Star Wars: Andor

MarkB

Legend
I guess I see it as two different wars. One ended at the end of the first movie, then 10 years pass, then the 2nd and 3rd movie cover 3 years and the real war, or second part of a war that had a quiet stage of 10 years.
The one in the first movie isn't the Clone Wars. You can tell by the lack of clones.

We weren't impressed by this, and consider it by far the weakest live action Star Wars TV series. We very nearly gave up on it before getting to episode 3 and something happened. Really, if nothing happens in your first two episodes, why make them episodes? Just have one longer episode.

Also agree with those who disliked the central character, a murderer and a jerk; and those who felt the "alien" language needed subtitles.

The Kenari scenes appear to take place towards the end of the Clone War (BBY 20-19). The Republic has already become the Empire in all but name. Which is why Maarva thinks the Republic will send people to massacre the Kenari survivors.

pukunui

Legend
Finally got around to watching this. The sets and the multitude of accents really stood out for me.

I’m just a little confused about the timing of the flashbacks. The guys in the crashed ship on Kenari* have the Separatist symbol on their space suits, but Maarva and her husband refer to the ship as a Republic vessel, and then that guy on Ferrix who looks up Kenari on the holonet mentions an Imperial mining disaster.

It seems to me like the mining disaster occurred before the Empire came into being, and maybe it was a Republic ship that had been boarded by Separatist soldiers before it crashed?

*I keep hearing this as “Qunari” in my head.

MarkB

Legend
Finally got around to watching this. The sets and the multitude of accents really stood out for me.

I’m just a little confused about the timing of the flashbacks. The guys in the crashed ship on Kenari* have the Separatist symbol on their space suits, but Maarva and her husband refer to the ship as a Republic vessel, and then that guy on Ferrix who looks up Kenari on the holonet mentions an Imperial mining disaster.

It seems to me like the mining disaster occurred before the Empire came into being, and maybe it was a Republic ship that had been boarded by Separatist soldiers before it crashed?
Yeah, seems like there's more to this than just that one incident. I think something occurred prior to the flashback scenes that put the kids in their predicament as it was then, but something else is going to occur in future flashbacks that results in Cassian looking for his sister offworld, and everyone believing Kenari to be uninhabited.

Which means we're probably going to see the birth of the Empire through the eyes of Cassian and his adoptive parents/abductors. Should be interesting to see how it compares to the perspective of The Bad Batch.
*I keep hearing this as “Qunari” in my head.
Right there with you.

Celebrim

Legend
Watched the first 3 episodes now. It's not perfect. The flashbacks to his childhood are a bit of a clunker. Speaking as a GM, I feel this is a terrible background for a spy character. Running my bounty hunter campaign, the biggest problems the PC's often face is that there are no good records on the person they are trying to find. If you have the info you need to load up a bounty puck with the personal information and genetic code, you are already way ahead of the game. Criminals that the Empire has records on because of a former arrest or something have a really hard time of it and would be very ill-suited to trying to penetrate the more civilized worlds and especially secure facilities. If I was recruiting spies, I'd be looking for people that weren't in the records - zeroes off the grid that could become anyone. Cassian with his background as a survivor of what looks like a bioweapon incident (all adults died?) on an abandoned world would be perfect for that, if in fact he hadn't been at least twice associated with major crimes against Imperial rule.

But those are nitpicks.

The summary of Andor so far is that this is by far the best written Disney Star Wars TV show, matching the quality of the best written Mandalorian episodes but so far without the wildly varying unevenness of the writing that plagues that franchise. It's a whip smart show that really captures the lived-in universe feel that is the hallmark of Star Wars and which dumbs down nothing for the sake of its audience because it assumes its audience is not stupid.

MarkB

Legend
Watched the first 3 episodes now. It's not perfect. The flashbacks to his childhood are a bit of a clunker. Speaking as a GM, I feel this is a terrible background for a spy character. Running my bounty hunter campaign, the biggest problems the PC's often face is that there are no good records on the person they are trying to find. If you have the info you need to load up a bounty puck with the personal information and genetic code, you are already way ahead of the game. Criminals that the Empire has records on because of a former arrest or something have a really hard time of it and would be very ill-suited to trying to penetrate the more civilized worlds and especially secure facilities. If I was recruiting spies, I'd be looking for people that weren't in the records - zeroes off the grid that could become anyone. Cassian with his background as a survivor of what looks like a bioweapon incident (all adults died?) on an abandoned world would be perfect for that, if in fact he hadn't been at least twice associated with major crimes against Imperial rule.
So, what, you're going to disavow your agents every time they narrowly avoid capture? Because there's no difference between that and what's happened to Cassian so far.

The magic homing trackers of The Mandalorian clearly either aren't around yet or aren't in the Empire's repertoire, otherwise they wouldn't have had so much trouble finding people such as Obi-wan, or the crew of the Ghost.

Remove ads