• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Stealth in Combat

Tonester

First Post
Xorn said:
I stopped reading here; I want to see what it's like when you're reading my posts, because you apparently didn't read what I just wrote--seeing as I specifically made this cool little Cause > Effect statement, which included the unheard and hidden from view

Fortunately, I read all of your posts and if you had provided the same courtesy to me, you would have seen that I actually ended up addressing exactly what you claim I didn't address - it was just down a bit further since I wrote the top half prior to reading all of your stuff and then edited/added the bottom after giving you the benefit of the doubt and re-reading your latest posts.

and your DM to deem the given situation appropriate.

That would be a house rule in my eyes since Concealment OR Cover OR Unaware = "appropriate situation" according to the PHB. The great thing about this game, however, is that you CAN change it however you like. Like I've said before, if your system works for you and your players are happy with it... awesome. Some of us are more interested in figuring out what was intended so we debate based on things as they are written... not interpreted.

1. Do you want to give stealthers CA. Or do you want to give them remarkable defensive advantages and CA?
Not sure what you mean by this. CA has nothing to do with defense. If you have CA against an opponent, you get +2 to hit and anything else related to your class skills and having CA. Once you attack, you break stealth, and thus, have no defensive bonuses from it. However, if you started your turn behind cover, you could attack, and then try to restealth behind the cover. If you succeed, then yes, you would have defensive bonuses from stealthing in addition to the cover against any enemies who failed their passive checks. A monster can, on its turn, actively try to perceive you. Depending on how well/poorly it succeeds/fails the active check, it can still attack you (or a square as a guess) with other penalties or bonuses accordingly.

2. If you want to give them CA, what's wrong with the 13 other ways of getting it. Nice encounters require strategy and teamwork. 'Sneak attack' 'use Stealth' 'Sneak attack' 'use Stealth' isn't that.
The only way a rogue can stealth, sneak attack, stealth, sneak attack, etc is if A) the rogue is doing so from behind cover or within constant concealment or B) the rogue spends an action point. Again, there is nothing wrong with this - it is how the class (along with the ranger and even the warlock) were designed. The rules are very clear with regards to cover, concealment, and stealth, imo.

3. If Stealth is enough for continuous CA, why do Rogues need all those powers that give them CA?
It isn't for constant CA, and I don't believe anyone here has made any claims close to that. A melee rogue, at best, could use stealth every other round to gain CA unless it spends an AP... and even that is a once per encounter shot. However, as previously stated, it is possible to do CA nearly every round if the rogue is behind cover or within concealment. In these instances, a monster trying to out-range the rogue (or ranger or constantly moving warlock) is probably playing very stupidly since it would most likely have to attack the square the monster THINKS the rogue/ranger/warlock is in (at a huge penalty) or try to advance to a better position that doesn't afford the rogue/ranger/warlock cover or concealment. Again - there is nothing wrong with this imo.

4. If a Stealth check should always be granted, ignoring PHB178 RAW, why do Rogues need powers that explicitly grant checks? For that matter, why have rules for Diversions, Distractions, and Total Concealment or Superior Cover? Just assume all player and creatures Skill Focus Stealth. (Exaggerating to make a point.)
Nothing in the rules say a Stealth check should always be granted. Its only granted if A) The player has cover or B) The player has concealment or C) The monster is distracted (which can only be done one way that I'm aware of in combat) or D) The monster is already unaware of the player. All of those don't have to hold true.... only 1 of them. And you are correct, there is absolutely nothing wrong with a player who meets any of those conditions to at least try a stealth check. As a DM, I probably wouldn't allow it unless the player was trained in Stealth because it isn't very RP'ish, but that is just me. The rules don't state otherwise.

5. How many times do you want to roll per round for stealth? One Rogue, once enemies are alert, triggers as many as (3*enemies)+1 checks every turn. At that rate, wouldn't it be more fun to just give the Rogue continuous CA?
If a character wants to try and stealth on their turn, its 1 roll on their turn. This roll is compared immediately against the BEST passive perception of whatever monster/check is applicable. If that check succeeds, then they are stealthed until a monster, on its turn, decides to actively seek out the rogue. If it fails, then by communication, then all monsters are aware. And unless you have every monster wanting to interact with the stealther on a monster's given turn, it isn't that many active perception checks either (maybe 1 or 2 at most per round for monsters).

6. Since Stealth is cost free, why shouldn't all players and enemies use it whenever they qualify, every round?
If you are trained in stealth, have a high dex, wear light armor, etc (i.e. can probably stealth pretty well), then you SHOULD be doing this whenever possible - it is what your class was meant to do. That being said - If you are a plate-wearing Dwarf Paladin untrained in stealth and with an 8 dex, then you might piss your groupmates off if you try to stealth every time you duck behind a wall. But for Warlocks, Rogues, and Rangers.... I expect them to make Stealth checks nearly every round and see nothing wrong with it at all - it is a part of their class design.

Badapple

First Post
If this was just about a way to have a rogue get sneak attacks every round, then I wouldn't really care. But everything that applies to the rogue applies to every other character and monster involved in the game. For people that have played and say it isn't a problem I think it's because they are blessed with players that don't try to cheese every last advantage. Unfortunately my players will try to milk everything they possibly can.

In my group of seven players we have a rogue with very high stealth, and a paladin with very low stealth. The rogue will probably attempt stealth every round, the paladin never. But not everything is so clear cut. We also have a wizard, cleric, fighter, and warlord and one tbd. All of these characters have anywhere from +0 to +2 dex and at most -1 for their armor. Basically making it a straight up d20 roll for them to see if they can beat a 12 or so passive perception for most of their typical foes.

Let's say the wizard is in a square providing cover or concealment (not a bad assumption, since he probably starts out in the back behind the other characters). What's to stop him from taking a minor action on his turn to steath, whether successful or not the standard action is to cast a spell, then the move action is to attempt stealth again? The answer is nothing. He SHOULD be doing this. Same with everyone else. Except now he's making 2 extra dice rolls per turn.

So should the cleric before and after using his ranged spells. The warlord can wind up shouting out a commander's strike as his standard, then stealthing. Which is weird, shouting out orders then hiding but whatever it's in the rules and it's a +2 attack bonus and a +5 defense bonus (at least). Even if he needs to roll high on the die he might as well go for it, there is no penalty for trying. (other than extra time taken).

With a fighter and paladin up front, the other 5 characters don't even have to find a pillar they can just stealth from behind the two frontliners and if they roll a 14 on the 20 sided die then they are more than likely able to get effectively +7?!?! to their defenses (+2 cover +5 being unseen) if they are even targetted.

I see a really ridiculous scenario where the fighter and paladin are up front and the rest of the party of 5 players are in single file behind, all using each other to stealth and gain CA on their turn. The monster fighting the paladin is like "wtf" as the paladin directly in front of him seemingly sprouts 5 additional pairs of shiva arms all flinging ranged attacks at his vital spots.

These rolls add up. These +2s add up. And there's no reason why the monsters shouldn't be doing the same. (except as Xorn has excellently pointed out the tactics section of the monster manual and the published adventures don't include this) More dice rolling. More mods.

So, yeah, my main problem with stealth is that it's a lot of extra dice rolling slowing everything down. And pretty huge defensive bonuses and potential record keeping / metagame concerns.

I'm considering something along the lines of going with the leave line of sight and combat for one round to stealth, then come back and get CA next round interpretation of stealth, but then figuring out a way to give rogues some more SA opportunities. Perhaps allowing rogues to use bluff/feint as a move action instead of a standard action once per encounter?

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
There are only 2 classes trained in stealth: ranger and rogue, so they are the only ones likely to try it (as happened in your game). It doesn't give a defense bonus that I can recall, just combat advantage (aside from the cover or concealment itself, which is there regardless of stealth). And it's really only helpful from range, and few characters are range (and even fewer will try to attack from range and under cover or concealment, since MOST of the time the same cover/concealment you are using will also give the same cover/concealment to your foe, negating your combat advantage). And it's rolled against passive perception. So I really don't see your worries based in well founded concerns.

Have people really not tried this out much or have folks forgotten just how often your own cover/concealment becomes your foes cover/concealment?

Last edited:

Tonester

First Post
To Sum It All Up

As sad as it may sound, I've actually gone through and read every page and every post. I will try to do my best to give an example of how I interpret the rules as written.

