Star Trek TNG How to Watch?

Zardnaar

Legend
Thoughts since I barely remember early tng. First Contact want to watch again.

Q. He's awesome. Steals the scenes in his episodes.

Data. Straight man/no emotions gets boring after a while. Good character though.

Picard. I like him, think I like Sisko better though.

Worf. Awesome.

Riker. Kinda bored me a bit he's ok. Does the Kirk thing.

Beverly Crusher. Better than her son she's ok.

Wesley Crusher meh.

Guinan. Quite like her.

Troi. Bit more interesting but gets a bit of sex kitten type episodes. Her mother is great though.

Laforge. He's fine me doesn't seem to get to many plotlines/episodes.

Zardnaar

Legend
Almost finished season 7. Watched lower decks episode last night.

After B5, Farscape, DS9, Stargates etc not used to episodic series for 7 seasons. Well 5 skipped 1&2.

Mercurius

Legend
As I think I said, I was doing a run-through a few months ago and then stopped early 6th season. I decided to get back into it to finish up the series, partially in preparing for watching Picard (which I haven't seen yet).

One thing I noticed is that there seems to be an overall drop-off in season 6. The peak of TNG seems to be seasons 3-5, imo. Now more than halfway into S6, the stories seem to be less innovative, and the actors kind of phoning it in, or at least without the earlier inspired feeling. But we'll see how the last third is.

Zardnaar

Legend
As I think I said, I was doing a run-through a few months ago and then stopped early 6th season. I decided to get back into it to finish up the series, partially in preparing for watching Picard (which I haven't seen yet).

One thing I noticed is that there seems to be an overall drop-off in season 6. The peak of TNG seems to be seasons 3-5, imo. Now more than halfway into S6, the stories seem to be less innovative, and the actors kind of phoning it in, or at least without the earlier inspired feeling. But we'll see how the last third is.

Yeah I have around 8 episodes left.

The good episodes are great but there's a lot of crud.

DS9 seems a lot more consistent. I like that better.

Mercurius

Legend
Yeah I have around 8 episodes left.

The good episodes are great but there's a lot of crud.

DS9 seems a lot more consistent. I like that better.
Yeah, it is more uneven in season 6, but some really good episodes.

I never got into DS9, mainly because I don't like the characters as much. But I should probably give it another chance as I don't think I've ever watched more than a stray episode or two.

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
I tend to go to IMDB's episode list by season, and look for episodes rated 8.5 (out of 10) or higher. Adjust that threshold as needed.

Zardnaar

Legend
I tend to go to IMDB's episode list by season, and look for episodes rated 8.5 (out of 10) or higher. Adjust that threshold as needed.

We did. A trekkie suggested we skip season 1&2 a d they have very low ratings.

Finished it a whole ago. It was alright but enjoyed other 90's shows more.

MGibster

Legend
Early TNG suffered a bit in that they were recycling old scripts for original Trek and a proposed new Trek series featuring the original crew (as someone else already pointed out). I think Roddenberry had quite a bit of creative control during the first two seasons and, well, I hate to say it, but I don't think his vision of Trek was very good for the show at that point. Roddenberry wanted a utopia where the crew had no prejudice or serious disagreements with one another which just doesn't make for great drama. He was extremely unhappy with Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country because Roddenberry disliked the idea that Kirk and other members of the Federation might be prejudiced against the Klingons. You know, those same Klingons who were the main enemy during the original series and who killed Kirk's son? Part of what makes The Undiscovered Country one of the better Trek movies is the conflict Kirk and others feel about making peace with their former enemies.

Zardnaar

Legend
Early TNG suffered a bit in that they were recycling old scripts for original Trek and a proposed new Trek series featuring the original crew (as someone else already pointed out). I think Roddenberry had quite a bit of creative control during the first two seasons and, well, I hate to say it, but I don't think his vision of Trek was very good for the show at that point. Roddenberry wanted a utopia where the crew had no prejudice or serious disagreements with one another which just doesn't make for great drama. He was extremely unhappy with Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country because Roddenberry disliked the idea that Kirk and other members of the Federation might be prejudiced against the Klingons. You know, those same Klingons who were the main enemy during the original series and who killed Kirk's son? Part of what makes The Undiscovered Country one of the better Trek movies is the conflict Kirk and others feel about making peace with their former enemies.

I'm not a Gene Roddenberry fanboy.

As a kid I thought the original Trek was campy and kinda meh.

TNG back in the day kinda boring.

Wasn't really until DS9/First Contact ibrealy enjoyed Trek.

Movies IV and VI were decent, never really got Wrath of Khan but I was very young.

Best if TNG was good but it seemed to have a lit of fuller relative to say B5, Stargate or Farscape.

DS9 only one I've managed to watch from start to finish and enjoy a lot. Tried Voyager gave up season one, Picard's alright, last season of STD seemed better than season 1&2.

Never been a trekkie but liked some of it at least.

MGibster

Legend
I'm not a Gene Roddenberry fanboy.

As a kid I thought the original Trek was campy and kinda meh.

I started watching Star Trek when I was six years old back in the early 80s when it aired on Armed Forces Network television in Germany every Saturday at 6:00 a.m. before cartoons would start. At six years old I didn't exactly have discerning tastes and the show had only been off the air for 13 years or so before I started watching it so it didn't seem that out of date at the time. I once saw Leonard Nimoy at a Star Trek convention and someone asked him about the third season episode "Spock's Brain," widely regarded as one of the worst episodes, and he said something like, "You know, the episodes we did that were bad thirty years ago are still bad today. The episodes that were good thirty years ago are still good today."

And I largely agree with that sentiment. TOS has some outstanding episodes if you can get past the costumes, special effects, acting style, pacing, etc., etc. I certainly can't fault someone for having a hard time connecting to the series. I don't think I've even seen a TOS episode in more than 20 years.

Remove ads