Star Trek Strange New Worlds season 1 available for free!

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I have it on good authority that a VPN can get around the region-restriction on the version available on Paramount+'s Youtube channel.

Mod Note:
Look, I know companies do things that annoy. But actively enabling piracy is not something the site can support. Please don't. Thanks.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Is it piracy when its they are giving it way for free?

I suspect the areas YouTube viewing of this is blocked are ones paramount+ is not itself carrying the show (either because they don't themselves service the area or have otherwise contracted the show out). it's on some other streaming platform.

So it's that platform providing the service.

So yes, at that point it's piracy.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Is it piracy when its they are giving it way for free?

Mod Note:
Moderation posts are not invitations to engage in further discussion. Please do not respond in-thread to moderation posts.

But, yes, it is still piracy.

Having the copyright is having the right to choose when, where, and for how much, a work is reproduced. The rights owner gets to make those deals, not you. That they are making it free of charge in one place, at one time, does not mean it is okay for you to have it for free somewhere else. You do not hold those rights. So, it is piracy.

fba827

Adventurer
Watched two episodes so far. Enjoyable enough that I will watch more over the month. I appreciate this heads up as I would have missed it otherwise. :)

MGibster

Legend
Okay, okay. I'm four episodes in, and I'm starting to wonder how many mysterious secret/tragic backstories do we really need? Warning: Spoiler for the first 4 episodes.

• Pike - Okay, I get it. It's kind of cool having a character know his fate.
  • Uhura - Do we really need a tragic backstory here? Isn't a young person trying to figure out what she wants to do compelling enough?
  • Noonian-Singh - Is there some reason the family didn't change their name? Even the Hitlers decided to be somethign else. Plus we've got a Godzilla survivor. She's got two tragic backstories in one!
  • M'Benga - Crouching Doctor Hidden Kid?
  • Riley - Attack of the Clones

I don't really object to any single one, but man, when everyone has one it kind of lessens the impact. It's like a soap opera. So far that's my biggest fault with the show, which means I'm just nitpicking at this point.

Remove ads