1) Cover - Allies and Enemies. Your own allies grant you cover from enemies if your allies are between you and enemies and the enemy is attacking with a ranged attack. If there are enemies between you and your intended target, then that target also has cover from you if you attack it with a ranged weapon. Melee attacks are not affected by allies/creatures which means weapons with reach 2 can effectively attack through other enemies to your intended target and without cover. However, terrain still grants cover from melee AND ranged attacks if applicable. The text described in the PHB with regards to "your allies never grant cover to enemies" means that doing ranged attacks through your allies to enemies is not considered cover for your enemies and vice versa.

2) Perception Checks - Standard Action vs Minor Action. Standard Action checks are for when you are checking for ANYTHING hidden or out of the ordinary. Minor Perception Checks are when you are trying to spot someone who has Stealthed so as to make an attack against them or against a square you think they are in. Looking for traps, hidden treasure, a secret lever,etc during combat? Standard Action. Looking for signs of that Warlock that disappeared moments ago in a shadowy mist? Minor Action.

3) Perception Checks - Active vs Passive for Stealth. When a player (or a monster) meets the conditions required to do something stealthily and then actually performs some action stealthily on THEIR turn, the "opposed check" for potential observers is a PASSIVE PERCEPTION CHECK for all applicable observers. And since encounters usually consist of 2-4 different "groups" of monsters, there are only 2-4 different passive numbers to check against.

It is up to DMs to determine how this works for monsters and communication, players and communication, etc. I.E. If 1 or more observers have clear line of site to the stealther (no concealment or cover against these particular observers), and if these observers have some means of warning, communicating, etc effectively to other observers. What baffles me is why would people think it is any different?

Imagine a DM trying to actually have a group of lurkers sneak up on players. "Hey, I need each of you to roll an active perception check" as the DM rolls a dice. Obviously, the DM is rolling a Stealth vs Perception check and now its ruined. DMs should have the Defenses, Speed, Passive Insight/Perception Checks, etc of each player already for these exact reasons. The DM should have the highest passive Insight/Perception of the party at least.

4) Conditions Required for Stealth Checks. In order for a player to perform an action with a stealth check attached to it, the players has to meet ONE or more of the following conditions:

A) Have cover (normal or superior) against potential observers
B) Have concealment (normal or superior) against potential observers
C) Have potential observers either distracted (out of combat), distracted via Bluff check (in combat) or unaware of you (out of combat, dazed, unconcious, blind, you are invisible, etc)
D) Must not be carrying any light source which is activated (unless you are invisible magically in which case light source does not matter, or the observers are blind, dazed, etc... see unaware above)

5) Breaking Stealth. The following conditions break stealth:

A) After an attack, you are unstealthed.
B) After speaking, you are unstealthed.
C) After activating a lightsource, you are unstealthed.
D) After ending your turn without cover or concealment to observers, you are unstealthed to at least those observers (maybe more depending on DM and rules about communication... see above)
E) WHILE performing any action with a failed stealth check, you are unstealthed DURING the failed action as well as AFTER
F) If you happen to have whatever requirement (which granted you stealth originally) taken away from you during someone else's turn, you are then unstealthed. I.E. You had cover behind an ally on your turn and successfully stealthed at the end of your turn so you are "hidden" to observers. And then, your ally moves on their turn. You lost your cover/concealment so now you are unstealthed. I.E. You had concealment due to low light conditions and successfully stealthed at the end of your turn. On an enemy kobold's turn, they throw a lighted torch into a corner near you... you are unstealthed. *NOTE* This is when the Rogue's At-Will Utility Power Chameleon would most likely apply.... for circumstances where your previous stealthable condition is removed and it is no longer your turn.

6) Stealth During Combat - What The Eff? Following the rules above, I'll simply go through some examples and how I would handle them... starting with the first one provided by someone concerning their party, 2 kobolds, him running behind a corner, and then flinging a dagger/shuriken.

