Star Trek Picard SPOILERS thread

okay from memory alpha (canon ST) we get the following info:

The Romulan Star Empire asked the United Federation of Planets for help with evacuation efforts, and Starfleet agreed to provide aid at the behest of Jean-Luc Picard. Picard left the USS Enterprise-E to command a rescue armada of ten thousand Federation tugs, with the intent to relocate 900 million Romulan citizens to worlds outside the blast of the supernova. He would later compare this rescue effort to the Dunkirk evacuation of World War II.

(Then the fire nation attacked)

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I mean, they give us a number of people saved.

Oh. I've had the impression that 900 million was the number of Romulans that needed evacuating. You mean, it was the number that was successfully evacuatED and we don't know how many died? Could have been billions? Is that correct?

Quite a few. The Enterprise-D has at least 8 transporter rooms, plus three shuttle bays. It's established in canon that its entire crew can be evacuated in 7 minutes.

You mean a well-trained and organised crew can LEAVE the ship in 7 minutes, right? I'm more wondering just how many people they can take off a planet and how long it would take to "fill up" to the ship's refugee capacity.

I mean, even when you beam a group to the transporter pad, you've still got to get them off the pad and out before you do the next group, and I bet conflict would occur regularly too!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I mean, they give us a number of people saved - note that it is less than a billion. Real Earth right now has 7 billion - assume an advanced civilizations got at least that many on their home world. Which suggests... most of the Romulan population didn't make it. We get a sense of the cataastrophe from that.

I just watched it again. It wasn't 900M of of a 9B population that got saved. It was 900M total that needed to get saved. I don't know what the capital world of a stellar empire had only 900M people on it, but them's the stated facts.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Oh. I've had the impression that 900 million was the number of Romulans that needed evacuating. You mean, it was the number that was successfully evacuatED and we don't know how many died? Could have been billions? Is that correct?

No, you're right. Just 900M need saving.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
No, you're right. Just 900M need saving.

Right. And some nebulous number failed to be relocated, and some that WERE relocated were only meant to be placed temporarily on less-than-best planets and then further relocated afterward, which didn't happen. (Correct me if I'm wrong, but that seems like what the Romulans that Picard visited were angry about, right?)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Right. And some nebulous number failed to be relocated, and some that WERE relocated were only meant to be placed temporarily on less-than-best planets and then further relocated afterward, which didn't happen. (Correct me if I'm wrong, but that seems like what the Romulans that Picard visited were angry about, right?)
My impressions was 900M needed evacuating, but he quit after some opposition, and only a portion of those actually got saved,

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I just watched it again. It wasn't 900M of of a 9B population that got saved. It was 900M total that needed to get saved. I don't know what the capital world of a stellar empire had only 900M people on it, but them's the stated facts.

Memory alpha states it as, "Starfleet began constructing a fleet of ten thousand Federation tugs to help transport 900 million Romulan citizens away from the star's blast radius "

If they were moving the entire population, it would have read, "..to help transport the 900 million Romulan citizens..."

I think it is more, "We have this plan - with our resources, we can move 900 million people. Your own resources will have to move others..."

Because, as noted, 900 million for the homeworld of a major star empire seems very, very low.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
If they were moving the entire population, it would have read, "..to help transport the 900 million Romulan citizens..."
I wouldn't rely on the grammar of a fan wiki to prove your point. From the show itself, 900M appears to be the number of people who needed rescuing. Yes, it seems low. But hey. Star Trek.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases