Star Trek Picard SPOILERS thread

In older Trek, you got 24 (ish) episodes per season. So, you might get a season long plot (say in DS9) introduced in the first two episodes of the season, then it would kind of fade to the background until mid-season, then there'd be two or three plotsy episodes and then it would fade back again until the end of the season and you'd get like 4 plot based episodes concluding the story arc.
Seriously, DS9 was the only show that did make any longer lasting story arcs. But even DS9 was much more episodic, a big part of the story of the episode was still self-contained - it's the Dominion War, yes, but this is the one particular episode where they have to recover the Dominion ship, and this is the episode where Nog recovers from his war injury.

Well, really, that's what we're getting with these shorter seasons - all the plot based stuff and none of the other stuff. But, the other stuff is really where Star Trek developed so much of the character and world. That's where the Holodeck episodes lived and the more character driven stories where Worf or Data ponders their particular existence for an hour. :D

The new format is more along the lines of a really long movie. They remind me of the old 80's TV Mini-series that we used to get. Things like Shogun or various other, basically, 10 hour movies. You just don't have the time to develop characters like you could in the older series. You can't spend an entire hour on Odo trying to turn himself into bird or whatever.

I really wonder if that's what turns people off from the newer Trek.

I think a key part of "old" Trek (and much of old TV shows) is that the major emotional resonant arcs and drama is resolved within that episode. You get a sort of resolution.

Picard is not really doing that. You might get new information that puts things in a different light, but there is no story arc that really is finished. It all ties together much more tightly. And I think that means that any moral ambiguities and questionable actions remains unresolved much longer than usually. And some people just don't want that from Star Trek.

I like it, however. It is kinda what I hoped for with a new era of Star Trek streaming.
--------------

Totally different question.

Did you notice the line in the last episode where the Romulan guy (sorry, can't remember names) talks about the legends/history and mentions that the story comes from before Vulcans settled their planet? Interesting.
Yes. I think most of us (me certainly) have forgotten about it, but there was a TOS episode called "Return to Tomorrow" where an alien suggests some relationship to the Vulcan species and Spock mentions that the archaeological record on Vulcan is spotty and might suggest it is not actually the Vulcan home.

Heck, the episode even has a young Pulaski, or rather, Diane Muldaur playing a different Star Trek character!

Stuff like this is why I always find it ridicilous that people think they spot some canon inconsistency or something else they don't like and spew that the writers don't know or care Star Trek... They definitely do. They just get different ideas from that than you do.

Ryujin

Legend
Yes. I think most of us (me certainly) have forgotten about it, but there was a TOS episode called "Return to Tomorrow" where an alien suggests some relationship to the Vulcan species and Spock mentions that the archaeological record on Vulcan is spotty and might suggest it is not actually the Vulcan home.

Heck, the episode even has a young Pulaski, or rather, Diane Muldaur playing a different Star Trek character!

Stuff like this is why I always find it ridicilous that people think they spot some canon inconsistency or something else they don't like and spew that the writers don't know or care Star Trek... They definitely do. They just get different ideas from that than you do.

"It would, however, explain some aspects of Vulcan prehistory."

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member

It's the same problem that Star Wars has now. A toxic fan base which has written the future in their heads already, and when the filmmaker's vision isn't the exact same thing they imagined, accuses them of being 'lazy', 'hating Star Trek', 'not understanding the show' and all sorts of stupid stuff. It's horrible, and an anethma to any sort of creativity. Maybe all these things should just die (they won't; they perform perfectly well).

Zardnaar

Legend
Toxic= anyone who disagrees with me.

Make good Star Trek and Star Wars its fairly simple. Even Disney can manage 50/50 with Star Wars (Rebels, Rogue One, Clone Wars, Mandalorian are good).

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Toxic= anyone who disagrees with me.

That's a fundamental misunderstanding, and insultingly dismissal of what that term means. Unless you identify as toxic, in which case, sure. Anybody who disagrees with you.

Toxic means personally attacking creators for not doing exactly what you wanted them to do. If you equate that with everybody who disagrees with you, that says a lot about you.

Zardnaar

Legend
Realistically, Toxic (in this case) = Anyone who attacks a fan or creator personally because they don't like the direction or content of a work of fiction.

Yeah probably. I don't blame individuals to much more corporations.
They're giving Star Trek, Star Wars levels of money. But Star Trek movies have never hit Star Wars money, and similar for the ratings.

That seems to be the big problem.

Remove ads