A) Party enters a room and there are 2 kobolds standing there staring them in the face. If the Rogue has allies providing cover to the 2 kobolds, the Rogue could make a stealth check as part of a ranged attack. If it succeeds, the rogue would make that attack with Combat Advantage. If the Rogue is in the front and/or does not have cover from allies, corners, or anything else, that rogue would have to move to a corner that offers cover. No stealth check would apply to the move action since the Rogue doesn't meet the requirements for a stealth check. Once at the corner, the Rogue has cover from the kobolds. At this point, the Rogue could make a stealth-checked attack against the kobolds with a ranged weapon to see if it grants CA or not. Before people get into an uproar, there IS pro-fluff that supports this just as much as there is con-fluff that shoots it down. I.E. The kobolds just see a halfling running for cover. Once around the corner, it is unclear to them what the halfling's intentions were. And, besides that, they have 5 other party members to worry about and scan in the span of 4-6 seconds (1 round). So, they either focus ALL of their attention on a halfling which poses no apparent threat and grant EVERYONE ELSE combat advantage OR the give all threats equal observation in the span of 4-6 seconds (their turn for the round) which is all a halfling rogue needs to A) pass a stealth check and happen to pop out and hit a kobold when it wasn't looking that way for extra damage or B) fail a stealth check and happen to pop out and hit a kobold when the kobold was happening to look that way and thus, no extra damage. Either way, as soon as the attack happens, the rogue is no longer stealthed since the kobolds now know the rogue is NOT running away, but instead, is actually hiding back there to throw dangerous objects at them.

B) Similar scenario but instead of the Rogue running to cover and THEN attacking, we'll start the Rogue's turn off with them already being behind cover. Just as before, the Rogue can attack with a stealth check to see if the attack is with CA or not. As soon as the rogue attacks, however, they are no longer stealthed. Now? RAW: They must perform some other action and tack on a stealth check to it to end their turn stealthed.... which means they could perform a move action which involves a movement 1 square away and then 1 square back. They could perform a minor action to go prone where they are and see if it is done stealthily. Either way, this is how I would run it. Why? Because it allows for counter strategies (like triggers on player movement) and it also causes the player to burn actions (if they go prone, they must spend a movement action standing up before they can attack ranged) and other things DMs might come up with. What is NOT acceptable is "I will sheathe my weapon stealthily." and now the player is stealthed. No. You may have put your weapon away without the kobolds noticing, but you didn't get out of site, duck behind cover, move and make them question where the last place they saw you is, etc.

C) Similar situation, but now carried on AFTER the player's turn. Quick Backstory: Player started turn behind cover. Player successfully attacked stealthily and hit a kobold with a dagger and combat advantage. The player then successfully moved 1 square that way and then 1 square back this way with a stealth check and ended right back behind the same cover and ended his/her turn with cover and successfully stealthed.

Now, the DM goes through each monster's turn. Most of them are tied up with fighters, warlords, and clerics nearer to the front lines. However, there is that one kobold that keeps getting hit by daggers. THIS KOBOLD MAKES AN ACTIVE PERCEPTION CHECK AGAINST THE ROGUE'S LAST STEALTH CHECK. He THINKS (the perception check may grant directions, clues, or even the precise square) the rogue is behind a set of crates and so the kobold attacks a square behind a set of crates with a crossbow at -7 (-5 for total concealment since the rogue successfully stealthed and the kobold can't actually see the rogue, but only THINKS he is there and -2 for still being behind cover... assuming the kobold picked the correct square). Now, lets assume a wizard kobold attacks a square between 2 sets of crates with a ranged burst fire spell. This attack suffers no penalties to hit (assuming its burst actually is able to hit the square that the player is actually in and that there is no other cover between the player and the burst area).

Pro-Fluff suggests, "The Rogue successfully hit the kobold with a dagger while the Kobold wasn't looking and then successful ducked back down before the Kobold could figure out it was even a dagger that hit him at all, let alone where it came from" or "The rogue hit the kobold with a dagger successfully, the kobold quickly glances over at the rogue who then FEINTS like they are running to another set of crates and the kobold quickly looks back at the fighter who is trying to chop off his head.... secure in knowing where that rogue will be next time... but not realizing that he failed his perception check and the rogue actually didn't move at all."

