Star Trek Picard SPOILERS thread

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
Thanks! Riker did say something along the lines of "I've got a brand new super cool ship, and hundreds more just like it!" (or words to that effect)

"Secret Hideout" model? Que?

That ship is directly a Secret Hideout IP, not Paramount or CBS. And there are two variants of the ship, there are two different nacelles looks, but the main body is the same.

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
Just to add the ending and return of Picard.

Picard technically is dead...they just copied his brainwave patterns to the 'golem' And Data finally got something else besides his request to be ended. The aging of him, to me represent his soul, after nearly 40 years of life...he got it and his humanity.

Last edited:

Ryujin

Legend
I was satisfied by the finale, and there is some definite Good Place vibes going on there with Data's final goodbye.

I hope in the second season they go more into the philosophy of what happened to Picard though. Picard 1.0 is, in a very real sense, dead (Is that why he appears to be there with Data at the end?). Though maybe the show will not see it that way considering how what transporters do has always been glossed over a bit. But it would, I think, be very, very interesting if Thomas Riker makes an appearance in Season 2 as a foil of sorts to Picard 2.0.

There was an episode of the original "Outer Limits" that dealt with the transporter thing. An alien species made contact with Earth and provided inter planetary transportation tech. Go to a remote location and return, and you had to kill the remote body that still existed after you'd 'left.'

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
There was an episode of the original "Outer Limits" that dealt with the transporter thing. An alien species made contact with Earth and provided inter planetary transportation tech. Go to a remote location and return, and you had to kill the remote body that still existed after you'd 'left.'

In Alter Carbon, that is the same method, but the body provided is called a 'Sleeve' and the storage of the persona ID is held in a stack.

Janx

Hero
And another thing. Narissa.

She got dogpiled by borg and I thought I saw a transporter flash. She should have died, captured or been back with the fleet. None of this skulking around crap. Are the XB's so disconnected from the tech that they don't have sensors throughout the cube to detect skulking? Who the heck wasn't put on skulkcheck duty?

Oh, another thing. Who the frak has multiple targeting programs for destroying a stationary settlement on a planet, let alone FIVE of them. Her correct line should have been "Destroy the target." She spent too many words telling 200+ ships with their own captains who've mastered the obvious, delaying the inevitable.

Ryujin

Legend
In Alter Carbon, that is the same method, but the body provided is called a 'Sleeve' and the storage of the persona ID is held in a stack.

In "Altered Carbon" they grow the "sleeves" and then slot in the "stack", with the wearer's persona in it. In the episode of "The Outer Limits" the body was essentially photocopied. The body on the sending side had to be destroyed, consciousness intact.

Last edited:

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
And another thing. Narissa.

She got dogpiled by borg and I thought I saw a transporter flash. She should have died, captured or been back with the fleet. None of this skulking around crap. Are the XB's so disconnected from the tech that they don't have sensors throughout the cube to detect skulking? Who the heck wasn't put on skulkcheck duty?

Oh, another thing. Who the frak has multiple targeting programs for destroying a stationary settlement on a planet, let alone FIVE of them. Her correct line should have been "Destroy the target." She spent too many words telling 200+ ships with their own captains who've mastered the obvious, delaying the inevitable.

Most of their outward sensors were removed, but they still do have that mental link of Hive mind sharing, as Picard showed in First Contact. And yes that was a emergency transporter, as it turned out, was within the Cube, not a out to ship one.

MarkB

Legend
I hope in the second season they go more into the philosophy of what happened to Picard though. Picard 1.0 is, in a very real sense, dead (Is that why he appears to be there with Data at the end?). Though maybe the show will not see it that way considering how what transporters do has always been glossed over a bit. But it would, I think, be very, very interesting if Thomas Riker makes an appearance in Season 2 as a foil of sorts to Picard 2.0.
Some of the later TNG episodes clarify that transporters don't work that way. The body is not deleted and copied, instead the physical matter is transformed into a 'matter stream' that can be transmitted like a beam of energy - but importantly, the interrelationships between the composite components of the body, and even the body's consciousness itself, remain intact throughout the process.

The whole license thing just seems silly: they use and reference like 100 things from The Next Generation, so they must be allowed to use that. So why no TNG ships? Or even just a fleet of a bunch of different types? Was this the Star Trek Clone War fleet or something? Like Starfleet finally made a massive fleet of dedicated battleships...you know to promote peace?

So is everyone in Star Trek now immortal? Just transfer your mind into a synth? Guess everyone forgot that was done way back on TNG season 2. (oh and it was done in the OS too).

So...wait was Data alive for like the last 20 years then? Um...why did they just never make him a new body then? Were they..er..using the Data box to make all the synthitics?

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
The whole license thing just seems silly: they use and reference like 100 things from The Next Generation, so they must be allowed to use that. So why no TNG ships? Or even just a fleet of a bunch of different types? Was this the Star Trek Clone War fleet or something? Like Starfleet finally made a massive fleet of dedicated battleships...you know to promote peace?

So is everyone in Star Trek now immortal? Just transfer your mind into a synth? Guess everyone forgot that was done way back on TNG season 2. (oh and it was done in the OS too).

So...wait was Data alive for like the last 20 years then? Um...why did they just never make him a new body then? Were they..er..using the Data box to make all the synthitics?

As silly as it looks, it was a serious issue, when Bad Robot obtain the license, Paramount and CBS 'wanted' a 25% look, not to clash with the current IP, especially on merchandising when JJA wanted CBS to drop the entire 'Prime Trek' look to sell his own version, they said NO, cause that was a 30 to 40 million yearly revenue stream.

When the Kelvin timeline video game came out, it failed with out additional support from CBS or whoever else.

Although the first 3 movies from the KTL made more money than Prime Trek films, the merchandise support was not there to keep it in people's mind.

So, it is not a silly issue, CBS and Paramount protected their current value of Trek, and let BR fend on it is own. But with CBS with Moonves of late back then, it became a means to make money with license fees. NetFlix paid for Season 1 STD, refuses to invest in Season 2, and Amazon pick up the tab for STP and Season 3 for STD.

But from previous snippets released, that is it...both Streamers companies want out, cause the premise put out about the show originally was changed, from Netflix's view, and for Amazon, the ratings are not so hot.
Now, to whatever amount of insane cash spent on both shows, the return is has been little or none at all.

This is now reflective in the stock fall of late.

It not silly to anyone who owes shares in the company.

Remove ads