• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Star Trek Picard SPOILERS thread

Picard's death and resurrection too close together.
Of course, if they hadn't resolved this, we'd have had to endure endless "speculation" about the next season or, more realistically, the resolution would arrive in the form of p/r related to Stewart filming season 2.

This was a cheap poke at emotions tied to really opaque themematic concerns (mentioned in Ready Room") the only winning move was not to do this.

The whole license thing just seems silly: they use and reference like 100 things from The Next Generation, so they must be allowed to use that. So why no TNG ships? Or even just a fleet of a bunch of different types? Was this the Star Trek Clone War fleet or something? Like Starfleet finally made a massive fleet of dedicated battleships...you know to promote peace?

So is everyone in Star Trek now immortal? Just transfer your mind into a synth? Guess everyone forgot that was done way back on TNG season 2. (oh and it was done in the OS too).

So...wait was Data alive for like the last 20 years then? Um...why did they just never make him a new body then? Were they..er..using the Data box to make all the synthitics?

The real reason should be obvious - many TNG era ships don't even have 3D models, and even if they have, they were made in the 90s and early 2000s and are not up to the current CGI standards (quite possibly with proprietary or obsolete technology). They can't be reused. If they want to use them again, they have to make them again.

A bit less obvious, but a sign on how things work with CGI models: In an interview about their in-game models for ships in Star Trek Online, one of their ship artists said that they had access to the actual 3D models used by Discovery. But they still rebuild the entire model for their game, because attempts to simplify these models so they work in their game (with the performance people are used to) are futile. The models are good reference points, but they have to still build a completely new model.

And if you are going to make a model for a Star Trek show set 25 years since the last time we saw a Starfleet ship in-universe, you probably spend your efforts on making new ships for the era. They did already make a model of the Borg Cube and the Galaxy Class, that was probably deemed sufficient.

Dire Bare

Legend
Secret Hideout is a separate company altogether, they have paid for a variant look of Trek The Kelvin Timeline as a example They are not a partner in company to CBS or Paramount. They had paid to use a variant look of Star Trek Discovery. They had paid to use a variant look of Star Trek Picard, with references from TOS, TNG, and Voyager.

Secret Hideout is an independently owned company, owned by Alex Kurtzmann, one of new-Trek's showrunners, formed for the express purpose of making new Trek TV. Secret Hideout isn't owned by CBS or Paramount, but they very much ARE partners in bringing Trek back to the screen. I'm fairly sure Secret Hideout didn't pay for anything, they are being paid to create new Trek. It's not a licensing agreement, but work-for-hire.

While I believe a lot of claims about corporate ridiculousness, I'm beginning to think Janx is right and you are diving into conspiracy theory land.

I honestly don't have to pimp anything, when the evidence is out there, right in the open. Take care...

Where? Do you have a link with people actually involved in the show discussing what you claim?[/QUOTE]

And if you are going to make a model for a Star Trek show set 25 years since the last time we saw a Starfleet ship in-universe, you probably spend your efforts on making new ships for the era. They did already make a model of the Borg Cube and the Galaxy Class, that was probably deemed sufficient.

Right so why did they not do that? They did not have enough time? They like only did the special effect last week? Yea because computer animation is such a hard, non-essential, job. Like someone could not have taken the whole...oh..hour or so to make like ten diffrent looking ships. They did it back in the '90's, but what the more advanced computers 20 years later could not do it?

Dire Bare

Legend
Right so why did they not do that? They did not have enough time? They like only did the special effect last week? Yea because computer animation is such a hard, non-essential, job. Like someone could not have taken the whole...oh..hour or so to make like ten diffrent looking ships. They did it back in the '90's, but what the more advanced computers 20 years later could not do it?

Good CGI isn't something you whip up in "an hour or so". It costs money. The software is often proprietary and expensive, but really its about man-hours. You have to pay people to do it, and it takes time. ST: Next Gen was one of the most expensive shows on TV at the time, and things really haven't gotten any cheaper.

I wish the production team would have done just that, budgeted the time and money to give us a better variety of Federation ships. But since they featured only briefly and were not the focus of the plot, I can understand why they didn't.

I actually would have preferred just a handful of Romulan ships facing off against a handful of Federation ships, it would have been more in keeping with how things were portrayed in earlier Trek. I don't think we saw that many ships at Wolf 359 or during the major Dominion War "mass battle" episodes.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I actually would have preferred just a handful of Romulan ships facing off against a handful of Federation ships, it would have been more in keeping with how things were portrayed in earlier Trek. I don't think we saw that many ships at Wolf 359 or during the major Dominion War "mass battle" episodes.

I would have too. Ideally, a handful of ships with some variety. It would have made the "Power up your weapons and destroy the colony.... wait, no.... point 'em at the Starfleet ships!" a little less hard to take.

Couldn't like, one or two of 'em just shoot the colony anyway? What difference would it make if ALL or SOME of them are pointed at the other ships? Honestly, that whole scene did it for me on an emotional/kewl-factor level, but doesn't remotely stand to a logic-pass. I think I won't pick at that scab any more.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I would have too. Ideally, a handful of ships with some variety. It would have made the "Power up your weapons and destroy the colony.... wait, no.... point 'em at the Starfleet ships!" a little less hard to take.

Couldn't like, one or two of 'em just shoot the colony anyway? What difference would it make if ALL or SOME of them are pointed at the other ships? Honestly, that whole scene did it for me on an emotional/kewl-factor level, but doesn't remotely stand to a logic-pass. I think I won't pick at that scab any more.
Just one ship could have taken out that colony with one torpedo.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Just one ship could have taken out that colony with one torpedo.

I can only imagine Commodore Oh's other captains, ready to fire, and she's like "No wait, there's a bunch of tiny little ships!" They roll their eyes, wondering why they can't just fire. "Awww... now there's a bunch of Starfleet!" They facepalm, wondering why they can't fire. "You win Riker! Retreat!" They look at their pilots in disbelief, nod to them while shaking their heads as they warp away...

If you want to see how much of a Star Trek spaceship you can get done within a single hour, here is one example:

I believe the estimation was something like 4 weeks of work in Star Trek Online to get a ship model ready. Though that includes everything, even the ship mechanics. YOu don't need the latter for a TV show, but in exchange, your model will probably be more complex with a higher polygon count.

Remove ads