7) Warlocks, Shadow Walk, and Stealth: Yes - Warlocks are supposed to stealth. Their "natural race" has a +2 to Stealth AND Bluff. They have powers which directly reference Stealth. They have a passive skill which keeps them in perpetual concealment every time they move 3 or more squares.

How does it work? For my people, I let Warlocks just start all encounters as if they walked 3 squares to start the encounter. I.E. They start out with concealment and a +2 bonus to their defenses accordingly. Shadow Walk grants concealment until the END of your next turn. So, on a Warlock's first turn during combat, they can perform a move action and do so with a Stealth Check. If they move 2 squares or less, they suffer no penalty to the stealth check but they DO NOT regain Shadow Walk for the remainder of the round and into their next turn. If they move 3 squares or more, they incur a -5 penalty to the stealth check (unless they have the feat or item or power which ables them to do so without a penalty) but they do regain Shadow Walk until the end of their next turn which also means they keep their concealment (and their stealth if they passed the check) until the end of their next turn.

What does all of this mean? It means if a Warlock is constantly moving/teleporting, they can pretty much keep concealment up all the time. If they end their turn on a stealth-checked movement of 3 squares or more, they are stealthed/concealed until the end of their next turn or until they perform any of the actions which cause them to unstealth or until someone else happens to do something which takes away their concealment when it isn't the warlock's turn. This means they too can perform many of their attacks with Combat Advantage.

In fact, I strongly suggest Warlocks "set up" their encounter or daily powers this way to give themselves the best chance of not wasting them on a horrible miss.... especially if you don't have a magically enhanced implement. Much the same way that Rangers or Rogues should set up their daily's or encounters... although elves tend to be Rangers and Rogues more often than Warlocks so Elven Accuracy helps them in this regard. I digress...

Yes, they were meant to be played this way.

8) Ranger vs. Melee Rogue vs. Warlock vs. Ranged Rogue vs Etc. Staying primarily stealthed at range does help YOU. It helps you hit and it also helps you get hit less. However, being melee has its advantages as well... especially to a GROUP.

It offers flanking advantages to your teammates (combat advantage, +hit, etc). It lets healers get more effeciency out of their burst heals. It gives Warlords more "pieces" to work with for their mini-chess games and powers. It gives enemies less room to shift/work with in terms of getting to your squishies.

These are striker classes and they are meant to hit often.... i.e. have combat advantage often. Fighters have reliable powers to help curb not getting CA quite as often (although having melee strikers HELPS!). Warlocks, Rangers, and Rogues can stealth, gain concealment/cover, and flank for combat advantage.... not to mention powers that grant it. And then you have the Wizard with its many anti-stealth skills, multiple attack roll skills, miss effects, sustains, conjurations to create even more concealment (CA) for teammates, etc. And then you have your Paladins, Clerics, and Warlords who are kind of sol and don't get CA as often OR have reliable powers... but they aren't meant to dish out as much raw damage as a striker, wizard, or fighter.

If I left anything out... or if there is another scenario which isn't covered, please say something.

Do I think the book could have done a better job? Definitely. Do I think it works and makes sense as written once you understand it? Definitely. If WoTC ends up errata'ing it to say something different.... I'll start using it that way... but this is how I see it working and it:

A) Doesn't require hardly any extra dice rolls at all
B) Is pretty simple once you understand it
C) Does have fluff wich does support the mechanics
D) Lets rogues, rangers, and warlocks feel like true strikers
E) Doesn't unbalance anything as far as I can tell or as far as CSR has communicated as well

Cheers and sorry if my tone with earlier posts upset anyone.

*EDIT* Forgot a scenario
9) Remaining Stealthed - Perform ALL actions with Stealth Checks. Your rogue has been in melee and took quite a beating the last couple of rounds. Your fighter has marked it, but it smells blood and wants to finish you off. You are almost dead. In a last ditch effort, you distract/bluff the creature long enough to try and sneak off.

