Star Trek Strange New Worlds, what did you think?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
They kept that same voice through Ortegas in the new series, but without any of the backstory. I had felt that Ortegas' hostility was a bit much beyond what we normally had seen from the character, but now comparing it to the original show it felt even more.

With respect, we have seen Ortegas trigger happy all season. Even in the fantasy episode, Ortegas is the one most interested in skewering people with a sword.

Stalker0

Legend
With respect, we have seen Ortegas trigger happy all season. Even in the fantasy episode, Ortegas is the one most interested in skewering people with a sword.
With even more respect, ignoring the fantasy episode (as the characters were not themselves we can't use it as a frame of reference, hehe or else L'ann is going to look very different), while Ortegas has sometimes been assertive and even aggressive, she's never really been trigger happy, and never been belligerent to the point where the captain had to have her stand down. In fact, there have been scenes where she was the reluctant one, often double checking the captain's orders (are you sure you want to go in there) kind of thing.

There was clear anger in this episode we had not seen before. Now I'm not saying its unjustified, it just felt a little off compared to episodes before, we have never seen her get to that point, and I never really understood why. Was she just so distraught and angry about losing the starbases (which would be very understandable), was there some backstory there with Romulans we are unaware of? Is it simply that older Ortegas is an angrier, more belligerent person?

There are several reasons to explain why Ortegas might be angry, again I would never say it wasn't justified, I just wanted to understand better what was driving her character.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
...while Ortegas has sometimes been assertive and even aggressive, she's never really been trigger happy...

Beyond assertive and aggressive - they're always suggesting the ship go into combat. Very "shoot first ask questions later"

...and never been belligerent to the point where the captain had to have her stand down.

Well, for everything that happens, there must be a first time for it, no?

Stalker0

Legend
Well, for everything that happens, there must be a first time for it, no?
Sure, but what was it about that scenario that made it the first time, that's what I was curious about. Aka what is driving the character of ortegas?

I just want to understand her character better is all.

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
I loved the last episode. Had to watch Balance of Terror immediately after and noticed how they used a lot of the original dialogue.

I have two points of disappointment though. Uhura should have sported the classic hairstyle (although I did appreciate the earrings being similar), and the Romulan Commander should have been played by James Frain…

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Sure, but what was it about that scenario that made it the first time, that's what I was curious about. Aka what is driving the character of ortegas?

I don't know that one needs more than anger and fear of impending war with an enemy that has major tactical advantages and a history of destructive aggression to explain the observed behavior. YMMV.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
He always struck me as pretty professional and by the book. The Kobayashi Maru was the exception -- it was supposed to be surprising. He frequently did his duty when he didn't want to -- putting Spock on trial, for example. He is in no way a maverick.
He broke the prime directive several times. In Star Trek IV when Kirk is put on trial, they say he violated 9 directives, but list only 6. In Amok Time he straight out defies orders in order to save Spock. In A Private Little War Kirk again defies Starfleet orders, even noting that he is doing so in his log. And there's a bunch more. He obeyed regulations and orders unless he felt he knew better and the situation required him to violate those orders or regulations.

Last edited:

Stalker0

Legend
My one issue with the premise of the final episode.

Ok, we have established that Pike being captain of the enterprise later in life is bad....got it. So....why not retire? I mean he started the season basically retired, just save himself and go live a quiet life in a cabin. They establish this concept that Pike has to die, but don't really back that up.

tomBitonti

Adventurer
My one issue with the premise of the final episode.

Ok, we have established that Pike being captain of the enterprise later in life is bad....got it. So....why not retire? I mean he started the season basically retired, just save himself and go live a quiet life in a cabin. They establish this concept that Pike has to die, but don't really back that up.
They patch that up by remarking that every time Pike saves himself Spock dies. Apparently the Klingon monks looked over such futures.
Tom B

Remove ads