Star Trek Picard SPOILERS thread

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Me neither. Maddox, the guy who tried to vivisect Data, being the person who eventually realizes Data's dream of creating a daughter (or two) is poetic. Making him a deliberate villain would be an awful, nonsensical choice.

It's more likely that Maddox and Data became allies over time and Maddox assisted in the creation of Data's daughters, or at least observed. Now, why Data never mentioned working on them to Picard is another question... I mean. the only time he could have done it would have been in his spare time while still under Picard's command, right?

It's more likely that Maddox and Data became allies over time and Maddox assisted in the creation of Data's daughters, or at least observed. Now, why Data never mentioned working on them to Picard is another question... I mean. the only time he could have done it would have been in his spare time while still under Picard's command, right?

The only problem I had with the revelation of the two Daughters was how contrived it felt. There weren't any blood tests, no brain scans, etc. to confirm that they were actually artificial.

Or maybe I missed it.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
The only problem I had with the revelation of the two Daughters was how contrived it felt. There weren't any blood tests, no brain scans, etc. to confirm that they were actually artificial.

Or maybe I missed it.

He hadn't confirmed his conclusion, no. He never had the chance, though he had further evidence by her super-jump before getting blown up. Picard's just going with his gut at the moment. He'll have to find the twin to learn more, though.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I didn't quite get why there had to be two of them? Didn't she say something about there were always two of them made or something?

Mallus

Legend
He hadn't confirmed his conclusion, no. He never had the chance, though he had further evidence by her super-jump before getting blown up. Picard's just going with his gut at the moment. He'll have to find the twin to learn more, though.
Right. Picard has her story, the resemblance to Data's painting, and being eyewitness to both the Romulan black-ops squad and Dahj's superhuman response to it.

The other thing about Picard 'going with his gut', the episode makes it clear Picard is being driven by his desire for there to be something of his old friend still alive in Dahj. He wants that to be true.

Mallus

Legend
I didn't quite get why there had to be two of them? Didn't she say something about there were always two of them made or something?
Dr. Jurati states the androids their lab made were made in pairs. No explanation of the process is given. I took it to be a call-back to Data having a twin brother Lore.

tomBitonti

Adventurer
A matching pair of two entire humanoid androids?

I took that to mean that the process of creating their minds created two at a time. I presume that their physical structure / bodies are the same just for engineering simplicity. Whether android bodies can be changed, or changed easily, doesn't seem to be answered. Data could repair damage. But, he had extensive capabilities (secondary processors and such) in his body, such that his body seemed to be an integrated system and perhaps difficult to change.

Thx!
TomB

Janx

Hero
I would wager that it's not quite like that. But yes, they probably ended as friends, before his death. I'm sure he left on good terms with Data and over the years they talked. Maybe even Data bequeathed his remains.

Maddox struggled for years to recreate Data, and failed. Then Data dies. Other breakthrus in organic-like synthetics arise, then the ban. Maddox is sticking to his life-long quest. But the last 18 years has been Maddox alone. We don't even know how old Dhaj is. is she 18+ years old or just last year?

I would bet that he perfected Dahj after the synthetics ban. He went into hiding so he could continue that research.

Remove ads