A) You successfully pass your Distract/Bluff Check.
B) This allows you to move OR attack with a stealth check tacked onto it. If you attack with a successful stealth check, you'll have CA. If you move with a successful stealth check, you can actually WALK/MOVE away from the monster and not provoke an opportunity attack (but only from the distracted/bluffed monster... any other adjacent baddies would get an OA). For me, the player must specify BEFORE rolling if they will shift or move... and then roll to find out if it works. At any rate, you successfully pass the check, and luckily, there is a stone column close enough to walk behind (grants cover). At the end of your turn, you decide to drink a Potion of Healing as a minor action. THIS MUST ALSO BE DONE WITH A *NEW* STEALTCH CHECK! Maybe the potion makes a big *poink* sound as you take the cork out. Maybe you drop it and make some noise. Who knows. But, if you want to do it without drawing attention to yourself or giving away your new location (behind the column), you need to drink the potion with a successful stealth check. Assuming it succeeds, you are now successfully stealthed behind a column which grants cover, and thus, grants stealth (unless one of the many things listed earlier cancels it).
C) Lets assume there was no stone column close enough to reach with your walk speed. You could try running but you would incur a -10 penalty. That is too risky and you don't want to risk the OA from the monster you bluffed so you decide to walk as far as you can. You successfully walk your movement speed stealthed and you successfully drank your potion stealthily as well, but you didn't make it behind cover or into low light (for concealment) and its the end of your turn. You are no longer stealthed. All monsters in combat will now be aware of you... including the one you bluffed/distracted if it hasn't had its turn yet.

Last edited:

Tonester

First Post
There are only 2 classes trained in stealth: ranger and rogue, so they are the only ones likely to try it (as happened in your game)

My warlock's level 1 feat was Train Skill: Stealth.

It doesn't give a defense bonus that I can recall, just combat advantage (aside from the cover or concealment itself, which is there regardless of stealth).

Once you successfully stealth, no observers can tell where you are. On their turn, they can spend a minor action to try and check/guess where you are, but any attacks will be -5 for total concealment and maybe -2 for cover (if applicable) depending on their opposed check during their turn.

And it's really only helpful from range, and few characters are range

Agreed.

I just wanted to re-iterate one thing about 4e and Stealth and Combat Advantage. This is not 3x. Stealth in 4e is not the same thing. 1 round of combat is 4-6 seconds. In those 4-6 seconds, there is TONS of stuff going on. Stealth is just as much about disappearing behind a rock stealthily as it is about popping up from behind that rock stealthily and hitting you while you weren't looking.... either because they were quick and gave no warning or because when they disappeared behind the rock, you actually thought they scurried off somewhere else. Stealth in 4e is NOT about "Hi.... I'm going to sneak up behind the leader before combat actually starts and attempt to assassinate him for 4 pts of damage.... that doesn't kill him.... and then wait for my teammates to spend 2 turns to get to him and flank him so I can do it again... but until then, I'll let the leader kick my ass some more. Do we have a cleric? Oh yeah, they can't heal from range. *sad face*"

Last edited:

Xorn

First Post
This thread is devolving into just attacking each other now.

Xorn, The Readbeard, Vonklaude, and others just need to agree to disagree on this untill something VERY official appears.

Someone roll a die, odds you win, even they win, put it aside and wait for an official ruling.

I'm not attacking anyone, I'm just trying to stop debating the rules. The rules are not up for debate here, as this enormous thread as already shown that we can't clearly interpret the rules as written.

My point since re-entering the thread was it re-iterate that there's basically two interpretations of the rules. The only option remaining is to look through every example of stealth in combat we can find, and see which interpretation they fit.

I've done that--it's why I'm entrenched in my interpretation. I really don't care what interpretation others go with--my only aim is to present a clear presentation of the issue, to help people who haven't settled on an interpretation yet.

Even if they decide to go the route of CA from stealth, that's great--I just hope the areas I've suggested people read help with that decision.

They really helped me. I'm probably going to retire from this thread again, because I don't have anything else to add at this point.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Once you successfully stealth, no observers can tell where you are. On their turn, they can spend a minor action to try and check/guess where you are, but any attacks will be -5 for total concealment and maybe -2 for cover (if applicable) depending on their opposed check during their turn.

And here is where I think you've gone very wrong. It doesn't give you total concealment unless it says it gives you total concealment (which it does not). You can house rule it to do that, but all you've done is extend hidden to equal total concealment, when the rule never says that is what you should do. If you have regular cover or concealment, foes have a -2 to their attacks. But if they have line of sight to you, you don't gain total concealment.

