into it.

Data's data was stored in a simulation, similar to the one they trapped Moriarty in during TNG. They made it pretty plain that Data was unique and that they failed miserably at copying his consciousness into a Soong style positronic brain, when they tried to copy it into B4. Seems that there was no way to restore him.

Last edited:

Dire Bare

Legend
But Picard is set in the Original, Real timeline. The show has tons of stuff from The Next Generation. Characters and ships and items, all from TNG and Voyager. So they must be ''allowed" to use them.

Visual IP is treated differently than referencing a thing. But still, you are right. We see the original Enterprise and (I think) the original uniforms in some of the flashback scenes.

I appreciate Truthseeker's share on the IP shenanigans going on, and I believe him, but . . . it is all rather silly from a "normal" person's point-of-view, if not from a profits-before-story corporate point-of-view. It seems to be a situation of studio executives having silly disputes over who gets to make more money and who doesn't, putting their concerns over profits before the story itself. Making shows like ST: Picard (and the other shows, and the movies) does require a lot of money, but if they would just stop pissing with each other and put the story first, the profits would follow. Art before money creates beloved franchises, money before art destroys them.

Dire Bare

Legend
Seems like a fair bit of resources went into making that golem. Enough that Soong had lost his chance at immortality, when Picard was transferred into it.

Data's data was stored in a simulation, similar to the one they trapped Moriarty in during TNG. They made it pretty plain that Data was unique and that they failed miserably at copying his consciousness into a Soong style positronic brain, when they tried to copy it into B4. Seems that there was no way to restore him.

Soong "losing" his chance of becoming a synthetic and Data never being downloaded into a new body at some point is plot by technobabble. Which, is a fine, long-standing Trek tradition!

Ryujin

Legend
But Picard is set in the Original, Real timeline. The show has tons of stuff from The Next Generation. Characters and ships and items, all from TNG and Voyager. So they must be ''allowed" to use them.

I think that things are still somewhat murky as to who owns what IP but the TV series stuff from TOS and TNG would likely be fair game for use by CBS.

Dire Bare

Legend
Picard's death and resurrection too close together. We just got the emotional punch to open the wetworks, and then cut scene and he's in a simulation and we know he's coming back. Never undo what you just did in the immediate previous scene. Keep the crying. Show the remaining team, picking up pieces and saying goodbyes and fade out. Cut to Data saying something so Picard can say, "I never wanted it to end." Roll credits. MoFos will be cheering and cursing the season gods that they knew season 2 was greenlit but they killed him anyway and he's back and have to wait a year! That news of resurrection is more powerful the more scenes we let happen without Picard.

I agree. I'm fine with Picard dying and being resurrected into a synth body, but it was too quick. Season finale cliffhangers are a Trek tradition, and hinting at his resurrection without fully showing it might have made a better ending. Heck, there you have your Season 2 "A Plot", the "Search for Picard"!

Dire Bare

Legend
That ship is directly a Secret Hideout IP, not Paramount or CBS. And there are two variants of the ship, there are two different nacelles looks, but the main body is the same.

I wasn't sure what "Secret Hideout" was. So, I gave in and did the hard work of a Google-search . . . it's Kurtzmann's (the showrunner) production company in charge of the Trek television revival. Reading the entry for the company on Memory Alpha (Trek wiki site), was like reading your post above . . . my eyes glazed over with all the corporate silliness. I'm sure what Secret Hideout is was explained upthread somewhere . . .

FitzTheRuke

Legend
My wife is convinced that Arik Soong cloned himself, eventually to Noonian Soong who cloned himself to Alton Soong. It explains why they all look exactly like Brent Spiner (that's not how children work), have minds nearly the same as Arik (though maybe they've been slowly getting nicer), and why it was cannon that Noonian and his wife had NO real children. (They didn't.)

Janx

Hero
I wasn't sure what "Secret Hideout" was. So, I gave in and did the hard work of a Google-search . . . it's Kurtzmann's (the showrunner) production company in charge of the Trek television revival. Reading the entry for the company on Memory Alpha (Trek wiki site), was like reading your post above . . . my eyes glazed over with all the corporate silliness. I'm sure what Secret Hideout is was explained upthread somewhere . . .
they're the guys CBS hired to make star trek.

Truthseeker pimps a conspiracy theory that Secret Hideout has to pay licensing fees everytime they show anything from "old trek" which I see no evidence of, and in fact, the Memory Core article says the Star Trek merchandising and licensing office is on Secret Hideouts offices. Which wouldn't happen if they were treated as outsiders and had to pay per usage of anything from old trek.

the idea seems to spawn from an art directive to make the Enterprise different by 21% (or whatever) from originals during the planning of the first Abrams Trek movie which was about making it look cool, but somehow fans ran off with it as some kind of conspiracy that CBS/Paramount wasn't letting them use original trek art of any kind.

Remove ads