• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Star Trek Picard SPOILERS thread

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Finally watched the latest episode and if people didn't shed a tear or two at the heartwarming, and heart breaking scene with data then just know that they're dead inside.

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
But Picard is set in the Original, Real timeline. The show has tons of stuff from The Next Generation. Characters and ships and items, all from TNG and Voyager. So they must be ''allowed" to use them.

Secret Hideout is a separate company altogether, they have paid for a variant look of Trek The Kelvin Timeline as a example They are not a partner in company to CBS or Paramount.

They had paid to use a variant look of Star Trek Discovery.

They had paid to use a variant look of Star Trek Picard, with references from TOS, TNG, and Voyager.

They are not allowed with a free hand to tinker outright with any other Prime Trek material, without permission and payment to use any original likeness of said IP, that must be converted to a variant look not of the Prime Trek directly.

From 2009, Bad Robot want to have their own look of Trek, away from what CBS and Paramount has. The merchs side sputtered and died when CBS did not give in to end their own line. I believe also Paramount followed suit as well.

As far as I know, CBS and Paramount don't own stock in SH or Bad Report and vice versa. And yes I know, this premise is no longer discussed in the public domain between these companies, cause that is the way they want it.

And to referred back to the pics I posted in a earlier thread about the Fed duplicated fleet of the same ship, I just heard they finished the post production of the finale episode just last week. Last week...and we got the same ship around 120 to 150+ times. And no different class, no Prime Trek ships, just Secret Hideout's.

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
they're the guys CBS hired to make star trek.

Truthseeker pimps a conspiracy theory that Secret Hideout has to pay licensing fees everytime they show anything from "old trek" which I see no evidence of, and in fact, the Memory Core article says the Star Trek merchandising and licensing office is on Secret Hideouts offices. Which wouldn't happen if they were treated as outsiders and had to pay per usage of anything from old trek.

the idea seems to spawn from an art directive to make the Enterprise different by 21% (or whatever) from originals during the planning of the first Abrams Trek movie which was about making it look cool, but somehow fans ran off with it as some kind of conspiracy that CBS/Paramount wasn't letting them use original trek art of any kind.

I honestly don't have to pimp anything, when the evidence is out there, right in the open. Take care...

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
I wasn't sure what "Secret Hideout" was. So, I gave in and did the hard work of a Google-search . . . it's Kurtzmann's (the showrunner) production company in charge of the Trek television revival. Reading the entry for the company on Memory Alpha (Trek wiki site), was like reading your post above . . . my eyes glazed over with all the corporate silliness. I'm sure what Secret Hideout is was explained upthread somewhere . . .

Can I assume that SH is privately owned, yes?

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
Visual IP is treated differently than referencing a thing. But still, you are right. We see the original Enterprise and (I think) the original uniforms in some of the flashback scenes.

I appreciate Truthseeker's share on the IP shenanigans going on, and I believe him, but . . . it is all rather silly from a "normal" person's point-of-view, if not from a profits-before-story corporate point-of-view. It seems to be a situation of studio executives having silly disputes over who gets to make more money and who doesn't, putting their concerns over profits before the story itself. Making shows like ST: Picard (and the other shows, and the movies) does require a lot of money, but if they would just stop pissing with each other and put the story first, the profits would follow. Art before money creates beloved franchises, money before art destroys them.

I will admit this, I would have never been a sturdy observer to such ongoing of IP usage, if wasn't for Star Wars, when it got bought, and when I heard that Expanded Universe legacy was being dropped, I said on that day, this will not bode well if all that material is abandoned outright. And yes, several small snippets has been used along the way, but the last set of the film Trilogy, well...everyone has their take to how they like it. But the end result business wise speak and show different.

I applied this to Star Trek, and I will admit this also, I did like the Kelvin Trek, didn't love it, just like it...and then came Discovery, and I began to see how many wrongs were occurring. I watch all 2 seasons, and said to myself, you abandon the core of what Trek meant and went on a bent to make it what actually?

Now with Picard, they got a little better, but the telltale signs of lazy writing, cheap production values, and didn't have a true direction to how the show should have started...began to show, and yes, there were bright spots along the way, but not enough to push out the smothering shadows that surrounded this show. And I have grown up with Trek as wee one. Follow almost everything, that I could follow and watch...saw the changes and accepted them, as progression.

I can't peg what Picard is, cause I don't see the message, it was here and there....and that is bad. As I has grown older, I do realize that some folks will not treat Trek the same way, we older folks understand what it meant to us, growing along with it.

And I will blame Morrus for this...my entry into EnWorld opened my eyes to many things I didn't know or understand at first. Today...is a different story. ;)

Live Long and Prosper... 🖖

Hussar

Legend
I can't peg what Picard is, cause I don't see the message, it was here and there....and that is bad. As I has grown older, I do realize that some folks will not treat Trek the same way, we older folks understand what it meant to us, growing along with it.

Here now. I grew up with Trek. Don't be including me in that "we" stuff. Some of us aren't interested in watching regurgitated rehash of thirty year old stuff but would would rather watch new stories with new takes and new approaches.

Trek means a lot of things to a lot of people. Pretending to have a monopoly on meaning is just a waste of time.

Just at a glance, the Fed side, it looks to be same ship model in mass. checking now with a froze cut. yupe...it is all the same ships or the majority. No Prime Trek ships, this is all of one Secret Hideout model. There are two direct views that shows, the same ship greatly duplicated, from the starboard and aft view.

View attachment 120226View attachment 120222View attachment 120223
The strange thing is they all look kinda identical, but they actually aren't. look at the second picture and compare two closest ships and compare their nacelles:
The first (closest) seems to have some kind of red bussard collector on top in a small strip, and a relatively short blue stripe, the second one has a yellowish glue and seems larger (reminds me a bit more of the Sovereign nacelles), the blue strip is longer, and there is also a black detail on the nacelle.

I believe there are supposed to be overall 4 seperate types in the picture, but they seem to be much more similar in style than normal.

Remove ads