Tonester

First Post
My point since re-entering the thread was it re-iterate that there's basically two interpretations of the rules.

I don't think there are 2 interpretations of the rules. I think:
A) The rules are all not in 1 place
B) There are people who are biased and can't get past the old concepts of CA and Stealth (from 3x)

The only option remaining is to look through every example of stealth in combat we can find, and see which interpretation they fit.

If you aren't completely burned out on the topic already (seems like you are), I suggest you read my last novel or two and see where you interpret things differently or why you would have an issue with doing it that way and we'll go from there... again, assuming you aren't burned out (I'm close).

Even if they decide to go the route of CA from stealth, that's great--I just hope the areas I've suggested people read help with that decision.

After having a few play sessions using rules similar to your interpretation (which is much closer to 3x) and see players grow tiresome of missing on daily's and encounters.... I'm pretty confident that CA is meant to be had pretty effing often.

Tonester

First Post
And here is where I think you've gone very wrong. It doesn't give you total concealment unless it says it gives you total concealment (which it does not). You can house rule it to do that, but all you've done is extend hidden to equal total concealment, when the rule never says that is what you should do. If you have regular cover or concealment, foes have a -2 to their attacks. But if they have line of sight to you, you don't gain total concealment.

Well, I guess we'll just agree to disagree. I interpret "Success: You go unnoticed, unseen, and unheard" from your observers as:

A) They can't see you
B) They can't hear you
C) They aren't aware of you or your location

I.E. You are totally concealed from them and if ANY of them want to, on their own turn, take some action against you, they must first use a minor action to try and ACTIVELY perceive you... or at the very least, gain some clue as to your general direction for a good guess attack.

Concealment, p.281
The target is in a lightly obscured square or in a heavily obscured square but adjacent to you.

Total Concealment, p.281
You can't see the target.
The target is invisible, in a totally obscured square, or in a heavily obscured square and not adjacent to you.

Personally, I don't know how you can state that Shadow Walk (which grants concealment) doesn't actually make the square the player is in become "lightly obscured or heavily obscured if its adjacent to you" but then say Stealthing Successfully (i.e. becoming unseen, unheard, and unnoticed) isn't the same as "you can't see the target."

I mean... which is it? Shadow Walk doesn't specifically state it makes a square obscure, but it does say it grants concealment while Stealthing makes you unseen, but not Totally Concealed? Seems like people get to pick and chose the leaps they make while ignoring the leaps that other people make.

Do you really read the rules that differently? It seems so clear to me personally. And, to be honest, if that is the only thing you have a problem with from everything I posted... I can live with that. :)

I actually might agree with you that stealthing doesn't grant total concealment.... if it weren't for the fact that you need to maintain cover/concealment in order to remain stealthed. That is what makes me think it grants total concealment just as much as the definition.

If a player stealths successfully on a move action behind a pillar and there are several pillars, does a monster suffer no penalty other than -2 for cover on an attack roll? How if it doesn't even know which pillar they are behind? So, did the player stealth there successfully or not? Or, did they stealth successfully on the move, but then when they showed up at the pillar, they made a huge sound like, 'Phew! Glad I made it' and gave themself away? No. The monster, if played correctly by a DM, would make a semi-random/best guess attempt at which pillar the rogue would be behind based on: Perception check, speed, other pillars' distance from the last area the rogue was spotted, etc. Then, the role-playing DM who is trying to get into the mind of the monster would pick a square to attack. But, if there is only 1 pillar, then obviously the guessing games becomes easier.... as it should be.

But... until official word, we'll agree to disagree. I'm actually anxious to see what they say.

Last edited:

Badapple

First Post

But if you succeed in your stealth check and retain cover or concealment you are totally hidden from your opponent's view. So either they don't attack you at all (they give up on you because they can't find you) or they play battleship and target a square and attack you at -5.

Either way, it's a considerable defense bonus.

Thus my concern. It's such a good bonus to have, and there is no cost or penalty involved with trying to get that bonus. So any character or any monster that ends their turn in cover or concealment and has a minor action left over might as well try a stealth check. Heck even if they spend their minor action doing something else they might as well try a stealth check because RAW they are allowed to do so.

Remove ads