Star Trek Star Trek TNG How to Watch?

Benjamin Olson

Adventurer
Eh, I’m of the mindset that you have to watch it all. You can’t appreciate how much it improves if you don’t see the early steps. It finally gets good when Riker grows a beard.
And the beard was much more important in pre-streaming days when you couldn't just order up things by the season. If you tuned in to a broadcast in syndication and saw clean-shaven Riker you knew to check what else was on.

You have to watch all the episodes of every iteration of Star Trek 3 times each, and read all the novels and comics, and all the RPGs, and then whenever somebody talks about Star Trek hijack the thread and turn it into one about some obscure fact nobody cares about. Just to stay on brand! ;)

I think around here, that happens a lot more with Star Wars than Star Trek. lol

Zardnaar

Legend
Well Worf as a midwife was interesting.

Think we'll be able to get through this fine. Might have to give Voyager another go around even if we have to hate watch season 1. There's a really annoying alien in it.

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
Well Worf as a midwife was interesting.

Think we'll be able to get through this fine. Might have to give Voyager another go around even if we have to hate watch season 1. There's a really annoying alien in it.
There’s a really well done callback to Worf being a midwife in DS9, when he learns that Keiko is pregnant again. It is maybe one of the best continuity building examples in all of tv.

Zardnaar

Legend
Thoughts since I barely remember early tng. First Contact want to watch again.

Q. He's awesome. Steals the scenes in his episodes.

Data. Straight man/no emotions gets boring after a while. Good character though.

Picard. I like him, think I like Sisko better though.

Worf. Awesome.

Riker. Kinda bored me a bit he's ok. Does the Kirk thing.

Beverly Crusher. Better than her son she's ok.

Wesley Crusher meh.

Guinan. Quite like her.

Troi. Bit more interesting but gets a bit of sex kitten type episodes. Her mother is great though.

Laforge. He's fine me doesn't seem to get to many plotlines/episodes.

Zardnaar

Legend
Almost finished season 7. Watched lower decks episode last night.

After B5, Farscape, DS9, Stargates etc not used to episodic series for 7 seasons. Well 5 skipped 1&2.

Mercurius

Legend
As I think I said, I was doing a run-through a few months ago and then stopped early 6th season. I decided to get back into it to finish up the series, partially in preparing for watching Picard (which I haven't seen yet).

One thing I noticed is that there seems to be an overall drop-off in season 6. The peak of TNG seems to be seasons 3-5, imo. Now more than halfway into S6, the stories seem to be less innovative, and the actors kind of phoning it in, or at least without the earlier inspired feeling. But we'll see how the last third is.

Zardnaar

Legend
As I think I said, I was doing a run-through a few months ago and then stopped early 6th season. I decided to get back into it to finish up the series, partially in preparing for watching Picard (which I haven't seen yet).

One thing I noticed is that there seems to be an overall drop-off in season 6. The peak of TNG seems to be seasons 3-5, imo. Now more than halfway into S6, the stories seem to be less innovative, and the actors kind of phoning it in, or at least without the earlier inspired feeling. But we'll see how the last third is.

Yeah I have around 8 episodes left.

The good episodes are great but there's a lot of crud.

DS9 seems a lot more consistent. I like that better.

Mercurius

Legend
Yeah I have around 8 episodes left.

The good episodes are great but there's a lot of crud.

DS9 seems a lot more consistent. I like that better.
Yeah, it is more uneven in season 6, but some really good episodes.

I never got into DS9, mainly because I don't like the characters as much. But I should probably give it another chance as I don't think I've ever watched more than a stray episode or two.

Advertisement2

Advertisement4