Star Trek TNG How to Watch?

Zardnaar

Legend
I started watching Star Trek when I was six years old back in the early 80s when it aired on Armed Forces Network television in Germany every Saturday at 6:00 a.m. before cartoons would start. At six years old I didn't exactly have discerning tastes and the show had only been off the air for 13 years or so before I started watching it so it didn't seem that out of date at the time. I once saw Leonard Nimoy at a Star Trek convention and someone asked him about the third season episode "Spock's Brain," widely regarded as one of the worst episodes, and he said something like, "You know, the episodes we did that were bad thirty years ago are still bad today. The episodes that were good thirty years ago are still good today."

And I largely agree with that sentiment. TOS has some outstanding episodes if you can get past the costumes, special effects, acting style, pacing, etc., etc. I certainly can't fault someone for having a hard time connecting to the series. I don't think I've even seen a TOS episode in more than 20 years.

Yeah it was in in the 80s here. I remember the characters, I don't remember much about plotlines etc. It was on Saturday mornings.

Kinda like Doctor Who as well. I remember the 80's doctors plus Baker and Pertwee but I don't remember the plots or anything.

For all I know they were screened out of order because that's what they had. Lots of old UK/US and Aussie shows.

Marc_C

Solitary Role Playing
Tried watching it when it came out. Stopped when Tasha was killed. Tuned in from time to time. There are reruns on cable. I can never finish an episode. I prefer watching the TNG First Contact movie.

I would say it is a show you can start whenever. Season 3 is probably a good starting point. But like others have said might be best to get a list of top episodes and a handful that appeal to you, then pick a season based on that. Seasons one and two are better once you are more invested in the show. It isn’t like Babylon 5 or Walking Dead: you can get by watching random episodes

Ryujin

Legend
Original series Star Trek is definitely a product of its time and yet was very progressive for that time. Roddenberry managed to make a show that was palatable to the masses (a Wagon Train to the stars) and yet also told stories that were socially forward, with a crew that wasn't pasty White. When it came out I lived in a racially and culturally diverse poor neighbourhood, in Toronto, and now my East Indian, Asian, and Black friends could see people like them not just in a TV show, but as important people on a TV show. Officers, engineers, doctors... if you didn't grow up during that time, I doubt that you have a real idea how important that was and how many people who wouldn't otherwise have done so, aspired to careers in STEM as a result.

Zardnaar

Legend
I would say it is a show you can start whenever. Season 3 is probably a good starting point. But like others have said might be best to get a list of top episodes and a handful that appeal to you, then pick a season based on that. Seasons one and two are better once you are more invested in the show. It isn’t like Babylon 5 or Walking Dead: you can get by watching random episodes

That's what we did. Watched from season 3 inwards plus Measure of a Man.

Overall enjoyed it wasn't amazing it anything. I like Sisko over Picard;).

Remove ads